Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 8:58 AM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

"The Prince of Tides is a 1991 American romantic drama film directed and co-produced by Barbra Streisand, from a screenplay written by Pat Conroy and Becky Johnston, based on Conroy's 1986 novel of the same name. It stars Streisand and Nick Nolte. It tells the story of the narrator's struggle to overcome the psychological damage inflicted by his dysfunctional childhood in South Carolina.

"The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, but received none." - Wikipedia

(Being a South Carolina native, I am not immune to the magical spells the low country of the state places upon its citizens and visitors. Pat Conroy was a state treasure, and "The Prince of Tides" is a favorite film of many "Sandlappers". James Newton Howard is also a favorite composer, and I think he brought a tremendous sensitivity and gift for melody to this score.)

"The final film score was composed by James Newton Howard and released November 12, 1991. It was well received by critics and garnered Howard his first Academy Award nomination for Best Original Score, though it lost to Alan Menken's music for Beauty and the Beast. The soundtrack contains two songs by Streisand, although they did not appear in the film."

"Streisand initially hired English composer John Barry to write a score for the film, but Barry eventually left due to creative differences. In a March 7, 1996, Cinemusic conference interview, Barry explained his exodus from the film, stating, 'I was asked by Barbra Streisand to do The Prince of Tides – I live in New York, she lives in Los Angeles – and I went and met with her, and she showed me some footage, and she said, 'Why aren't you moving to Los Angeles?' and I said, 'Absolutely not.' And she said, 'Well, I like to know what's going on' – Barbra's an extreme case, by the way – and I said, 'Even if I did move to Los Angeles, I have no desire to meet with you once I know what I'm going to do. I can't work with someone over my shoulder, absolutely no way.'" Barry later retitled his theme for The Prince of Tides 'Moviola' and it was released on his 1992 movie theme album of the same name. The theme also appeared in Barry's 1995 score for the 3D IMAX film Across the Sea of Time, retitled 'Flight Over New York'. - Wikipedia

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 9:06 AM   
 By:   Oscar G.   (Member)

I love that score, it was my fist Howard score, I was 13 years old!!

I wonder how a 13 year old boy could be interested in this one. Anyway, I remember that after this one, I started to buy everything of his.

The 90’s for me were good times, the first approach to composers I didn’t know of like Howard, Goldsmith, Horner, Kamen, etc. Oh boy, those were indeed good times smile

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 9:14 AM   
 By:   MRAUDIO   (Member)

Nice score to an enjoyable film.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 9:30 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

It's a fine score. I believe JNH got the gig after Barry's departure because he was dating Barbara at the time. At least that's how the story goes.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 9:37 AM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

It was a lovely score and fine movie.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 9:37 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

The first James Newton Howard soundtrack album I bought.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 12:05 PM   
 By:   Willgoldnewtonbarrygrusin   (Member)

Wonderful score, it fit so much better with the film.

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 12:16 PM   
 By:   BrenKel   (Member)

The first James Newton Howard soundtrack album I bought.

Ditto!

This is probably my favourite JNH score with Wyatt Earp

Posted:   Feb 21, 2024 - 12:21 PM   
 By:   rfkavanagh   (Member)

Ha - I was just listening to the LP!

One of my favorite '90s scores, and the first JNH score for me, too. Lush, rich orchestrations and some melancholic pathos thrown in for good measure. A real gem.