Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 10:24 PM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

It's technically possible but outside of the official specs for a Red Book audio CD. You'd be risking more han usual returns and "faulty" discs.

If Naxos, Toccata, Chandos, BIS and many others can do it, I'd think Varese could.

I'm not saying they couldn't. I just don't really think they should.

Anyway, listened to this new release yesterday; its excellent. I don't know how it differs from the previous rekease (which I don't have) but as it is now, it's terrific.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 5:11 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Is it possible that the track titles and cue assembly on this 2CD has “everything”?

Many album presentations of the past feature cues renamed & resequenced just for that specific release. That may have happened here.

It's possible. There's for sure some shuffling around and combining of stuff. But the Varese description is incredibly vague about what's there.

I'm sure someone out there will make a nice chart like they have in the past (as mentioned, usually posted to JWFan. Not much talk on there yet though)

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 5:30 AM   
 By:   teacher.8007   (Member)

Is it possible that the track titles and cue assembly on this 2CD has “everything”?

Unfortunately, this is not the case. The complete score, including the "Challange" and the "Nuada vs Hellboy" tracks, clocks in at 86'. Hence an Expanded edition here, not a Complete one...

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 5:46 AM   
 By:   davefg   (Member)

Color me disappointed that they didn't include the two cues I'd always missed--as others have said, the elemental fight and Nuada fight.

Halli Cauthry is credited with additional music for the film--do you think the omitted cues were Cauthry compositions, hence their omission?

I posed your question on Filmtracks, Cauthry compositions are included while key Elfman cues are omitted. Either Elfman decided he didn't want those cues released - unlikely given recent Eflman release have included everything, or VS decided it was too expensive to license them. Situation is bizarre.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 5:52 AM   
 By:   ddddeeee   (Member)

Cauthry contributed to Domestic Fight and Part II and Part III of Doorway, which are included, so you're right - it can't be that.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 6:07 AM   
 By:   JimWare   (Member)

I posed your question on Filmtracks, Cauthry compositions are included while key Elfman cues are omitted. Either Elfman decided he didn't want those cues released - unlikely given recent Eflman release have included everything, or VS decided it was too expensive to license them. Situation is bizarre.

Unlikely to be a reuse fee thing - this was recorded in London.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 6:32 PM   
 By:   John Mullin   (Member)

I'm going to guess that Varese simply screwed up and left these cues off.

That's a huge bummer, as "6m05A Duel Intro" and "6m05B Challenge Duel" are pretty great cues (although they're mostly a prelude to "Army Chamber"). I cannot imagine that this score will ever get another expansion, so they'll probably just go unreleased.

There's only about 7.5 minutes of the score total that didn't make it onto this new release, based on the b*** that I've been carrying around for years. Of the missing cues, the two mentioned above (which total a little under 4.5 minutes) are the only ones that were significant.

But there's a lot of _other_ wonderful material in this release that made it worth the money for me. It's a top 5 Elfman score in my book.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 5:52 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

But there's a lot of _other_ wonderful material in this release that made it worth the money for me. It's a top 5 Elfman score in my book.

I listened to the digital release and yeah, ended up buying it because it's still great. And as I mentioned above the sound quality is a lot better.....or I guess 'cleaner', with less hiss and seems to have more dynamic range to boot.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 6:48 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

I very much enjoyed the score, but don't have the previous album and it's been ages since I've seen the film. Now I'm curious about the cues that for some reason did not end up on this release?

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 12:25 PM   
 By:   Gonzo   (Member)

Got a shipping notice already for the bundle of this title with the HTTYD3 score.

Funny how my bundle order containing Mouse Hunt, City Hall, and Scream VI hasn't shipped and that was placed in July 2023.

At least I received a notification that the older order will ship sometime after March 8th.

We'll see.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 12:59 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Academy Award-winning director Guillermo Del Toro showing off the brand-new Varèse Sarabande CD Club deluxe edition of Danny Elfman’s score for Hellboy II: The Golden Army! Order your copy now via the link below before it’s too late.
https://found.ee/cdclub-feb24

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=908372004623103&set=a.714721720654800

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 1:08 PM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Academy Award-winning director Guillermo Del Toro showing off the brand-new Varèse Sarabande CD Club deluxe edition of Danny Elfman’s score for Hellboy II

And when he opened it he found return of the jedi. Not smiling now, eh, Guil'.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2024 - 11:00 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

My copy arrived today.
The vibrant colours of the cover art, as displayed in this thread, are a long way away from how it looks in actuality.
It's basically a black cover with a faded yellow and red splurge.
And the lack of a title or credit just makes things drab and odd.
It's A LOT worse for me than the much maligned SERENITY cover (which I don't actually mind).
It's also got a sticker-like blurb printed on the back cover stating 'Limited Collectors Edition of 2000 Copies' and a Production Assistant credit for Lukas Kendall.
Just need to make time to listen to it now.

Posted:   Mar 4, 2024 - 4:56 PM   
 By:   lonzoe1   (Member)

Any chance Mr. Kendall could fill us in on why the final showdown between Hellboy and Nuada wasn't included?