Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Feb 23, 2024 - 4:15 AM   
 By:   BasilDowl   (Member)

We left the church to the Raiders march; if I had to do it again I'd definitely be playing 'Marion at the waterfall' by Kamen.

Posted:   Feb 23, 2024 - 4:48 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

Long story short, well maybe not so short, who knows - and some pieces were film music/conencted to film music/stage and film musicals:-

We had traditional music for the entrance of my now wife - the wedding march. We had the hymn All Things Bright and Beautiful, which my parents had at their wedding. Can't recall others right now. For the signing of the register, we had an instrumental from CD - alto saxophonist Richie Cole with Victor Jurusz on guitar, for an instrumental version of Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley's Pure Imagination from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I had proposed to my wife on a beach on Boxing Day 2005 - I sang Pure Imagination with some subtly altered lyrics as a proposal.

I played saxophone with the pianist we had hired (along with a singer) and I played Tea for Two by Vincent Youmans and Irving Caesar, from No, No, Nanette; I Won't Send Roses from Mack and Mabel by Jerry Herman; On A Clear Day (You Can See Forever) from the film musical of the same name, by Burton Lane and Alan Jay Lerner; and All the Things You Are, originally from Very Warm For May, by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II. I have the performances on video of all except the Jerome Kern.

For the DVD of the wedding, my best man had used Alan Silvestri's main theme from Father of the Bride, which interpolates the wedding march, for the opening titles and for the end titles, he used the Richie Cole Pure Imagination.

For those interested, my proposal lyrics were:-

Come with me and let's be
In a world of pure exultation
Take a look and you'll see
Into my imagination
We'll begin with a ring
Travelling in the world of our creation
What we'll say won't require consultation

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to marry me? [I went on one knee and pulled the ring from my pocket at this point]
There's nothing to it

There is no life I know
To compare with pure exultation
Being married to me
If you truly wish to be

Posted:   Feb 23, 2024 - 6:49 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Always a delight to see any mention of the great Mack And Mabel score. Kind’ve a tough song for a wedding, though!

Posted:   Feb 23, 2024 - 7:10 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

(Yes, pretend that Film Music Nerds could actually get a woman to marry them... smile )

I will never be married. I will never even go on a date.

Posted:   Feb 23, 2024 - 7:17 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

My wife's specific instructions were no "Star Trek" or "Star Wars" music. She walked down the aisle to the "Wedding March" from the "Flash Gordon" soundtrack album.

Ha! Excellent choice, sir.

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 5:21 PM   
 By:   Sir David of Garland   (Member)

My wife's specific instructions were no "Star Trek" or "Star Wars" music. She walked down the aisle to the "Wedding March" from the "Flash Gordon" soundtrack album.

It sounds like you got one past her! smile

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 5:23 PM   

No one has used disco music.

Disappointing! smile

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 10:18 PM   
 By:   simon377   (Member)

We used the First Contact theme from Star Trek: First Contact played by a string quartet. Worked a treat.

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 10:45 PM   
 By:   Indy1981   (Member)

We used the First Contact theme from Star Trek: First Contact played by a string quartet. Worked a treat.

"First Contact" should have been the honeymoon music.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 2:35 AM   
 By:   Gold Digger   (Member)

The second part of the Camelot cue when Guinevere arrives at Camelot and is welcomed by King Arthur from First Knight, this should replace the wedding march.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 3:31 AM   
 By:   Timothy J. Phlaps   (Member)

We had a selection of four or five love themes playing before the ceremony, then a huge six hour playlist of themes and suites playing through the reception (I remember going up to a table of elderly relatives and saying "So, how did you like the theme from COMMANDO?")

Disappointing! smile

My wife and I were meant to enter the reception to Howard Huntsberry's version of "Higher and Higher" (we both like GHOSTBUSTERS II) but due to a USB drive snafu, we ended up entering to "Bond 77."

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 3:58 AM   
 By:   Ray Faiola   (Member)

Our wedding featured a harpist and violinist from Julliard playing Max Steiner's "Symphony of Six Million" for our processional. The recessional was a traditional melody, Kol Doldi (Voice of My Lover).

Here are the two as performed in October of 1981: https://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/wedding.mp3

I called the publisher of "Symphony" to see if it had ever been issued publicly. I got a real old timer on the phone who said "no". When I told him I wanted it for our wedding march he said "I'll make you a lead sheet". And he did. At no charge. Imagine something like that happening today???

Posted:   Feb 27, 2024 - 6:37 PM   

Disappointing! smile

My wife and I were meant to enter the reception to Howard Huntsberry's version of "Higher and Higher" (we both like GHOSTBUSTERS II) but due to a USB drive snafu, we ended up entering to "Bond 77."

No Princess Points for you! Or your wife! smile

Posted:   Feb 27, 2024 - 6:37 PM   

I called the publisher of "Symphony" to see if it had ever been issued publicly. I got a real old timer on the phone who said "no". When I told him I wanted it for our wedding march he said "I'll make you a lead sheet". And he did. At no charge. Imagine something like that happening today???

Old timers are the best. They know what's what, they know what's good.

Posted:   Feb 27, 2024 - 6:51 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

And they are happy to share with more youthful admirers.