Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 10:32 AM   
 By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

My childhood!!!!

Only 17 minutes -- just the new stuff written for Amazing Friends, a lot more not here that I think was written for the 1981 Spider-Man series. The Johnny Douglas family put it out on Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2aKpszQXcyE4meIahW0Je2

Enjoy!!!

Lukas

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 10:45 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Hope it's available to buy.

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 11:04 AM   
 By:   NSBulk   (Member)

Available to purchase in CD quality.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/spider-man-and-his-amazing-friends-original-music-from-1981-tv-series-johnny-douglas/colb2qfs9s04b

Neil

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 11:20 AM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

Oh this is super exciting! I'm happy to see more music composed by Johnny Douglas officially released in CD/LP quality for those 1980's animated series, following on from the Transformers and GI Joe LP albums.

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 11:52 AM   
 By:   Sarge   (Member)

Well, that was ten bucks I wasn't expecting to spend today.

But in my mind, I spent it forty years ago. Great find!

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 3:55 PM   
 By:   Prospero   (Member)

Available to purchase in CD quality.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/spider-man-and-his-amazing-friends-original-music-from-1981-tv-series-johnny-douglas/colb2qfs9s04b

Neil

Best $10.07 I have spent.

Listened to it four times already.

So weird to hear the opening without Dick Tufeld and the monster, and the Spider Friends transforming.

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 4:42 PM   
 By:   JDH   (Member)

Truly amazing! I really hope they follow this up with more Johnny Douglas music from Incredible Hulk and Dungeons and Dragons - specifically the theme from the former, and this piece (used in both): https://youtu.be/GsBDMr3GKjg?si=EAKQx40fW3ugfo41

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 4:54 PM   

Truly amazing! I really hope they follow this up with more Johnny Douglas music from Incredible Hulk and Dungeons and Dragons - specifically the theme from the former, and this piece (used in both): https://youtu.be/GsBDMr3GKjg?si=EAKQx40fW3ugfo41

Great cue! But I always associated it with The Incredible Hulk. Hard to tell sometimes the source of these Marvel 1980s cues.

Lukas

Posted:   Feb 24, 2024 - 5:01 PM   
 By:   JDH   (Member)

Great cue! But I always associated it with The Incredible Hulk. Hard to tell sometimes the source of these Marvel 1980s cues.

Lukas

I agree, it is definitely associated with the Hulk in my mind. I think I can probably chart my fascination with film and TV music back to noticing this same piece being in both cartoons when I was, like, 6!

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 5:06 AM   
 By:   Scott McOldsmith   (Member)

I love these releases even though for some reason, none of them - He-Man, G.I. Joe and now Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends - ever include that one cue I always loved most from their shows. And if I could describe them accurately, I'd tell ya, but it's just me usual luck. Sigh.

Still will enjoy what's there.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 10:30 AM   
 By:   barryfan   (Member)

I wish it had THIS piece of music. This is what I've been waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imw61jzdsXU

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 6:12 PM   
 By:   Hedji   (Member)

Yep, that’s a very recognizable cue. It’s lovely these things are starting to come out, but as Scott McOldsmith mentioned, it’s a real head scratcher why some of the most memorable cues from this and the GI Joe release are absent.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 7:16 PM   

Yep, that’s a very recognizable cue. It’s lovely these things are starting to come out, but as Scott McOldsmith mentioned, it’s a real head scratcher why some of the most memorable cues from this and the GI Joe release are absent.

Keep in mind that "memorable" is entirely subjective. For example, the GI Joe LP, while missing a good number of cues, still contained, for me, most of the library cues from that series that I wanted to have on album.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 7:43 PM   

Yep, that’s a very recognizable cue. It’s lovely these things are starting to come out, but as Scott McOldsmith mentioned, it’s a real head scratcher why some of the most memorable cues from this and the GI Joe release are absent..

The first G.I. Joe Miniseries. Episode 2. The very beginning as they pan over Snake Mountain leading up to Duke and the barbarian guy having their fight is one I really looked forward to. And then the start of the 5th episode as Scarlet and Destro are in the transport out of control. Two of my favorite pieces and neither were part of the release.

The He-Man cue is harder to pin down, it wasn't used that often.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 8:12 PM   

Yep, that’s a very recognizable cue. It’s lovely these things are starting to come out, but as Scott McOldsmith mentioned, it’s a real head scratcher why some of the most memorable cues from this and the GI Joe release are absent..

The first G.I. Joe Miniseries. Episode 2. The very beginning as they pan over Snake Mountain leading up to Duke and the barbarian guy having their fight is one I really looked forward to. And then the start of the 5th episode as Scarlet and Destro are in the transport out of control. Two of my favorite pieces and neither were part of the release.

The He-Man cue is harder to pin down, it wasn't used that often.

Is it in here?

My favorite piece is the groove with the saxes in the snowmobile sequence at 7 min.

Lukas

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 8:56 PM   

Is it in here?

Yup! It's from 1:42 to about 3:03. big grin

And yes, that Snowmobile groove is another one. The sax bit is fire.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 9:30 PM   
 By:   MCRE1201   (Member)

Wow, this is phenomenal! Easily the release of the year for me so far, no hyperbole. I live for score releases of the action/adventure cartoons of my childhood.

Now here’s my question: if Dulcima Records, which is Johnny Douglas’s own label, can release this, does that mean they could do the same with his other animation scores? What I mean is, why would they be able to do this for Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, but Sony Music did Transformers and G.I. Joe? All the shows were produced by Marvel Productuons in the 80s; is it simply because they’re owned by different parties today?

(Sorry if this is a rudimentary question; I’ve never quite understood why sometimes composers can release scores direct to consumer, but in most cases a label has to do it.)

Incidentally, I just found the Dulcima Records Twitter/X account (@DulcimaRecords), where they tweeted about this release yesterday. They apparently don’t tweet much — but curiously, last September they announced a Dungeons and Dragons release coming soon, though so far as I can find, it never happened.

Posted:   Feb 25, 2024 - 10:28 PM   

Wow, this is phenomenal! Easily the release of the year for me so far, no hyperbole. I live for score releases of the action/adventure cartoons of my childhood.

Now here’s my question: if Dulcima Records, which is Johnny Douglas’s own label, can release this, does that mean they could do the same with his other animation scores? What I mean is, why would they be able to do this for Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, but Sony Music did Transformers and G.I. Joe? All the shows were produced by Marvel Productuons in the 80s; is it simply because they’re owned by different parties today?

(Sorry if this is a rudimentary question; I’ve never quite understood why sometimes composers can release scores direct to consumer, but in most cases a label has to do it.)

Incidentally, I just found the Dulcima Records Twitter/X account (@DulcimaRecords), where they tweeted about this release yesterday. They apparently don’t tweet much — but curiously, last September they announced a Dungeons and Dragons release coming soon, though so far as I can find, it never happened.

That would also be an amazing album release if/when that occurs! Honestly, Sept 2023 wasn't that long ago and albums like these can take years to produce. I remember how long the late Rob Walsh kept promising the release of both his and Douglas's music and it was around 10 years later that the Transformers LP finally showed up from Enjoy The Ride Records.

After this new Spider-man album, I played Side 1 of both the GI Joe and Transformers LP, always amazed at the melodic inventiveness of Johnny Douglas's cues (and I know that Rob Walsh has in hand in some from the latter). It isn't just nostalgia that makes this music fun to listen, I think it's honestly memorably composed and orchestrated from the top down. Any other thoughts on why these library tracks from old 1980's animated series still entertain?

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 9:41 AM   
 By:   Hedji   (Member)

Is it in here?

Yup! It's from 1:42 to about 3:03. big grin.

That's the one! It got used A LOT. Those brass fanfares are just pure adrenaline.

In answer to Tom Servo's question, this is no doubt nostalgia fuel, but there was an earnestness to the compositions. I think also, since the cues were relatively short for quick sequences, they had to do a lot of heavy lifting and pack a lot of melody and propulsive rhythm into them.

Tough to say whether I would be interested if there wasn't nostalgia involved though. Would be interesting to track it in over live action sequences, both 80s and modern and see how it plays.

Posted:   Feb 26, 2024 - 10:09 AM   

Tough to say whether I would be interested if there wasn't nostalgia involved though. Would be interesting to track it in over live action sequences, both 80s and modern and see how it plays.

Now that would be an interesting experiment indeed! In my mind, I feel like these cues could work in live action, being mainly performed by a decent-sized live orchestra, although probably only under live action sequences from 40+ years ago!

Oh, and your choice seems apt - there is an earnest quality to the music which helps it remain engaging, it's really scoring these animated programs as if they were hard-charging adventure serials from the 1930's.