Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 15, 2024 - 2:45 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

This is a horror film score from Edmund Butt that evokes the theme from DUNE/BATMAN '89 and the vibe of JNHs SIXTH SENSE.
Dark (tee hee) and unsettling, it's a combination of orchestra and electronics and is a highly superior effort in a genre that can be a bit padded out and phoned in with stingers and modern classical tropes.
It's more akin to the thoughtful and considered approach Christopher Young brings to his horror efforts.
I did see the film many years ago - it stars Maria Bello and Sean Bean* - but can't remember much about it now.
Track 6/Father & Daughter is particularly lovely, full of longing and melancholy with an undercurrent of dread.
The score was released digitally by Movie Score Media back in the day, but never got a CD release.
I know spook thinks highly of this score. Any others?

* who probably dies smile

Posted:   May 15, 2024 - 2:57 AM   

Here are the lovely 'respite' cues from the score...

Posted:   May 15, 2024 - 3:03 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I salute your tireless Butt championing, HG! One of these days, I'm going to sit down and listen to his entire discography to see if I can hear what you're hearing. I've liked bits and pieces I've heard, but not enough to draw an overall conclusion.

Posted:   May 15, 2024 - 3:16 AM   

"...your tireless Butt championing..."
---------------
I BEG your pardon eek

Posted:   May 15, 2024 - 3:17 AM   

big grin

Posted:   May 15, 2024 - 3:23 AM   

Thanks Thor.
I was playing his ORIGIN score this morning and thought the likes of you and First Breath would really dig this score (again, digital only on YouTube, Spotify etc).

Posted:   May 18, 2024 - 3:01 PM   

I've just played through his score CD to YELLOWSTONE again today, Thor, and I recall you saying that it made no impression on you previously and you passed on it or deleted it?
I think if that was the case, then he's unlikely to be a composer you're ever gonna favour.
For me, it's one of his most glorious works.
Both intimate and epic.
It's probably safe to say he's always going to run under your radar.

Posted:   May 19, 2024 - 3:58 AM   

I've just played through his score CD to YELLOWSTONE again today, Thor, and I recall you saying that it made no impression on you previously and you passed on it or deleted it?

Actually, I did like that one, if memory serves. It's not in my digital collection anymore, so it could be I deleted it for some reason (or it was one of the casualties in the hard drive crash a few years ago). I aim to have Butt reevaluation at some point, after all your posts.

Posted:   May 19, 2024 - 5:13 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

I just discovered this (The Dark). I was very impressed!

Posted:   May 19, 2024 - 12:12 PM   

Glad you enjoyed it John.
His website is full of very fine music.