Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 9:37 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

I never really cared for Star Trek III, or, to be honest, with it's Dallas-esque backtracking on the bravest dramatic decision that Star Trek could make...

Agreed, although the right decision as far as Im concerned would have been to NOT kill Spock in the first place. By doing so, Hollywood unleashed one of their laziest gimmicks for the sake of cash. Death, something deeply serious and solemn, ceased to exist and thus cheapened the very idea to the point irrelevance.

They were between a rock and a hard place. Nimoy wouldn't have done the film otherwise and his death was pivotal to Kirk's story arc. It was Nimoy who had second thoughts about killing off his character while filming the movie which is pretty rich since he pretty much blackmailed them into it to begin with.

But I totally agree, this started the "no one ever dies" trend and it's made every movie since then with a fake death or resurrection meaningless and empty. I miss the days when Bambi's mother died and stayed dead!

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 9:52 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

They were between a rock and a hard place. Nimoy wouldn't have done the film otherwise and his death was pivotal to Kirk's story arc. It was Nimoy who had second thoughts about killing off his character while filming the movie which is pretty rich since he pretty much blackmailed them into it

Very shrewd gentleman, he was.

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 9:53 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

[But I totally agree, this started the "no one ever dies" trend and it's made every movie since then with a fake death or resurrection meaningless and empty. I miss the days when Bambi's mother died and stayed dead!

Yes, meaningless.

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 11:53 AM   
 By:   Scott McOldsmith   (Member)

Also keep in mind that nobody was expecting to make a series of Star Trek movies. Star Trek II was, for all intents and purposes, the last movie. Although they were preparing just in case.

But it turned out great. Then Nimoy wanted back in. After years of "I am not Spock" this was a surprise. To give them credit, it was NOTHING like Dallas. They didn't bring Spock back in the first minute of the movie and say "never mind." They made the entire story about it. And it wasn't easy. He didn't really come back until the closing moments and even then, he wasn't "back." He was on his way.

It didn't cheapen the death because the power and sacrifice were still meaningful. It wasn't reversed before the end credits of Star Trek II with magic Khan blood either. It fit within Vulcan lore and the crew lost a lot to get it done.

Spock was brought back in a really satisfying way and that return was earned. And it gave us some great moments in the films that followed.

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 12:11 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

He could have just gone missing for a while a la Kirk before Jamie boy was suddenly "resurrected" before really being killed off. Hindsight being 20-20 and all.