Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 10:54 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

There's a lot of good scores being mentioned but it baffles me that they're being put ahead of titles like WEST and MISSION.

It's so personal, isn't it? Sometimes, a score that is not among the composer's most famous is the one that moves you the most. I have it the same way with Horner and THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS. Interesting that both that film and FATELESS are Holocaust movies. Somehow, that horrific incident often inspires the best ouf of a composer.

I should point out, though, that the far more famous ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is probably on my third place or so.

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 11:13 AM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

There's a lot of good scores being mentioned but it baffles me that they're being put ahead of titles like WEST and MISSION.

It's so personal, isn't it? Sometimes, a score that is not among the composer's most famous is the one that moves you the most. I have it the same way with Horner and THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS. Interesting that both that film and FATELESS are Holocaust movies. Somehow, that horrific incident often inspires the best ouf of a composer.

I should point out, though, that the far more famous ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is probably on my third place or so.

So poignant that you point out the subject matter of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and Fateless. Look at Schindler's List and my love for that score? This shows us the power of the score and the power of the composer who gifts it to us.

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 11:26 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Absolutely! SCHINDLER'S LIST is a stunning masterpiece of a score, but I don't listen to it very often. It's too heavy. It's like Williams scores the plight of all Jews and all of Holocaust, whereas Morricone and Horner are more focussed on the individual fates (more introspective and lyrical, in a way), which somehow translates to more replay value. So SCHINDLER'S LIST, great as it is, does not feature in my top 10 John Williams list, whereas THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS and FATELESS are my favourite scores of each composer, respectively.

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 1:34 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

Absolutely! SCHINDLER'S LIST is a stunning masterpiece of a score, but I don't listen to it very often. It's too heavy. It's like Williams scores the plight of all Jews and all of Holocaust, whereas Morricone and Horner are more focussed on the individual fates (more introspective and lyrical, in a way), which somehow translates to more replay value. So SCHINDLER'S LIST, great as it is, does not feature in my top 10 John Williams list, whereas THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS and FATELESS are my favourite scores of each composer, respectively.

Agreed. As I alluded to earlier, there is a brightness that Morricone imparts in his work even when the subject of the film is dark. I'll call it a 'glass half full' maybe or 'looking for a bright spot' for lack of a better description. The same can be said of Horner on this subject as well.

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 1:53 PM   
 By:   Bill Cooke   (Member)

NAVAJO JOE

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 2:01 PM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

One of my all time favourite individual cues by him is Four Interludes from CINEMA PARADISO.
The 3rd interlude of the track sums up everything I love about his music.
While I do enjoy his famous crowd pleasing classics, my fave scores by him tend to be from more less known films.
A TIME OF DESTINY and COME WHAT MAY (UK title of French film) are two I never tire of melting to. Possibly one of those is tops.
UNTOUCHABLES and MISSION TO MARS are ace too.
As are LEGEND OF 1900 and RED TENT.
And THE HUMANOID has 3 or 4 tracks that are beyond compare.
Another impossible challenge to be met.

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 2:12 PM   

I see FATELESS getting lots of love... and I do have that on CD, but I think I need to reacquaint myself with it...hear what all the fuss is about.

Posted:   May 25, 2024 - 2:17 PM   

My good old Dad's favourite piece by him was the Main Theme from ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.
Whenever I played that theme back in the day, he never failed to tell me how absolutely gorgeous it was.

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 1:46 AM   
 By:   Mathias   (Member)

Agreed. As I alluded to earlier, there is a brightness that Morricone imparts in his work even when the subject of the film is dark. I'll call it a 'glass half full' maybe or 'looking for a bright spot' for lack of a better description. The same can be said of Horner on this subject as well.

Ennio has nearly always a hint of sadness in his music, even for happy love stories, so it’s the other way around too. When he received the Polar Music Prize 2010 I wrote to the jury and thanked them for honoring him with the award. I there specifically mentioned his ability to write music that sound both sad and hopeful at the same time.

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 3:51 PM   
 By:   Leo Nicols   (Member)

I've just watched this film, words fail....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5VPFWEftFQ

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 7:46 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

My number one choice, now and forever, simply one of the most beautiful scores ever written - Once Upon a Time in America. Deborah's Theme alone would have made it my number one. For a close second, much as I love all his Leone scores and his Argento scores and mostly all his scores, I'm gonna go with White Dog, a superb score for a superb movie.

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 9:43 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

Ditto everything Bruce said about Once Upon a Time in the West, but my close second is Il Mio Nome E' Nessuno (My Name is Nobody, 1973), which doesn't pack the same emotional wallop as Once but has more stylistic and thematic variety.

Posted:   May 26, 2024 - 11:16 PM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

This is a list thread I can get behind :-D.

With so many beautiful titles to choose from, this is the title I return to the most. Probably not his best or most original (therefor vintage Morricone) but the execution his style and substance flows perfectly.

Posted:   May 28, 2024 - 3:04 PM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Tonight, I listen to Ennio Morricone's score for ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, and I don't think a greater film score has ever been written.

Posted:   May 28, 2024 - 7:07 PM   
 By:   Hadrian   (Member)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST