Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 3:34 AM   
 By:   afn   (Member)

Doesn't time fly...? Can it be 35 years?

Going through my old stuff, I've come across this photograph I took in the summer of 1989 at the Barbican in London during the legendary Jerry Goldsmith concert (where I was thrown out of the concert hall by Jerry Goldsmith himself after sneaking in on the final rehearsal together with five other guys).

We all know who the gentleman with the white jacket is in the middle, but who are the other persons?

Left of Mr Goldsmith, wearing a dark tie, is Intrada's Douglass Fake, if I remember correctly.

Does anybody recognize anybody, including him- or herself?

Oh my, those were the days...

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 4:31 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I only recognize Mr. Fake.

Aren't the others just random fans?

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 4:40 AM   

Aren't we all just random fans...? :-)

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Apart from Doug Fake, Jerry Goldsmith and, I think, Carol Goldsmith with her back to us, the only other nerd I recognise is Mark McGowan who is the guy far left in the suit/tie looking very serious.
I know him cos he hooked up with The Liverpool Collective (we were many when it always seemed there were none) in the 80s, 90s and beyond.
This is from the days when it felt like you were the only person in the world who actually listened to and collected movie scores.
The likes of Paul MacLean and Paul Place would visit Liverpool often to be part of its vibrant Film Score collecting scene.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 7:33 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Weird that Liverpool would be this hub for British film score fans? I thought that was only Beatles and stuff?

I do remember getting a postcard from some of this concert's attendees, since I was not able to attend myself (I hadn't travelled much abroad on my own at that time). But I doubt any of them are in that picture.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 8:04 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Weird that Liverpool would be this hub for British film score fans? I thought that was only Beatles and stuff?

We like good music.

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 9:06 AM   
 By:   governor   (Member)

Isn't it Mary Ann Fake next to Doug Fake?

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 9:48 AM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

I attended this concert. Was it really all over by five-past nine??

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 11:42 AM   

Good question. Intermission?

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 11:51 AM   
 By:   pzfan   (Member)

Mr. Goldsmith apparently also have no idea and is asking: "Who this?"

Posted:   Jun 2, 2024 - 11:58 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Haha.
You should retcon this thread as a funny caption comp.

"These bottle cap collectors think they can stay in business selling film score CDs and my music... Sheesh... I give em a year"

Posted:   Jun 3, 2024 - 6:05 AM   
 By:   Ratatouille   (Member)

We know the hour of this picture... or the clock was broken ?!

Posted:   Jun 3, 2024 - 6:07 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

The shifty looking character on the left of the photo - to Goldsmith's right - is clearly a Goldsmith stalker - sorry, fan. big grin

Posted:   Jun 3, 2024 - 6:32 AM   
 By:   Ratatouille   (Member)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv2j37ce4wo&t=9s

Maybe it can help... Doug Fake is on the left of JG...

Posted:   Jun 3, 2024 - 6:36 AM   
 By:   Sartoris   (Member)

I was there as well. The guy on the extreme left I do recognize him although don't know his name. He definitely was there again the day after for the Barbican seminar gathering. Probably a Jerry Golddmith Socitey member as myself at the time.

Could you post other stills from the event?

Posted:   Jun 3, 2024 - 8:46 AM   

Thanks for all the replies!

Unfortunately that's the only picture I have left somehow. I'm sure I took others but they're all lost, I guess.

Does anybody remember the 1 hour live radio performance prior to the Barbican concert? I vividly remember sitting there in the small auditorium / rows of seats in front of the orchestra (Where was that? Which orchestra was it?) watching and listening to JG conducting a rather intimate little concert. Afterwards, he quickly disappeared in a taxi (no autographs or anything) and was rushed to the Barbican - we of course did the same.

Are there any other photos from that day taken by others? I'd love to see them!

Posted:   Jun 3, 2024 - 9:18 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

I only recognize Mr. Fake.

Aren't the others just random fans?

Jerry didn't have fans back then, just verminsmile

Posted:   Jun 3, 2024 - 9:59 AM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

At back, right of Doug Fake with face partly obscured is, I think, David Wishart of Cloud Nine Records. Looks rather like him anyway.

Posted:   Jun 3, 2024 - 11:04 AM   

Posted:   Jun 3, 2024 - 11:05 AM