Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 4, 2024 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   litefoot   (Member)

British actor William Russell has died aged 99.

The lead in The Adventures of Sir Lancelot (1956) TV series

A regular in the first two seasons of Doctor Who

The Great Escape

Superman

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2024/jun/04/william-russell-obituary

Posted:   Jun 4, 2024 - 10:45 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

99 is incredble innings!

I normally wouldn't know who this was, but some 10-15 years ago, I went through all of the old DR. WHO shows, and remember him well from the earliest years. I think he even had a brief comeback in the Whoverse a few years ago, despite suffering from the onset of dementia.

Posted:   Jun 4, 2024 - 10:48 AM   

99 is incredble innings!

I normally wouldn't know who this was, but some 10-15 years ago, I went through all of the old DR. WHO shows, and remember him well from the earliest years. I think he even had a brief comeback in the Whoverse a few years ago, despite suffering from the onset of dementia.

Yes! There was constant talk of him coming back to Doctor Who. He was offered a role in the 20th anniversary season but was unavailable. He came back for one scene in Jodie Whittaker's last episode in 2022. I'm grateful that he did.

Posted:   Jun 4, 2024 - 11:38 PM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

The original pair of Ian and Barbara, part of the original Doctor Who team, will never be beaten. As Ian Chesterton, William Russell was the traditional male lead. Meeting him after the show in a local theatre bar I asked him what he thought of his movie replacement, Roy Castle in Doctor Who and the Daleks. Naturally he politely replied "he was great wasn't he?!".

Pleasant guy.

Posted:   Jun 5, 2024 - 4:00 AM   
 By:   Moonlit   (Member)

The original pair of Ian and Barbara, part of the original Doctor Who team, will never be beaten. As Ian Chesterton, William Russell was the traditional male lead. Meeting him after the show in a local theatre bar I asked him what he thought of his movie replacement, Roy Castle in Doctor Who and the Daleks. Naturally he politely replied "he was great wasn't he?!".

Pleasant guy.

I do think the first three companions were better than Adric, Nyssa, and Tegan. Though I liked the latter fairly well too.

Posted:   Jun 5, 2024 - 7:52 AM   
 By:   vinylscrubber   (Member)

I fondly recall watching Russell in The Adventures of Sir Lancelot as a kid.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2024 - 1:10 PM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

Good to know that William Russell had such a long life. He always looked youthful and was a very familiar face on British TV screens for decades. He also did a great deal of theatre work. Although he appeared in quite a few major films I always wondered why he never became a bigger star in feature films.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 10:45 AM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

Tributes from the Who family.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/doctor-who-pays-tribute-to-the-late-william-russell

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 5:59 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

I had just browsed this post, noted his The Great Escape credit, had no idea what he looked like on camera/who he played, and then minutes later I’m channel surfing and sonofagun if TCM is not only airing the film at the moment I clicked but there he is sharing a cup of hooch with Attenborough and Jackson! At least it looked like the pic furnished here. Bore a resemblance to James Donald but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Donald. Have I got it right?

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 9:30 AM   

I had just browsed this post, noted his The Great Escape credit, had no idea what he looked like on camera/who he played, and then minutes later I’m channel surfing and sonofagun if TCM is not only airing the film at the moment I clicked but there he is sharing a cup of hooch with Attenborough and Jackson! At least it looked like the pic furnished here. Bore a resemblance to James Donald but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Donald. Have I got it right?

It was indeed James Donald

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 11:46 AM   
 By:   paulhickling   (Member)

Pleasant guy.

I do think the first three companions were better than Adric, Nyssa, and Tegan. Though I liked the latter fairly well too.

I too liked that team, with Adric replaced by Turlough. An equally good team. One of JNTs better ideas. Sadly the writers by then didn't know how to handle such a large regular bunch.

They should have seriously looked at that first team.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 12:56 PM   

It was indeed James Donald

Oh well I gave it my best shot. embarrassment

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 1:17 PM   

Here he is, with the pipe.

And here.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 5:50 PM   

Gracias.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 2:09 PM   

Not a bad price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Sir-Lancelot-Complete-DVD/dp/B07CPK34TV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1J62UE70S0NR7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.eQ2rWnjJerfCHtOwgHPnONG4V7N6k06uNisJ9xNve-V9J-28Mnxd0UfB3trycvEXhFZVS1xZej37XZ-k8VB7gfGZORuuIorZHJDOqVbDb5rykFV3dOjlZIFHfrVb3q5Y3ibtS981r8dV-8n5_Ng8QOzudPjC1pLpL4YhivNaesIYpv8HLgPlBBP2HI8YvPtuEb7zPVlO4XEPoaY0skUfEzP04HIJh2xluivUo5su2sY.lsH4-M6tsN80sByNL8_GxCrPJCtNcLbcBK1CChdCMig&dib_tag=se&keywords=the+adventures+of+sir+lancelot&qid=1718917699&s=dvd&sprefix=the+adventures+of+sir+lancelot%2Cdvd%2C167&sr=1-1