Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 9:55 AM   
 By:   dragon53   (Member)

MONDAY, JUNE 10

BEVERLY HILLS COP: AXEL F---film clip released from the Netflix sequel.

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2r8-8xXlAQ

FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA---World of Reel reported the prequel earned only $4.2 million in its third weekend with an “absolute best-case scenario is $175 million worldwide by the end of its run”. The prequel is projected to lose $200 million.

WAKE UP DEAD MAN: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY---Rian Johnson posted a photo of Daniel Craig returning in the Netflix sequel, "Aaaaand we’re off! Today is day 1 of shooting on the next Benoit Blanc mystery “Wake Up Dead Man” - see you on the other side."

PRACTICAL MAGIC 2---Warner Bros. announced the sequel to the 1998 witch movie is underway with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman in talks to return. Akiva Goldsman is the writer.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM---Ian McKellen commented on returning as Gandalf in THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM, “There is no script, there is no offer, there is no plan.” He added if the script is good and he receives an offer, he would return on one condition, “If I’m alive.”

ALIEN---the FX tv series' working title is reportedly ALIEN: NEVERLAND and is set 30 years before the original movie.

THE BOYS---creator Eric Kripke commented on criticism that the series is too woke, "I clearly have a perspective, and I’m not shy about putting that perspective in the show. Anyone who wants to call the show ‘woke’ or whatever, that’s OK. Go watch something else.
But I’m certainly not going to pull any punches or apologize for what we’re doing. Some people who watch it think Homelander is the hero. What do you say to that? The show’s many things. Subtle isn’t one of them. So if that’s the message you’re getting from it, I just throw up my hands."

THE TALENTED DR. GRAY---Jared Leto will star in the movie about retired political science professor Dr. Lawrence Gray, who was accused of of being a cat burglar who stole over $1 million in art and jewels. Gray claimed he was set up by the family of his power broker girlfriend, who did not approve of their relationship.

TOKYO VICE---Max cancelled the series.

TRIVIA---character actor Cecil Kellaway appeared in two 1950s movies in which he played a man of science who finds out a giant animal, whom most people doubt exists, is a reality.
In HARVEY, Kellaway played psychiatrist Dr. Willam Chumley, who finds out that patient Elwood P. Dowd's (Jimmy Stewart) claim that his best friend is an invisible 6' 3" rabbit is true.
In THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, Kellaway played paleontologist Dr. Thurgood Elson, who proves that nuclear physicist Tom Nesbitt was not hallucinating when he claimed he saw a giant Rhedosaurus that was frozen in the Arctic Circle and then thawed out by an atomic bomb test...and the Rhedosaurus is headed to New York.

In HARVEY, Kellaway played psychiatrist Dr. Willam Chumley, who finds out that patient Elwood P. Dowd's (Jimmy Stewart) claim that his best friend is an invisible 6' 3" rabbit is true.

In THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS, Kellaway played paleontologist Dr. Thurgood Elson, who proves that nuclear physicist Tom Nesbitt was not hallucinating when he claimed he saw a giant Rhedosaurus that was frozen in the Arctic Circle and then thawed out by an atomic bomb test...and the Rhedosaurus is headed to New York.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   Magnus Opum   (Member)

FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA---World of Reel reported the prequel earned only $4.2 million in its third weekend with an “absolute best-case scenario is $175 million worldwide by the end of its run”. The prequel is projected to lose $200 million.

It's absolute madness that a movie can still lose $200 million after making $175 million. Production costs are beyond ridiculous at this point.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 10:29 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

It's absolute madness that a movie can still lose $200 million after making $175 million. Production costs are beyond ridiculous at this point.

It is, but it is accurate. The theater takes about 1/3 of your ticket cost, and the distributors and marketing suck up a lot of the rest. So a movie that cost $170 million like Furiosa has to make about $400 million to break even. That is why genre niche pictures like this one should never be budgeted at this insane high cost. A well reviewed film, but the dud of the summer. No accounting for tastes, Bad Boys sequel makes loads of cash this weekend, and much more poorly reviewed. There you go, that is the movie biz

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 10:58 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

ALIEN---the FX tv series' working title is reportedly ALIEN: NEVERLAND and is set 30 years before the original movie.

Interesting. That sets it 3 years after the Scotland prologue in PROMETHEUS, and 1 year before the Prometheus crew's landing on LV-223.

Sorry to hear it, but from what I've heard, it manages to reach some form of conclusion after two seasons. That's good to know, because I've been meaning to watch it as a Mann fan, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 10:58 AM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

I’m hoping that maybe with an adjusted budget Miller can still make THE WASTELAND.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 11:00 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I’m hoping that maybe with an adjusted budget Miller can still make THE WASTELAND.

It would be great if he went back to basics for that one, and cut the FX budget a bit.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 11:30 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

Sorry to hear it, but from what I've heard, it manages to reach some form of conclusion after two seasons. That's good to know, because I've been meaning to watch it as a Mann fan, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Mann's directorial voice is lost after episode 1, the only one he directed. Its docu-realist aesthetic is traded for something I would describe as "HBO house style." This style isn't bad, per se, but wasn't as engrossing for me. The first season was very good. The second season dropped its quality drastically more though I stuck with it. It does have a sense of finality at the end of season 2 but I would actually recommend reading the book instead. Jake Adelstein has admitted to elaborating more fictional details in his accounts of living in Japan and getting close to the criminal underworld to help his journalism but he elaborates very well and is a great storyteller. The TV series just wasn't able to capture that sensibility in the second season.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 11:34 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

It would be great if he went back to basics for that one, and cut the FX budget a bit.

The problem is studio's don't want to fund "small" films because they want the next billion dollar blockbuster franchise.
They're so greedy they couldn't care less about making a small profit off of a medium budgeted film. The Joker taught them a valuable lesson and they ignored it. Hollywood as we know it is to far gone.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 11:40 AM   

It took 9 years to get Furiosa out there and Fury Road wasn't a big box office smash either. Miller furiously fought WB in litigious cases between movies but I don't think the current WB Discovery regime sees much value in Miller anymore since the press has been pretty down on the financial performance here and the current regime only survives on financial performance. Perhaps Miller takes Mad Max elsewhere (he owns it) or perhaps we wait another decade and then a 90 year old cinematic wizard can once again remind us of the strength of a great Adventure, as he did in his 70s and then again in his 80s. Furiosa makes 99% of Hollywood's current big budget output look anemic in comparison.

Henry, I'm not sure if you are a gamer but the Mad Max video game from the PS4 era is quite a fun little excursion. Miller ran the project briefly before WB's video game division pushed him and his game director partner Cory Barlog off of the project and another studio picked up the pieces and used much of the material left over from Miller and crew which derives a lot from The Wasteland spec and lore Bible created by Miller and Nico Lathouris.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 11:51 AM   

Correct @ Nuts, the studio regime is going to wash their hands of this, the $200 million ding is not going to go down easy.

But Miller really worked against himself with this outsized budget, his own appetites became the undoing of this.

He is a great director, but like many great directors, his ambitions and appetites do not weather reality that well.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 12:20 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

I know you guys are right that MAD MAX is dead, I just don’t want to believe it.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 12:24 PM   
 By:   drop_forge   (Member)

It's not dead till George Miller says it is.

Bring on Mad Max: The Wasteland.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 1:00 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Ah yes, James Stewart is a laugh out loud riot in the role transferred from the stage. Just remarkable the way he "sees" the title character and turns his attention to it after being "spoken to." And memories of Cecil K in the one with the dinosaur gone amuck in NYC, all right.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 3:55 PM   

I know you guys are right that MAD MAX is dead, I just don’t want to believe it.

Mad Max is far from dead. It is a cult movie franchise for movie fans, not for the mainstream. Don't listen to the haters. They lack any conviction in their disinterest in the movie, harping endlessly on box office performance or the use of CGI. They are shallow, at best. The Mad Max series of films will live far beyond us all.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 4:06 PM   

it is harsh, but it is a business, they don't make this stuff for charity

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/mad-max-the-wasteland-furiosa-1235911133/

yeah, not the mainstream, that is the entire problem, that is why you cannot spend well over $100 million on it.
But he did, close to $200 million. It is reality, it is not mainstream material, the box office will never pay off well enough.

He could always self finance, but I think this is a George that does not have a bank full of cash like that other George did when he banked the entire cost of the Star Wars prequels. So, gravity is real in the end. Studios and financial partners in the movie biz are really a lot less than 'ok' with losing all the money they invested. It is not like millionaires that donate to art museums and operas, giving it away, they expect the money to come back, and hopefully more. So, the idea that movies like this one, and a lot of others being made, that are financially infeasible, somehow workout in the end and you get more great movies, it is just nonsense. The film makers and the fans need to get with reality and scale this stuff back to something feasible that can be successful, not just fanboy dreams.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 4:43 PM   

How in the hell is a fan of a movie supposed to demand that movie they liked cost less money? It's not my money. Why should I care? I really don't care. Miller has been making the films he has wanted to make for over 45 years now. If this were his last film, he's leaving behind an industry that is shutting out artists in favor of hacks. He leaves an awesome legacy. That's likely what he cares about. Too many people here are too focused on the money side of movie making, as though it is your money at stake. You aren't fooling anymore. Never forget that most of us here love films that were not financially successful during their initial release. A movie isn't great because it made money, it's great because you enjoyed the time you spent with it. To me, that's worth more than knowing that the CEO of Warner Bros Discovery may get a smaller multi-hundreds of millions of dollars bonus than he did last year.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 6:32 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Hes not dead, as long as we remember him. big grin
Just joking!

I'm not saying the franchise is dead. I'm saying they'd have a lot more viable franchise if they cut the budget in half.
Then I could see a sequel every few years and before you know it they'res ten of them.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 7:30 PM   
 By:   Magnus Opum   (Member)

It is, but it is accurate. The theater takes about 1/3 of your ticket cost, and the distributors and marketing suck up a lot of the rest. So a movie that cost $170 million like Furiosa has to make about $400 million to break even. That is why genre niche pictures like this one should never be budgeted at this insane high cost. A well reviewed film, but the dud of the summer. No accounting for tastes, Bad Boys sequel makes loads of cash this weekend, and much more poorly reviewed. There you go, that is the movie biz

I wasn't saying it's inaccurate. I understand the economics. That's why I said that the costs are beyond ridiculous, which we seem to agree on. It's absurd to spend that much on a movie, especially when none of them have been as profitable as the original.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 4:23 AM   

I wasn't saying it's inaccurate. I understand the economics. That's why I said that the costs are beyond ridiculous, which we seem to agree on. It's absurd to spend that much on a movie, especially when none of them have been as profitable as the original.

Thank you Magnus, exactly, agreed. Apparently Nuts just cannot grasp these ideas. Yeah, pretty complex ideas I know smile.
"I want my expensive movie Mommy!" while stomping feet and falling to the floor. wink

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 6:02 AM   

Hes not dead, as long as we remember him. big grin
Just joking!

I'm not saying the franchise is dead. I'm saying they'd have a lot more viable franchise if they cut the budget in half.
Then I could see a sequel every few years and before you know it they'res ten of them.

The stitch is that this is not going to happen, neither the film makers or most of the audience is willing to make, or accept, a $60 million movie. It HAS TO BE a gigantic gorge-fest action palooza, with TONS of effects and LOTS of crazy action that they do not film outside the studio anymore. And they gotta spend at least 40-50 million on post production effects; color grading and simulated wind and artificial CGI vistas. Therein is the puzzle, so it is toast.