Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 10:00 AM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

I saw Furiosa last night and enjoyed it. There were only 5 of us in the theater. However, the parking lot was full because the theater was showing Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. People wanted to see it again on the big screen.

I am not going to argue about the cost of movies. I think the main reason movies are bombing at the theaters is because in a few months those show will be streaming on VOD, Prime, Netflix, etc.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 10:25 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Spot on Joan. Except replace months with weeks.
They're showing up instantly on the many streamers these days.
I remember MEGAN was available on telly while it was still trying to make money in cinemas.
Someone needs to make a film that will play well on your phone.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 12:15 PM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

I saw Furiosa last night and enjoyed it. There were only 5 of us in the theater. However, the parking lot was full because the theater was showing Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. People wanted to see it again on the big screen.

I am not going to argue about the cost of movies. I think the main reason movies are bombing at the theaters is because in a few months those show will be streaming on VOD, Prime, Netflix, etc.

Hi Joan. Well, it is a theory, but it is not really correct in most cases. For example the only passably reviewed sequel, Bad Boy-4 made a whole lot of money, and Garfield, also passably reviewed, did very well, and the better reviewed Planet of the Apes sequel, did very-very well. A little further back, Civil War, and Kung Fu Panda4-same thing. With the exception of the Apes movie, all of them cost much much less than Furiosa.

So, it has a lot to do with what the movie is and how it is made, those are five cases of movies doing quite well that people did not wait to see on streaming. Furiosa is not a streaming hold out problem, it is a overly expensive reboot, with a new cast, for a niche audience with a max box office of about $200 million problem. It is almost exactly the same problem Paramount has with Star Trek movies. The old 'streaming ruined the box office" just does not often ring true. Just look, how many people turned out for Lord of the Rings.

Filmmakers can go one spending excessively to feed the niche audience, but it will never end well, I mean, you can pretend, but I know darn well a Star Trek movie is never gonna make $900 million, nor is a Mad Max.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 3:00 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

The old 'streaming ruined the box office" just does not often ring true.

But Ado, Hurdy Gurdy thought I was right so I must be. LOL. Just kidding. You made some valid points. As you said, "does not often ring true." True, but sometimes I think for "some" movies, people will wait for streaming. THE HIT MAN got rave reviews, and it played a week at our theaters. However, Netflix kept saying it would be on Net in a few weeks, so I waited.

It certainly won't hurt for budgets to be reviewed.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 3:36 PM   

The old 'streaming ruined the box office" just does not often ring true.

But Ado, Hurdy Gurdy thought I was right so I must be. LOL. Just kidding. You made some valid points. As you said, "does not often ring true." True, but sometimes I think for "some" movies, people will wait for streaming. THE HIT MAN got rave reviews, and it played a week at our theaters. However, Netflix kept saying it would be on Net in a few weeks, so I waited.

It certainly won't hurt for budgets to be reviewed.

Hi Joan, well, I mean, the world would be simple without streaming, probably better. I think the impact of streaming on theatrical is probably overrated. Netflix is somewhat a unique exception, those movies like Hitman are being made for Netflix, and people are paying monthly dues for that, so there is some inclination there to tell themselves, 'well I already pay to see that anytime I want, so why would I pay twice?" I think the pandemic did due a lot of damage to movies, and the movie theater business. But a lot of that has been recovered, and there are plenty of examples like Oppenheimer and Avatar that show theatrical films, very different ones, can be very successful in the theater. The films like Jim Cameron makes or George Lucas made, and most of Star Wars or Marvel stuff overall, massively expensive but virtually guaranteed successful, those are pretty limited. Even Star Wars and Marvel took some box office beatings. I think Miller should have taken the ancient wisdom of Star Trek TWOK to heart, massive film, kind of successful, followed up by much smaller scale, more human-centric, and practical and real outdoor set pieces, back to the heart of the creation. It could have been made at less than half the cost, and would have been a decent success, not a massive one though. But really, the audience and the directors need to be smarter, everyone is acting like they can eat ice cream every day and never gain a pound.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 3:45 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

How can there be a box office when VHS destroyed it decades ago?

I mean, that's what we were told evil VHS tapes would do...

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 7:06 PM   

good point Justin

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 7:12 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

You must be a "baby" because I remember when television was supposed to destroy the box office.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 11:53 PM   
 By:   pzfan   (Member)

Meanwhile Netflix is throwing money on masterpieces like Hack Snyder's magnum opus Rebel Moon.
They should've made some Mad Max instead with limited theatrical release.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 1:15 AM   
 By:   Grimsdyke   (Member)

Well, I really hope that the studios reset their modus operandi fast otherwise they all might end up being bought by Disney !!
I am sure nobody would want that ...

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 7:37 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

The stitch is that this is not going to happen, neither the film makers or most of the audience is willing to make, or accept, a $60 million movie. It HAS TO BE a gigantic gorge-fest action palooza, with TONS of effects and LOTS of crazy action that they do not film outside the studio anymore. And they gotta spend at least 40-50 million on post production effects; color grading and simulated wind and artificial CGI vistas. Therein is the puzzle, so it is toast.

So you are intelligent enough to understand why they cost what they do but ignorant enough to call me a fool for admitting there is nothing that you or I can do about it? Get a life, pal.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 7:41 AM   

The stitch is that this is not going to happen, neither the film makers or most of the audience is willing to make, or accept, a $60 million movie. It HAS TO BE a gigantic gorge-fest action palooza, with TONS of effects and LOTS of crazy action that they do not film outside the studio anymore. And they gotta spend at least 40-50 million on post production effects; color grading and simulated wind and artificial CGI vistas. Therein is the puzzle, so it is toast.

So you are intelligent enough to understand why they cost what they do but ignorant enough to call me a fool for admitting there is nothing that you or I can do about it? Get a life, pal.

All my love Nuts, you present the perfect example of everything I said, insistent ignorance. NOT ONCE, did I call you a fool.
Head back into your netherworld wonderland pal.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 8:50 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

Sure you don't use the term "fool" but you don't fool me. You talk down, harp endlessly on the same repetitive diatribe, yet fail to engage that I'm not really disagreeing with you but only stating that there isn't much we can do about it. Yet you continue to repeat yourself on the same topic; as if that was gonna be the solution to what could be done about high budget Hollywood cinema and the inexplicable expectation that every movie now needs to gross a billion dollars to get a good mark of press. They did it to themselves. I ask again: is your money tied into this machine? Why the hell do you care so much?

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 9:45 AM   

Sure you don't use the term "fool" but you don't fool me. You talk down, harp endlessly on the same repetitive diatribe, yet fail to engage that I'm not really disagreeing with you but only stating that there isn't much we can do about it. Yet you continue to repeat yourself on the same topic; as if that was gonna be the solution to what could be done about high budget Hollywood cinema and the inexplicable expectation that every movie now needs to gross a billion dollars to get a good mark of press. They did it to themselves. I ask again: is your money tied into this machine? Why the hell do you care so much?

It was hardly endless, I am glad you agree with me. I walk not 'talking down' but if you wanna take it that way, be my guest I suppose. If you made even the slightest effort to actually read what I said and understand it, as a movie lover, you would get it.

Have a nice day, all my love Nuts

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 10:10 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

You must be a "baby" because I remember when television was supposed to destroy the box office.

Pft -- you're still a whipper snapper, 'cause films destroyed live plays and Vaudeville.

And stay off the lawn! ;-)

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 1:36 PM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Pft -- you're still a whipper snapper, 'cause films destroyed live plays and Vaudeville.

And stay off the lawn! ;-)

Haha! You win!

Posted:   Jun 19, 2024 - 2:03 AM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

A few years before directing HARVEY, Henry Koster had guided Cecil Kellaway through a Best Supporting Actor Oscar-nominated role as the leprechaun in THE LUCK OF THE IRISH, opposite Tyrone Power. I hope you've all heard Cyril J. Mockridge's wonderful IRISH score (paired with Alfred Newman's O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE) on the Kritzerland CD (with liner notes by yours truly).

Posted:   Jun 19, 2024 - 7:05 AM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Luv it, Preston. We go back a long ways on Luck and I still have never seen it. Blasted!

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=5717&forumID=1&archive=1