Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 10, 2024 - 7:49 PM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

It is June 2024 so I am curious as of today's date what kind of music media do most of you use ? I love artwork and physical media in general and don't like buying anything else besides CD's if I can help it. That said with lossless FLAC files and USB drives on my stereo equipment I rarely play a CD anymore. It doesn't matter if I am at home with my stereo systems or on the go in the vehicles. A person can put so much music on a 128GB USB thumb drive and take it everywhere so easily ! When I do I play a CD I almost always play a burned copy. Since the technology came available I have always ripped my CD's onto a hard drive the day I get them and then put them away in a CD rack for safe keeping. Since CD's came out I am just not a fan of LP's anymore. Digital technology has gotten so good that for me atleast it is hard to tell the difference between a CD and an LP (other than no cracks, pops or needle noise). Surely I am not the only one who rips my new CD's and then puts them away ?

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 4:16 AM   
 By:   Adam.   (Member)

I do. Love physical media. It's like comfort food. It's fun popping the disc in the player and pressing PLAY. Call me old fashioned.

Besides, since the labels put in so much expense and effort producing these soundtracks for us the least I can do is play the thing rather than rip it to computer and throw it into storage never to be seen again. smile

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 4:21 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

If you count burnt CDs then I do every day while traveling to work. At home I generally only listen to music in my home office on my computer. I import everything into iTunes.

I rarely buy digital music unless there’s no other way to get a score I want. Stopped buying LPs, cassettes and 8-tracks decades ago!

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 4:24 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

A touch of deja vu but I'll play ( nothing else to do). If I didn't I'd be a bigger knob than some people already think, wouldn't I. ( Just one wall this time).

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 4:35 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

I don't play CDs anymore, haven't for years, though I still buy them, though I also buy digital downloads (but only lossless or high-res). If I buy a CD, I rip (lossless with verification) to ALAC and tag it and add it to my NAS (which I still haven't updated... wanted to do that years ago), same when I buy a download.

When there is a music album I want, I buy it on CD when:
1. The music is only released on CD (as many of our specialty label releases).
2. The music is cheaper on CD (as sometimes happens), or costs about the same.
3. Sometimes even if the booklet promises to be very interesting.

I buy it as a digital (lossless/high-res) download when:
1. The music is cheaper as a download than it is on CD
2. The high-res download costs the same or less than the CD (happens often with a Qobuz Subscription).

By and large, these days, most of the CDs I still buy are film scores from specialty labels or sometimes random CDs that I pick up for a good price, and most digital downloads tend to be high-res classical music or jazz releases.

The only time I play CDs is when I test something. (The other day I played a CD just for the heck of it, but that doesn't happen often.) I see no reason to get up and put in a CD. My HiFi unit at home can play CDs, but the unit uses the same DAC and amp as when I play the file, so in case of a CD rip, it is playing the exact same bits and bytes... there is no reason for me to put in a CD at home.
I still like my CDs though, they are (mostly) on a shelf in our living room, I can easily access them if I want to read the booklet. At home, I usually listen to music in the evening, sitting on our couch, selecting the music I want to listen to from a tablet (or sometimes my phone) and play it via my HiFi system.

On the go, on vacation etc, I use my phone for music, and I have access to all of my own music via cloud access to my NAS, plus I have a Qobuz subscription, so I'm set.

In my car, I have a USB stick with about 350-400 albums in 256/320kbps AAC format.

Sometimes if I feel like it, I still pull the CD or so from the shelf (or even the LP if I have it) and put it on "display" when I am playing the music, even if I'm not actually putting the CD into a tray and play it.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 5:20 AM   
 By:   ryanpaquet   (Member)

I do.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 5:23 AM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

I haven’t in years Everything is digitised and immediately accessible for me anywhere in either of my homes, in one of my cars or while i’m travelling (which is a lot).

In the old days when I first started collecting soundtracks, the thrill of buying a physical LP or CD was off the scale exciting but i’ve long since lost the need for that kind of thrill and am only really interested in the music and the convenience of accessibility.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 6:01 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

I do! The only thing I've digitised from CD and a couple of downloads, are backing tracks for my gigs. But music listening is still from CD.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 6:32 AM   
 By:   Ny   (Member)

I do.

I have some digitized for use on my phone, I also have some music bought digitally, so I do have an active library on my computer, but my true curated collection, that which represents me, is physical, and I engage with it physically, and the competitive careless mess that online service has largely turned out to be, has only increased it's value to me.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 6:57 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

yeah, all the time

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 7:16 AM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

I play CDs every day, even in the car, and I've never downloaded or streamed an album. The only time I listen to music online is to listen to samples to help me decide whether or not to buy a CD.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 8:33 AM   
 By:   ZapBrannigan   (Member)

I play all my CD music from the digitized files, and I scan the liner notes so they can be read on screen, but I still wouldn't dream of parting with the physical CD presentations. There is something in looking at them in the real world, and holding them in your hand, that isn't quite captured on a computer.

Of course, if I ever lose my worldly goods, the hard drive that survives in my bag will be an enormous consolation.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 8:44 AM   
 By:   Magnus Opum   (Member)

I do. Whenever I listen to music, it's CD time... unless the music is on a Blu-ray audio disc, in which case it's Blu-ray time, which is also what it is when I watch a movie... unless the movie is on a 4K disc, in which case it's 4K time.

I hope this clarified things.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 10:07 AM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

I play my CDs (and even LPs!) when I'm listening to music at home. When driving I have hundreds of albums on an SD card, or when I'm at my desk working I play files I've ripped from my CDs.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 11:49 AM   
 By:   Tobias   (Member)

I still play the CD`s in my soundtrack collection...and will do as long as I can. Never cared about those digital releases. Never will.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 11:56 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

If I buy a CD, I play the CD. I don't own any LP's, and I don't use streaming services. CD's only for me. CD-R's for self-made compilations and special edited presentations.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 1:28 PM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

I still play CDs. I don't burn it and put it away, I play the original of course.

Some days I don't play music at all though. I know I should.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 4:59 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

I do if I feel like digging through the shelves looking for something. I know where everything is - composers are in alphabetical order with scores in alphabetical order. However, it's like looking for a good book - sometimes I'm distracted by the liner notes or just the score itself and can't make up my mind. I chose In Harm's Way today and fell in love with The Love Theme and Goodbye tracks all over again. It so reminds me of the the Golden Age scores.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 5:59 PM   
 By:   Sir David of Garland   (Member)

I do.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 7:08 PM   
 By:   Micki Moreau   (Member)

I use the actual cd as the master and make a copy to play everywhere wink