Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 3:32 PM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

Dutton Vocalion has just reissued Charles Gerhardt's recording of GONE WITH THE WIND. The disc is once again a hybrid SACD but the all the tracks are in stereo only this time.

The quality of the previous Dutton reissues has been outstanding.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4652

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 7:09 PM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic Orchestra
Gone with the Wind: Max Steiner’s Classic Film Score

LP ARL1 0452 (1974) STEREO/
Hybrid CD/SACD

New expanded version authorised by the composer which includes music never before recorded

1 Selznick International Trademark (Alfred Newman) – Main Title: Dixie, Mammy, Tara, Rhett
2 Opening Sequence: The Twins, Katie Bell, Ashley, Mammy
3 Driving Home, Gerald O’Hara, Scarlett, Tara
4 Dance Montage: Charleston Heel and Toe Polka, Southern Belle Waltz, Can Can
5 Grazioso: Mammy, Ashley, Ashley and Scarlett, Scarlett, Ashley and Melanie Love Theme
6 Civil War, Fall of the South, Scarlett Walks Among the Wounded
7 True Love, Ashley Returns to Tara from the War, Tara in Ruins
8 Belle Watling
9 Reconstruction, The Nightmare, Tara Rebuilt, Bonnie, The Accident
10 Mammy and Melanie on the Staircase, Rhett’s Sorrow
11 Apotheosis: Melanie’s Death, Scarlett and Rhett, Tara

NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
Charles Gerhardt (conductor)
Recorded: Kingsway Hall, London, 7 September 1973
Recording engineers: Kenneth Wilkinson, Peter van Biene
Producer: George Korngold

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton

Stereo
All tracks available in stereo only

SACD
This Hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD player

CDLK 4652Product IDCDLK4652Price: £12.99USD: $16.55 approx EUR: €15.43
2,599 JPY
Add to cart

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 1:55 AM   
 By:   chriscoyle   (Member)

I have purchased 4 of these. 3 from Dutton, one from a seller over here. Shipping is expensive to the US. It’s worth it. Don’t know why they didn’t put Peyton Place on the Waxman disc instead of the Bogart one…..I’ll be placing another order soon. They’ve released all the disc’s I’m interested in including this one.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 2:36 AM   

I have purchased 4 of these. 3 from Dutton, one from a seller over here. Shipping is expensive to the US. It’s worth it. Don’t know why they didn’t put Peyton Place on the Waxman disc instead of the Bogart one…..I’ll be placing another order soon. They’ve released all the disc’s I’m interested in including this one.

Yes. I would have hoped for RETURN OF THE JEDI cond. by Gerhardt SACD to happen but lets see.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 3:08 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

Although there are no liners and the same generic cover art on each cardboard sleeve, I have Sony Masterworks' 12 CD box of (nearly) all the Gerhardts. It was a bargain price (£25.47) from Amazon and means I have them all in one place!

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 4:38 AM   

Although there are no liners and the same generic cover art on each cardboard sleeve, I have Sony Masterworks' 12 CD box of (nearly) all the Gerhardts. It was a bargain price (£25.47) from Amazon and means I have them all in one place!

The only thing missing in that are the liner notes itself. Plus the subsequent SACD Dutton Vocalion releases contain additional material not on that set as extra bonuses]. And the LAURA/Raksin album is not included in the 12CD Box set.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 7:30 AM   

The Dutton releases are not the same masterings as the Sony/RCA/BMG releases - they've done their own transfers from the original tapes. Previous releases featured both the familiar stereo mixes as well as new transfers of the quad mixes. This one never had a quad release so it's stereo but (presumably) at a higher bit rate on the SACD layer.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 9:53 AM   
 By:   chriscoyle   (Member)

The Alfred Newman disc has not been released. That’s another one I’m looking forward too.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 12:42 PM   
 By:   Stefan Huber   (Member)

Hopefully, they will include the previously unreleased music on future releases (like the longer "The Big Sleep" suite). Now if somebody would collect all those Reader's Digest recordings...

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 1:23 PM   
 By:   MichaelM   (Member)

Now if somebody would collect all those Reader's Digest recordings...

Is there more than what was collected on these two CDs?

https://www.discogs.com/release/11070195-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Charles-Gerhardt-Hollywood-Screen-Classics-

https://www.discogs.com/master/1073251-Erich-Wolfgang-Korngold-Various-The-Prince-And-The-Pauper-And-Other-Film-Music

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 2:43 PM   
 By:   Stefan Huber   (Member)

Now if somebody would collect all those Reader's Digest recordings...

Is there more than what was collected on these two CDs?

https://www.discogs.com/release/11070195-National-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Charles-Gerhardt-Hollywood-Screen-Classics-

https://www.discogs.com/master/1073251-Erich-Wolfgang-Korngold-Various-The-Prince-And-The-Pauper-And-Other-Film-Music

I think there's probably three or four full disks worth of material - some of it never on CD or available for download.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 2:58 PM   
 By:   Jameson281   (Member)

Hopefully, they will include the previously unreleased music on future releases (like the longer "The Big Sleep" suite).

In his notes for the first CD release of the SEA HAWK/Korngold album, Gerhardt said that all of the RCA albums had music recorded that was edited out, and that he planned to restore it on the CD releases. But except for the longer suite from THE FOUNTAINHEAD on the USPS CD and the additional material on that first SEA HAWK release, no previously unreleased music has surfaced on any of the releases. So I'm not optimistic that Dutton Vocalion is going to give us anything extra we haven't heard before.

Do we actually know what suites were longer originally? Gerhardt told Steve Vertlieb that the DOUBLE INDEMNITY suite was originally 9 minutes long (and Dutton Vocalion did not expand that in their Rozsa CD). Do we know of anything else that was dropped from the final albums?

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 3:16 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I thought there was one other which had an edition with more music... Waxman?

Yavar

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 3:18 PM   
 By:   Jameson281   (Member)

Yavar

The first edition of the Waxman CD compiled all the Waxman cues from the various albums (the Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart and Errol Flynn albums, in addition to the Waxman album) onto one release, but it had nothing that was previously unreleased.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 3:19 PM   

To the best of my knowledge the unreleased expansions are from the first two albums: THE SEA HAWK and NOW, VOYAGER. The Korngold expansion was to BETWEEN TWO WORLDS (essentially one more cue) which appeared on the first CD release of THE SEA HAWK in the late 1980s. The Steiner had expansions to THE BIG SLEEP (which I believe Tony Thomas released on one of his lp’s in the 1970s) and THE FOUNTAINHEAD which was expanded on a CD commissioned by the US Postal Service when they released a set of Film composer stamps in the 1990s.

All of the other unreleased recordings I know of were gathered and released on the SPECTACULAR WORLD OF CLASSIC FILM SCORES album that concluded the series: JULIUS CEASAR, KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES, PEYTON PLACE and THE THING along with the UNIVERSAL FANFARE and DANCE OF THE SEVEN VEILS by Daniele Amfitheatrof.

Dutton has been very thoughtful in releasing the (known) bonus tracks as he has reissued the series and he deserves many thanks for that. Hopefully he will be able to release the rest in the albums to come.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 11:01 PM   
 By:   Stephen Woolston   (Member)

Yavar

The Tiomkin disc was expanded with THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD.

Cheers

Posted:   Jun 13, 2024 - 4:56 AM   
 By:   siriami   (Member)

https://www.discogs.com/release/6031945-Various-Great-Music-From-The-Movies

Details of the Readers Digest 5 LP set, featuring some Gerhardt tracks with him conducting the RCA Symphony Orchestra from 1968.