Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 6:05 PM   
 By:   digitalfreaknyc   (Member)

In case anyone isn't aware, John is the guest on the Smartless podcast next week. For those who have a SiriusXM subscription, you can listen to it there now as they have a 1 week exclusive.

Amazon used to have it a week early but the podcast now has a deal with SiriusXM.

Posted:   Jun 11, 2024 - 10:29 PM   
 By:   igger6   (Member)

Weird…I’m a SiriusXM subscriber, but the app doesn’t show this episode. The most recent full episode is Daisy Ridley (ironically) followed by a 5-minute episode plugging some other podcast. The podcast info mentions a one-week exclusive for Amazon members, so maybe you’ve got it flipped and it will drop next week. I sure hope there’s an hour-long JW interview in the pipeline!

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 2:48 AM   
 By:   Trekfan   (Member)

Link for the June 17th drop:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/john-williams/id1521578868?i=1000658207697

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 5:01 AM   

Weird…I’m a SiriusXM subscriber, but the app doesn’t show this episode. The most recent full episode is Daisy Ridley (ironically) followed by a 5-minute episode plugging some other podcast. The podcast info mentions a one-week exclusive for Amazon members, so maybe you’ve got it flipped and it will drop next week. I sure hope there’s an hour-long JW interview in the pipeline!

We had Daisy last week and this week - no new episode. They changed all the dates on Amazon to match up to what everyone else gets last week.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 7:19 AM   
 By:   thx99   (Member)

The exclusive "early access" is apparently through a Wondery+ subscription, not a SiriusXM subscription. Darn, because I have the latter but not the former!! There is a free trial period for Wondery+, though, so one might be able to access it for free now and then cancel before being charged.

EDIT: Signed up for the Wondery+ free trial and listening to the podcast now. What an absolute delight!!! Thanks for the heads-up, digitalfreaknyc!!

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 11:06 AM   
 By:   John Schuermann   (Member)

Can you give us a feel for what he talks about? Obviously he's been interviewed so many times many of us are familiar with all the SW and IJ and ET stories. I love hearing about his early days and his lesser known works, his relationships with other directors and composers, etc.

Thanks!

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 12:34 PM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

Can you give us a feel for what he talks about? Obviously he's been interviewed so many times many of us are familiar with all the SW and IJ and ET stories. I love hearing about his early days and his lesser known works, his relationships with other directors and composers, etc.

Thanks!

If it's anything like the other Smartless interviews, it'll be five minutes of them telling him what a legend he is, then ten minutes of them busting each other's balls, then rinse and repeat. I say that as a fan of the show, but they are not typically very interesting interviews. I would hope to be proven wrong but probably best to temper expectations here.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 12:46 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

As thx99 says, you can listen to it right now by just signing up for a free trial of a Wondery+ subscription, listening to it, then canceling the subscription.

https://wondery.com/shows/smartless/episode/9280-john-williams/

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 1:51 PM   
 By:   W. David Lichty [Lorien]   (Member)

There is some of what Mike Esssss described, and they hit on experiential losses due to modernization of cinema, functional employment of the Jaws theme, Martin Ritt's suspicion of music vs. Steven's reliance on it, live-to-picture score concerts, intimidating scores for him to approach, the hosts' having understood some complex, musically communicated things as children, Johnny playing piano on others' scores, and golf.

Williams does not have the soft, warm sound I've heard as his voice for so many years. He's a little rougher, and I mean both in the quality of his voice but also maybe in his perspective, a little bit, like he's ... he's still naturally polite and gracious, but he's not dipping into the effort, here. Meanwhile, the guys are better than I expected from three comedians, approaching a topic which usually requires either some real scholarly knowledge or deep fandom to exceed, ... let's say movie junket level questions. It was much more interesting than I'd expected it to be.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 2:13 PM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

Williams does not have the soft, warm sound I've heard as his voice for so many years. He's a little rougher, and I mean both in the quality of his voice but also maybe in his perspective, a little bit, like he's ... he's still naturally polite and gracious, but he's not dipping into the effort, here. Meanwhile, the guys are better than I expected from three comedians, approaching a topic which usually requires either some real scholarly knowledge or deep fandom to exceed, ... let's say movie junket level questions. It was much more interesting than I'd expected it to be.

Nice! Bateman's a filmmaker and Hayes is a classical musician and a nerd (I imagine Williams was his guest), so it sounds like they brought some of that to the conversation. Looking forward to hearing this.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 2:47 PM   
 By:   thx99   (Member)

Nice! Bateman's a filmmaker and Hayes is a classical musician and a nerd (I imagine Williams was his guest), so it sounds like they brought some of that to the conversation. Looking forward to hearing this.

Hayes definitely led the interview and asked the more interesting questions IMO. Bateman and Arnett were sort of out of their element with Williams, other than the golf connection. I'm not 100% certain that Williams even knew who Bateman and Arnett were, but he clearly knew of Hayes' portrayal of Oscar Levant on Broadway, because that was the first topic discussed, prompted by Williams no less.

Even though some of the same, well-tread anecdotes were brought up, I really enjoyed listening to it. Williams elicited a few laughs from the hosts, which I found charming. I literally LOL'ed at Williams' comment after hearing a recording of Hayes playing the ET End Credits.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 3:39 PM   

Meanwhile, the guys are better than I expected from three comedians

None of them are comedians.

They are actors/directors/producers/writers.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 7:18 PM   

And comedians, to a one.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 7:52 PM   

And comedians, to a one.

I have no idea what that means. None of them are comedians. They don't do stand-up.

Posted:   Jun 13, 2024 - 12:06 AM   
 By:   Randy Watson   (Member)

And comedians, to a one.

All three may be known for comedic roles, and sure, they are funny guys but that don't make them comedians.

Posted:   Jun 13, 2024 - 5:13 AM   

All three may be known for comedic roles, and sure, they are funny guys but that don't make them comedians.

Good grief, this has become silly.

comedian

Cambridge
a person whose job is to make people laugh by telling jokes and amusing stories or by copying the behavior or speech of famous people:

Mirian-Webster
a comical individual
specifically : a professional entertainer who uses any of various physical or verbal means to be amusing

Dictionary.com
a professional entertainer who amuses by relating anecdotes, acting out comical situations, engaging in humorous repartee, etc.
an actor in comedy.
a writer of comedy.
any comical or amusing person.

All three of these guys do all of those things much of the time in much of their work (and in interviews, to be honest). This, by the way, is a compliment, so the defensiveness I think I'm reading, and maybe that's a misread on my part, seems a little odd to me. Many comedians can play/write/produce straight material, and frequently rate well above average when they do, while the reverse is not as frequently the case. Successful comedy generally requires intelligence and strong observational skills.

But in the context of a podcast, comedy focused shows tend to err on the side of Keeping Things Funny, regularly steering conversations out of seriousness and back into making the room laugh as quickly as possible, especially when talking about things in which the hosts have no expertise, and the odds of three comedians having the slightly higher than normal bar of conversancy in our nichey topic were pretty low. That didn't happen here, and didn't even almost happen. These three got past their quippy show intro, and the worship and honor stage, pretty quickly, and just had a nice, reasonably thoughtful conversation with Williams which did not require him to talk down or briefly educate as he went along. For a comedy-interview podcast, that was a nice surprise. While Hayes might just be one of us, I even thought Bateman and Arnett had some stronger than usual insights about how film music had worked for them, unusual not for comedians, but for people in general - interviewers in general, to be honest. The surprise for me was that they allowed themselves to do it.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 2:32 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

That was better than expected, but not something I'll return to.

I've slowly come to terms with the fact that I will never experience my dream interview with Williams (someone extremely knowledgable about the man, but not fanboy-gushing, and focussing primarily on his early days and work).

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 3:51 AM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

it kind a reminded me of the candid Bernard Herrmann interview that was conducted at his UK residence in the 70's. ofcourse unlike Williams, Herrmann characteristicaly lost his cool in the middle and rattled the guys big grin. Its all available in the THE BRIDE WORE BLACK Twilight blu ray package and as a seperate release elsewhere.