Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 1:49 PM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

The phenomenal success of the Bond scores (and title songs) as well as films like THE GRADUATE and EASY RIDER led to Hollywood producers increasingly seeking out more pop-oriented music for their films that could be marketed as soundtrack albums. The Hitchcock/Herrmann fallout over TORN CURTAIN is perhaps the most significant example of how times were changing.

Most of the Silver Age composers like Henry Mancini, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith, Lalo Schifrin, Johnny Williams etc. could easily adapt to and incorporate the contemporary groove into their scores when appropriate.

Although it was definitely a period of transition and adjustment, the orchestra did not go away completely.

Your post reminded me of Rozsa's wonderful score for TIME AFTER TIME. It was almost scrapped because some studio suits thought it was too old fashioned. The director, Nicolas Meyer, had to fight hard to keep it in.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 2:18 PM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Your post reminded me of Rozsa's wonderful score for TIME AFTER TIME. It was almost scrapped because some studio suits thought it was too old fashioned. The director, Nicolas Meyer, had to fight hard to keep it in.

And right he was!

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 2:35 PM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Well, STAR WARS did change Hollywood... a lot. There is a clear "before/after" STAR WARS that's quite visible when you look at Hollywood history.

If the subject is music, it did not change a thing. It restored what was.

A restoration is obviously a change, is it not?

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 4:59 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Hmm.

change = something different than before
change back= restore to the way it was before

So, when you get down to it, we’re pretty much on the same page. smile

Posted:   Jun 13, 2024 - 5:23 AM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

It's not just that Star Wars was orchestral, it's also that--for better or worse--it drew so heavily on that Korngold style: sumptuous, energetic, and very, very present.

Posted:   Jun 13, 2024 - 5:26 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

Hmm.

Yes, we are. Williams' music to STAR WARS was an intentional throwback to the lush romantic scores by the likes of Korngold and Steiner.

Posted:   Jun 13, 2024 - 7:36 AM   
 By:   ZardozSpeaks   (Member)

Yes, we are. Williams' music to STAR WARS was an intentional throwback to the lush romantic scores by the likes of Korngold and Steiner.

I tend to hear William Walton, too, in Williams. Another factor in this 'comeback' is to hear LSO in 1977 Dolby Stereo and not the monaural sound of a 1939 Steiner or Korngold.

Posted:   Jun 13, 2024 - 8:12 AM   
 By:   William R.   (Member)

I would say that STAR WARS set into motion a good period when "big" neo-Romantic scores became not only tolerated, but encouraged by producers. That especially is unique. Still, that period was relatively short (I'd say 1977-1983, the original triology run) and many of the post STAR WARS films that inspired such scores (like KRULL or HEAVY METAL) were not enthusiastically received. Many beloved scores were written during this period, but many of the films they were written for failed, unless they had the names of Spielberg or Lucas on them. By the mid-80s synths were becoming dominant.

It was a great period for scores, but a very lean period for releases of these scores. Lots of classics we now enjoy on records went unreleased for decades. That's why I'm really not nostalgic for the era itself, even though I'm definitely nostalgic for the talent that was present.

Posted:   Jun 13, 2024 - 9:24 AM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

Hmm.

With a touch of Russian masters like Prokofiev thrown in for good measure.

Posted:   Jun 13, 2024 - 10:13 AM   
 By:   slint   (Member)

Personally I don't see any significant before and after 1977 in scores in general, except for the general trends in popular music, but maybe it is just because my favourite composers are maybe not the same as those who posted so far.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 2:40 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Of course it never went away. It was just a fashion/out-of-fashion thing, as others above have pointed out. Whenever people say that, it's just a tabloid/convenient way of looking at history, or because they don't know any better.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 3:44 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

Of course it never went away. It was just a fashion/out-of-fashion thing, as others above have pointed out. Whenever people say that, it's just a tabloid/convenient way of looking at history, or because they don't know any better.

What he said.