Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 14, 2024 - 7:49 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

So, as my favourite film composer, I'm thinking of Jerry Goldsmith first, where he had a certain 'sound' for similar scenes in films or overall (not in a copying way but in the tone of a score or cue):-

'Small town': Raggedy Man, Small Soldiers, Gremlins, Dennis (the Menace), Matinee, Love Field, Hoosiers, The Flim-Flam Man.

'Nature': Congo, The Ghost and the Darkness, Medicine Man, The River Wild, the deer hunt in Powder.

'European': The Last Run, The Cassandra Crossing, Night Crossing.

Posted:   Jun 14, 2024 - 8:07 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

And.....?

Posted:   Jun 14, 2024 - 8:19 AM   
 By:   MichaelM   (Member)

Don't forget "Dark Sex":

THE MEPHISTO WALTZ, CHINATOWN, THE REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD, MAGIC, PLAYERS, BASIC INSTINCT

Posted:   Jun 14, 2024 - 3:15 PM   

And.....?

And can you think of others by either Jerry or other composers where they have their own sound for similar locales/situations etc?

Posted:   Jun 14, 2024 - 3:42 PM   
 By:   Bill Carson, Earl of Poncey   (Member)

No

Posted:   Jun 14, 2024 - 3:53 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

I call what you are referring to as "signature sounds." Bernstein's westerns like The Magnificent Seven, Sons of Katie Elder, Comancheros and others have Bernstein's signature rhythms in those westerns.

Posted:   Jun 15, 2024 - 3:35 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

What about "existential angst and paranoia"? From FREUD to SECONDS to THE ILLUSTRATED MAN to THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL. I love that kind of quasi-Baroque/ Renaissance sound which Goldsmith exploited, but it spilled over to his Euoroscores too, like THE LAST RUN. These things are hard to compartmentalise.

Posted:   Jun 15, 2024 - 4:27 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

And.....?

And can you think of others by either Jerry or other composers where they have their own sound for similar locales/situations etc?

Without checking there are probably numerous scenes where what I think you mean applies. When I was younger it used to be called ' style'. Pick another composer and you could say the same thing, Couldn't you?

Posted:   Jun 15, 2024 - 4:32 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

James Horner- Danger. (The Danger Motif)
How am I the first to say this?!

Posted:   Jun 15, 2024 - 5:10 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Goldsmith's Dennis The Menace always reminds me of his First Great Train Robbery, but I don't think the naughty little bastard robs a train (or even gets on one).

Posted:   Jun 15, 2024 - 5:25 AM   
 By:   moolik   (Member)

Just wondering..you are quoting "The deer hunt " in POWDER.cant find the track...not even on the expansion by INTRADA?

Posted:   Jun 16, 2024 - 11:51 PM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Every composer has his or her trappings. I find hilarious that Bernstein used the same motif for electrotherapy (The Caretakers) and the robot in Saturn 3.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 1:23 AM   

Just wondering..you are quoting "The deer hunt " in POWDER.cant find the track...not even on the expansion by INTRADA?

It was off the top of my head, I'll check out the CD and confirm the cue title.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 3:51 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Since prolific composers do a lot of similar things in a similar idiom, you can basically do this for everyone.

A random example, Williams' Americana scores - which can be further subdivided into "earthy and twangy" (ROSEWOOD, THE COWBOYS, THE MAN WHO LOVED CAT DANCING, THE REIVERS, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS, THE RIVER etc.) or more "reverant" (BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY, AMISTAD, LINCOLN, JFK etc.).

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 4:08 AM   

Since prolific composers do a lot of similar things in a similar idiom, you can basically do this for everyone.

A random example, Williams' Americana scores - which can be further subdivided into "earthy and twangy" (ROSEWOOD, THE COWBOYS, THE MAN WHO LOVED CAT DANCING, THE REIVERS, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS, THE RIVER etc.) or more "reverant" (BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY, AMISTAD, LINCOLN, JFK etc.).

It's just an interesting thing; each composer can approach things differently to the next and hearing similar techniques for similar scenes or overarching 'feel' of a film from composers one follows, is like a comfortable pair of shoes and strangely enjoyable.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 4:16 AM   
 By:   Magnus Opum   (Member)

Williams's atonal "creepy crawler" music for the critters in The Magic Tree on Dagobah was a technique that he used again for the Raiders snakes.