Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 9:03 AM   
 By:   dragon53   (Member)

MONDAY, JUNE 17

AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN---Miles Teller (TOP GUN: MAVERICK) will star in the Paramount Pictures remake of the 1982 movie that starred Richard Gere, Debra Winger and Louis Gossett, Jr. The original movie's synopsis says, "Zack Mayo (Gere), a new member of the U.S. Navy, has a bad attitude. When he signs up for the Aviation Academy, he is met with the strict leadership of Sgt. Emil Foley (Gossett Jr.), who gives Zack a rude awakening in terms of relating with other people. Through Foley’s guidance — and an unexpected romance with Paula (Debra Winger), an outsider who hangs around the naval base — Zack learns some tough lessons and discovers what he truly wants out of life.”

ENEMY MINE---20th Century remake of the 1985 sci fi movie that starred Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett, Jr. is underway with Terry Matalas (STAR TREK: PICARD) as the writer. The original movie was about an Earth pilot and an alien pilot who shot each other down and are stranded on a remote planet where they team up in order to survive.

BLADE---Wesley Snipes posted about the the reboot movie's turmoil in losing its second director.

STARFLEET ACADEMY---producer Alex Kurtzman commented on the prequel tv series starring Holly Hunter, “There’s a specific reason for that. As the father of a 17-year-old boy, I see what my son is feeling as he looks at the world and to his future. I see the uncertainty; I see all the things we took for granted as given are not certainties for him.
I see him recognizing he’s inheriting an enormous mess to clean up and it’s going to be on his generation to figure out how to do that, and that’s a lot to ask of a kid.
My thinking was, if we set STARFLEET ACADEMY in the halcyon days of the Federation where everything was fine, it’s not going to speak to what kids are going through right now. It’ll be a nice fantasy, but it’s not really going to be authentic.
What’ll be authentic is to set it in the timeline where this is the first class back after over 100 years, and they are coming into a world that is only beginning to recover from a cataclysm – which was the Burn, as established on STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, where the Federation was greatly diminished.
So they’re the first who’ll inherit, who’ll re-inherit, the task of exploration as a primary goal, because there just wasn’t room for that during the Burn – everybody was playing defense.”

DOCTOR WHO---showrunner Russell T. Davies commented on the show's low ratings, “In coming back, I wanted to make it simpler and I wanted to make it younger. Those two things are often not discussed – you read reactions to it and people are missing that. It’s simpler and younger – and it is working.
The under-16s and the 16-34 audience as well is massive. It’s not doing that well in the ratings, but it is doing phenomenally well with the younger audience that we wanted.”
He added, “They might not be the ratings we’d love. We always want higher. But they are building over the 28-day period. Episode one, ‘Space Babies,’ is already up to 5.6 million and counting. So it is getting there. And actually, I was brought back to bring in a younger audience. That’s been massively successful.
The audience no one ever gets are the under-30s. They just don’t watch television anymore. But those figures are astronomic for Doctor Who, it’s their top program in that bracket. I never thought it was possible, to be honest. But according to the people who juggle the numbers, all targets have been reached and exceeded. The BBC are running around like mad things.”

THE THREE-BODY PROBLEM---Chinese movie underway based on the novel and directed by Zhang Yimou (HERO). It is not connected to the Netflix tv series.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN---Austin Butler commented on rumors he will star in the reboot movie, “Oh really, I haven’t heard about that. I loved PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN. That just reminded me of when I was a kid. In elementary school, we had to make these posters that had like your favorite music, your favorite actors. And at that time – I don’t know what grade, it must have been fourth grade, third grade or something – but it was — PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN was on there.”

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 8---the sequel budget is reportedly "running well over $300 million". MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE-DEAD RECKONING PART I reportedly lost $100 million.

TRIVIA---Father's Day movie trivia.
In INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, Sean Connery played Dr. Henry Jones, Sr. and Robert Eddison played the Grail Knight.
Ironically, Connery was an anti-aircraft gunner on the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Formidable and Eddison was a lieutenant on the Formidable's sistership, HMS Illustrious, in World War II.

In INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, Sean Connery played Dr. Henry Jones, Sr., and he was an anti-aircraft gunner on the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Formidable.

In INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, Robert Eddison played the Grail Knight, and he was a lieutenant on the Formidable's sistership, HMS Illustrious, in World War II.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Those Russell Davies comments are a hoot.
He back chats every fact detailed with some made up hyperbole about how great and successful he is (often sounding quite contradictory).

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 10:45 AM   
 By:   Bill Carson, Earl of Poncey   (Member)

"The under-16s and the 16-34 audience as well is massive. It’s not doing that well in the ratings, but it is doing phenomenally well with the younger audience that we wanted.”

So the under 34s like it but the over 34s think it's a pile of shite? Lol

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 11:18 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

He back chats every fact detailed with some made up hyperbole about how great and successful he is (often sounding quite contradictory).

"The under-16s and the 16-34 audience as well is massive. It’s not doing that well in the ratings, but it is doing phenomenally well with the younger audience that we wanted.”

So the under 34s like it but the over 34s think it's a pile of shite? Lol

WTF is he saying? Talk about word salad. The ratings suck but we're killing with the demographics we wanted. So you got three people under 16 watching and 10 people between 16 and 34 watching the series? Because that is the only way to read that. LOL! This is like f@cking Elon Musk talk.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 12:20 PM   
 By:   The Thing   (Member)

Lol, agreed.

"I wanted to make it simpler and I wanted to make it younger"

I don't recall seeing this remit mentioned from the outset. So, yes, it looks like the standard type of retrospective justification to fit the current outcome scenario.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 2:28 PM   
 By:   Clark Wayne   (Member)

Translation-We made it to an already out-dated agenda and we effed up and no-one is watching. Oops, sorry Disney....

This will be the 3rd time that Enemy Mine has been filmed, as the 1st version was abandoned, shut down and refilmed with a different director and redesigned radically. And sadly it still tanked. I loved it, even though the UK version had nearly 30 minutes cut after the poor US reception.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 2:54 PM   

Translation-We made it to an already out-dated agenda and we effed up and no-one is watching. Oops, sorry Disney....

This will be the 3rd time that Enemy Mine has been filmed, as the 1st version was abandoned, shut down and refilmed with a different director and redesigned radically. And sadly it still tanked. I loved it, even though the UK version had nearly 30 minutes cut after the poor US reception.

Not sorry for Disney, they probably encouraged if not pushed for most of this mess.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 4:16 PM   
 By:   Scott McOldsmith   (Member)

ENEMY MINE---20th Century remake of the 1985 sci fi movie that starred Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett, Jr. is underway with Terry Matalas (STAR TREK: PICARD) as the writer. The original movie was about an Earth pilot and an alien pilot who shot each other down and are stranded on a remote planet where they team up in order to survive.

Let's see how he fares writing a movie that doesn't lean on decades of nostalgia, references and call backs.

STARFLEET ACADEMY---producer Alex Kurtzman commented on the prequel tv series starring Holly Hunter, “There’s a specific reason for that. As the father of a 17-year-old boy, I see what my son is feeling as he looks at the world and to his future. I see the uncertainty; I see all the things we took for granted as given are not certainties for him.
I see him recognizing he’s inheriting an enormous mess to clean up and it’s going to be on his generation to figure out how to do that, and that’s a lot to ask of a kid.
My thinking was, if we set STARFLEET ACADEMY in the halcyon days of the Federation where everything was fine, it’s not going to speak to what kids are going through right now. It’ll be a nice fantasy, but it’s not really going to be authentic.
What’ll be authentic is to set it in the timeline where this is the first class back after over 100 years, and they are coming into a world that is only beginning to recover from a cataclysm – which was the Burn, as established on STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, where the Federation was greatly diminished.
So they’re the first who’ll inherit, who’ll re-inherit, the task of exploration as a primary goal, because there just wasn’t room for that during the Burn – everybody was playing defense.”

It worked in the 1960's when shit was just as bad, if not worse.

So, basically, confirmed: Kurtzman doesn't get it.

Star Trek isn't about "coming out of the cataclysm." It's about how we wound up. The bright, promising future that awaits us.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh, even Rick Berman got it.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 6:15 PM   
 By:   Magnus Opum   (Member)

Let's see how he fares writing a movie that doesn't lean on decades of nostalgia, references and call backs.

It worked in the 1960's when shit was just as bad, if not worse.

So, basically, confirmed: Kurtzman doesn't get it.

Star Trek isn't about "coming out of the cataclysm." It's about how we wound up. The bright, promising future that awaits us.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh, even Rick Berman got it.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking along those lines here. I can't believe anybody enjoyed the blatant nostalgia-fest that was Picard (or any of the Trek-in-name-only bullshit of today). And yes, Star Trek is about a brighter future to help us aspire. It doesn't need to be dark and gritty. That's the standard line for people without inspiration or vision to fuck up extant properties and should never have been where Star Trek went. Even at its darkest, Deep Space Nine was about hope. These people should never have been let within five hundred feet of this franchise. Star Trek used to be unique. Now it's just a part of the generic, grey mash that keeps getting extruded into the world as art for the lowest common denominator.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 1:42 AM   
 By:   Moonlit   (Member)

AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN---Miles Teller (TOP GUN: MAVERICK) will star in the Paramount Pictures remake of the 1982 movie that starred Richard Gere, Debra Winger and Louis Gossett, Jr. The original movie's synopsis says, "Zack Mayo (Gere), a new member of the U.S. Navy, has a bad attitude. When he signs up for the Aviation Academy, he is met with the strict leadership of Sgt. Emil Foley (Gossett Jr.), who gives Zack a rude awakening in terms of relating with other people. Through Foley’s guidance — and an unexpected romance with Paula (Debra Winger), an outsider who hangs around the naval base — Zack learns some tough lessons and discovers what he truly wants out of life.”

Can't wait! big grin

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 8---the sequel budget is reportedly "running well over $300 million". MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE-DEAD RECKONING PART I reportedly lost $100 million.

Apparently -$100 million isn't enough of a hint to keep the budget down.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 2:41 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

Reboot, sequel, remake, reimagining( posh for remake) where would they be without them. Save money- do away with writers. Hire, instead, (old) script arrangers. Coz that's all they do( most of the time).

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 3:45 AM   

We all feared A.I. generated scripts but could it be any worse than what we’re getting now?

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 5:16 AM   
 By:   TheAvenger   (Member)

It was only a matter of time before paramount remade Officer & A Gentleman despite the fact that the original still stands up and really hasn’t dated. Not sure how they are going to fill Lou Gosset’s army boots and Miles Teller doesn’t have an ounce of Richard Gere’s charisma.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 5:34 AM   

It was only a matter of time before paramount remade Officer & A Gentleman despite the fact that the original still stands up and really hasn’t dated. Not sure how they are going to fill Lou Gosset’s army boots and Miles Teller doesn’t have an ounce of Richard Gere’s charisma.

Can this even be made today? Yelling at a recruit might be considered emotional abuse.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 7:21 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

Surely he won't be allowed to just walk in and sweep her up off her feet...WITHOUT ASKING PERMISSION!!!
And she'll already be in a lesbian relationship anyway big grin

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 8:05 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

He'll need one of those "South Park" P.C. Principal pussy crushing consent forms.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 8:33 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Surely he won't be allowed to just walk in and sweep her up off her feet...

I think it's more likely SHE will sweep HIM off of his feet.

In seriousness, I'm curious how they're going to twist the premise to fit "current sensibilities".

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 8:36 AM   

It’s an iconic movie with an iconic cast. Really no reason to remake it.
LGJ won an Oscar for Pete’s sake!

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 8:40 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

In seriousness, I'm curious how they're going to twist the premise to fit "current sensibilities".

Don't worry. They will manage to twist it into shitness.

Posted:   Jun 19, 2024 - 1:59 AM   
 By:   Moonlit   (Member)

Reboot, sequel, remake, reimagining( posh for remake) where would they be without them. Save money- do away with writers. Hire, instead, (old) script arrangers. Coz that's all they do( most of the time).

Does get a bit conveyor beltish looking at the movie headlines.