Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 1:00 PM   
 By:   thx99   (Member)

So choir-wise, they picked the best version?

Based on the track length, yes. If you like more choir, that is. wink

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 3:22 PM   
 By:   connorb93   (Member)

who's asking that lol?

a guest barbarian on Late Night with Conan

lol thanks...he wrote a legendary score once, yeah, but I've heard next to nobody mention him among the greats outside of this board.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 3:45 PM   
 By:   EdG   (Member)

The 'unmentionable' runs about 68 minutes. So this is in the same ballpark.

I see what you did there. wink

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   Sarge   (Member)

The 'unmentionable' runs about 68 minutes. So this is in the same ballpark.

I see what you did there. wink

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 4:39 PM   
 By:   Magnus Opum   (Member)

I've heard next to nobody mention him among the greats outside of this board.

Outside this board, I rarely see any names besides Williams, Horner, and Zimmer mentioned. I've long since stopped clicking on anything related to "classics" of film music in other social media spaces. They're a dead zone for depth on the subject, but Zimmer gets dozens of shout-outs.

That negativity aside, I'm glad this is coming out, but I've got zero faith in Varese to do a good job on the discs after their recent track record.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 7:18 PM   
 By:   Movieman5   (Member)

awesome that varese is finally releasing the expanded score, great themes

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 8:33 AM   
 By:   Dr. Nigel Channing   (Member)

Ordered!

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 8:37 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

https://varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/basil-poledouris-for-love-of-the-game-the-deluxe-edition-cd

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 9:05 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

I love that they inserted the Varèse logo on the cover like the releases of old. Why did the labels stop doing so.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 9:33 AM   
 By:   jkannry   (Member)

I am so glad to see that there’s a digital release of this. I’ll wait. I’ve gone digital with as many new releases as I can do the space and organization of collection concerns.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 9:42 AM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

Pre-ordered from the international store. Fingers crossed....

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 9:43 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Basil Poledouris – For Love of the Game (The Deluxe Edition) CD
UPC: 888072573512
Release Date: July 12, 2024
Regular price$ 20.00
Expected to ship the week of July 12, 2024.

For Love of the Game (1999) reunited Kevin Costner with one of his most popular subjects—baseball—as he starred as an aging pitcher who throws a perfect game at Yankee Stadium while reflecting upon his long-term relationship. An unexpected choice of material for director Sam Raimi, the film was lauded for its depiction of the sport and its uplifting Americana score by Basil Poledouris.

By the late 1990s, Poledouris was renowned for his mastery of a film scoring genre that was, in a way, coming to its end: the romantic, orchestral depiction of masculinity. From barbarians to cyborg cops, cowboys to submariners, Poledouris found the beating heart of heroic male characters who upheld virtues of honor, loyalty and duty, while allowing themselves to be vulnerable to their loved ones.

Costner’s Billy Chapel—pitching in his very last game—was an ideal protagonist, and Poledouris responded with a rich, warm, melodic score that goes from the grandeur and scope of America’s national pastime, to the romantic yearning and intimacy of its very human hero. The score navigates a range of orchestral size—from fully symphonic to heartfelt solos—as well as genre, with pop and R&B brought in for contemporary emphasis.

For Love of the Game was released as 10-track, 33-minute CD from Varèse Sarabande at the time of the time. The program has been expanded to 35 tracks and over 78 minutes for this Deluxe Edition, with Daniel Schweiger’s liner notes incorporating interview material from Raimi, Poledouris, and the composer’s agent, Richard Kraft.

Limited edition of 2,000.

Produced by: Basil Poledouris, Tim Boyle and Mi Kyoung Chaing
Edited by: Curtis Roush
Mixed by: Tim Boyle
Mastered by: Chas Ferry & Melinda Hurley

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 12:06 PM   
 By:   Mike Esssss   (Member)

I'm so proud of Varese for including samples right out of the gate that I hesitate to nitpick, but it's curious that they didn't include any full-throated renditions of the wonderful main theme to help sell this thing. The track 1 sample cuts out literally the moment the theme is about to kick in.

For anyone on the fence:

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 12:10 PM   
 By:   Willgoldnewtonbarrygrusin   (Member)

I'm so proud of Varese for including samples right out of the gate that I hesitate to nitpick, but it's curious that they didn't include any full-throated renditions of the wonderful main theme to help sell this thing. The track 1 sample cuts out literally the moment the theme is about to kick in.

For anyone on the fence:

It’s really one marvelous main theme.

Posted:   Jun 27, 2024 - 9:25 PM   
 By:   Travis   (Member)

Really great expansion! My favorites include: Main Theme, Clouds, Tuttle Out, Torn Dollar Bill, Birch Strikeout, Jane's Home, Relationship Montage, No Hits, Mickey Saves, The Decision, Last Pitch, and I Need You.

Posted:   Jul 3, 2024 - 1:46 PM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

Received my copy today. This is so rare - a 'new' Poledouris score, that I'm unfamiliar with. On first listen, it's just lovely, gorgeous. Poledouris was such a talent and such a loss to film music. One of the releases of the year for me, this, so far. For once, I'll say it : bravo, Varese, you done good.

Once upon a time, THIS is what film music was like.

Posted:   Jul 3, 2024 - 2:39 PM   
 By:   BrenKel   (Member)

A Basil Poledouris score I have never heard - until the cd arrived today. Absolutely stunning music. Wonderful release by Varese.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2024 - 4:53 PM   
 By:   TJ   (Member)

Listening to it now. I remembered enjoying the CD from way back when, but there's a lot of good stuff on this expansion. I'm surprised how many cues did not get used on the films. I'm just streaming it, so I have no idea if that's mentioned in the notes or not.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2024 - 12:15 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

I'm like this a lot. Though a couple of lecky guitar/ 'pop' tracks get skipped ( sometimes).

Posted:   Jul 13, 2024 - 1:46 AM   
 By:   kingtolkien   (Member)

Once upon a time, THIS is what film music was like.

I totally agree.