Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 11:27 PM   
 By:   governor   (Member)

He turns 92 today, June 21st. Music legend ! Happy birthday Mr Schifrin !

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 11:56 PM   
 By:   moolik   (Member)

WE NEED MORE SCHIFRINS!

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 12:56 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

HB to Lalo! A thorough gentleman each time I met him, including an extensive interview for Soundtrack! magazine, which was my first one - start with a biggie! I even invited him and Donna to my wedding (which they couldn't make but at least my best man had a lovely message to read out at the reception).

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 1:10 AM   
 By:   Simon Morris   (Member)

Happy Birthday indeed, but more importantly I do hope he is in reasonable health as recently, we've not really heard anything about him.

And of course, there hasn't been a major Schifrin release for some considerable time - which is particularly disappointing.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 1:21 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

Happy Birthday indeed, but more importantly I do hope he is in reasonable health as recently, we're not really heard anything about him.

And of course, there hasn't been a major Schifrin release for some considerable time - which is particularly disappointing.

Yeah, been concerned for some time; I think it's just age related, he was bent over at the Oscar thing with Clint, most recent photos, he's being held up by Donna and other photos he's sitting down with others standing around him. After meeting him a couple of times in 1998 and then a gap (during which time we'd exchanged letters, cards and emails) til 2007, the intervening nine years had seen him age drastically. I've not seen him since then.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 1:21 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Happy 92nd birthday to one of the last men standing of that generation! He didn't look very spry last time I saw a photo of him (wheelchair-bound), which was sometime earlier this year or perhaps last year on Facebook. But in good spirits nonetheless. Still hoping he could churn out another work or two (perhaps an arrangement of his BULLIT theme for Spielberg's supposed remake?), but if not, he has a massive back catalogue to enjoy. I've explored some of it, but still a way to go.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 1:42 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

WE NEED MORE SCHIFRINS!

A whole lot of.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 2:30 AM   
 By:   Rollin Hand   (Member)

WE NEED MORE SCHIFRINS!

I second that wish. There are still some good Seventies scores to release…

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 3:04 AM   
 By:   Laurent78   (Member)

Indeed what a talented and brilliant composer ! Just wondering : is his own label Aleph Records still active ? It seems to me I didn't see any recent activity from them.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 4:00 AM   
 By:   Soundtrack Fanatic   (Member)

I would like to add my love and admiration of Lalo Schifrin to this post on this special day...

The very happiest of Birthdays to one of the Top 10 TRULY GREAT film composers that there has EVER been...
A living musical legend, and most definitely "The King of Cool."

May all of your wishes come true, Maestro Schifrin, as you blow out the 92 candles on your birthday cake today... Happy Birthday!!!

And what is "MY OWN WISH" on this happiest of days, you might ask? "Oh, NOTHING MUCH"... I just wish that "A FEW" lost and forgotten Schifrin scores might SOMEHOW, SOMEDAY, be released commercially on CD... "HOW FEW?", you might well ask?... "Oh, I don't know", I might reply... "JUST A FEW"... Well, lets see, there's...

MURDERERS' ROW (1966), and...
BLINDFOLD (1966), and...
T.H.E. CAT (1966), and...
WHO'S MIDING THE MINT? (1967), and...
THE RISE AND FALL OF THE THIRD REICH (1968), and...
HELL IN THE PACIFIC (1968), and...
THE BEGUILED (1971), and...
MRS. POLYFAX - SPY (1971), and...
EARTH 2 (1971) - (as a standalone release), and...
THE NEPTUNE FACTOR (1973), and...
CHARLEY VARRICK (1973), and...
HIT! (1973), and...
PETROCELLI (1974), and...
THE MASTER GUNFIGHTER (1975), and...
STARSKY AND HUTCH (1975), and...
SPECIAL DELIVERY (1976), and...
ST. IVES (1976), and...
DAY OF THE ANIMALS (1977), and...
THE MANITOU (1978), and...
THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE (1978), and...
LOVE AND BULLETS (1979), and...
ESCAPE TO ATHENA (1979), and...
WHEN TIME RAN OUT (1980), and...
THE NUDE BOMB (1980), and...
THE COMPETITION (1980), and...
BUDDY BUDDY (1981), and...
AMITYVILLE 2: THE POSSESSION (1982), and...
STARFLIGHT: THE PLANE THAT COULDN'T LAND (1983), and...
BLACK MOON RISING (1986), and...
KUNG FU: THE MOVIE (1986), and...
TRIPLECROSS (1986), and...
AFTER THE SUNSET (2004), and... AND?... A N D ?!?!?

And who knows HOW MANY other COUNTLESS Schifrin scores, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
I mean, there are probably JUST AS MANY unreleased Schifrin scores as there are CANDLES on Schifrin's cake today!

When was the last new release?... Seems like AGES ago... And when they DO happen, they're so FEW and far between...
And that, my friends... simply put... is nothing short of a CRIME to humanity.

Anyway, enough of this... That's not what we're here for... This is supposed to be a party, right?
So... "Many Happy Returns of the Day to you, sir"... Today, there's DEFINITELY going to be a Whole Lalo Schifrin Goin' On!!!

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 4:21 AM   
 By:   moolik   (Member)

Your list is great..yet you forgot to include MRS.POLYFAX SPY...a fantastic groovy score as well

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 4:38 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

When someone asks the inevitable question about Donald Sutherland scores, I’ll be hard pressed not to involve Lalo in the answer.

Top guy, and many happy returns to him.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 4:42 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

92 and still going.
Good on him.
That's 3 (I can think of) in the 90+ Club...John W...Stu P and Lalo...
Many Happy Returns.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 4:56 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

92 and still going.
Good on him.
That's 3 (I can think of) in the 90+ Club...John W...Stu P and Lalo...
Many Happy Returns.

Don't forget Quincy J. & John S.

(also plenty others, of course, per the thread we have on the subject).

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 5:07 AM   
 By:   Rollin Hand   (Member)

ESSENTIAL SCHIFRIN SCORES TO BE RELEASED
• Hell in the Pacific
• Eye of the Cat
• The Beguiled
• Prime Cut
• The Neptune Factor
• Charley Varrick
• St. Ives

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 6:21 AM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

I'm thrilled to join the many here who have offered their birthday greetings. Rather than focus on what we don't have, I'll add that I have shelves of his music, from film and TV scores to jazz piano to big band to concert works.

A few of my favorites:

Gillespiana (for Dizzy Gillespie)

The New Continent (also for Dizzy Gillespie)

Jazz Suite on the Mass Texts (for Paul Horn)

Rock Requiem

Che!

The Fox

Cool Hand Luke

The Cincinatti Kid

The Four Musketeers

Mission: Impossible

Mannix

Bullitt

Dirty Harry

The Venetian Affair

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 6:32 AM   
 By:   Hurdy Gurdy   (Member)

One of my favourites is his score to BRUBAKER and I love that Finale cue, as Redford is driven away and the prisoners all start clapping.
Just wonderful music...quintessential Lalo.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 7:08 AM   
 By:   NO NAME   (Member)

WE NEED MORE SCHIFRINS! I thought you wanted to say : We need more composers like Schifrin .

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 10:05 AM   
 By:   lacoq   (Member)

Your list is great..yet you forgot to include MRS.POLYFAX SPY...a fantastic groovy score as well

Thanks Moolik for the heads up on the Mrs. Polyfax Spy score. I"m a BIG Lalo fan but never heard this one before…just checked out the main title on YouTube and it's a great feel good theme!

And Happy Birthday to Mr. Schifrin. Thank you for ALL your brilliant work!!

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 10:52 AM   
 By:   Valiant65   (Member)

I hope someone in his camp is passing these Birthday Wishes on to him.

For me, Lalo Schifrin is one of the few film composers who provided the music for my life. From the Mission Impossible theme, to Bullitt, to Dirty Harry & Magnum Force and Cool Hand Luke and on and on. He has provided an amazing and staggering body of cool music for not only film, but also the jazz world.

So thankyou and A Big Birthday Wish is being sent out to you from a longtime Schifrin fan.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

And let's not forget the great Dave Grusin is turning 90 on June 26th.