Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 10:57 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I've taken the liberty to upload a picture that Gorka Oteiza posted on Facebook in March this year, and cropped Mr. Oteiza out of the picture. Sorry, Gorka, if you're reading! So this is about as recent a photo as you'll get of Mr. Schifrin, in case anyone is curious.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 12:13 PM   
 By:   roy phillippe   (Member)

I'm thrilled to join the many here who have offered their birthday greetings. Rather than focus on what we don't have, I'll add that I have shelves of his music, from film and TV scores to jazz piano to big band to concert works.

A few of my favorites:

Gillespiana (for Dizzy Gillespie)

The New Continent (also for Dizzy Gillespie)

Jazz Suite on the Mass Texts (for Paul Horn)

Rock Requiem

Che!

The Fox

Cool Hand Luke

For all your composers/arrangers check out his book on composing published by Hal Leonard.

The Cincinatti Kid

The Four Musketeers

Mission: Impossible

Mannix

Bullitt

Dirty Harry

The Venetian Affair

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 12:33 PM   
 By:   Sartoris   (Member)

Happy Birthday dear Maestro Lalo Schifrin !
My ultimate living legend hero...

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 12:53 PM   

Ah, Sartoris, so you're Louis Theroux?

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 1:22 PM   
 By:   Sartoris   (Member)

Ah, Sartoris, so you're Louis Theroux?
Who? Never heard of him I am sorry. He is a member of our community here?

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 1:38 PM   

He's one of the world's most famous documentary filmmakers. I thought you looked like him.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 7:17 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Nice to share a birthday with one of the great film Maestros. cool

Posted:   Jun 22, 2024 - 2:46 AM   
 By:   Prince Damian   (Member)

He's one of the world's most famous documentary filmmakers. I thought you looked like him.

Not as famous as you thought.smile

Posted:   Jun 22, 2024 - 6:34 AM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

Sartoris, thanks for posting your pictures. When I was a young teenager I learned a lot about jazz from my older brother; as an avid jazzbo he subscribed to Downbeat, and I vividly remember reading that Schifrin article from the issue displayed on your post.

My first interest in music was soundtracks. In the mid to late 1960s I had many LPs of Barry, Goldsmith, Quincy Jones, and Schifrin. When my brother saw my Schifrin soundtracks, he said "you may want to give this a listen"--and lent me the glorious Dizzy Gillespie album Gillespiana, a five-movement album-length composition for jazz quintet and large band with very unusual instrumentation. composed and arranged by Lalo, who was only twenty-eight!

Shortly thereafter, he bought me an album by alto sax great Cannonball Adderley that featured experimental works, one of which was Schifrin's "Dialogues for Jazz Quintet and Orchestra."

Posted:   Jun 22, 2024 - 7:16 AM   
 By:   David Anthony   (Member)

Happy birthday Lalo!

Writing about vinyl in the other thread reminds me about the excellent LP to MURDERER'S ROW, still no sign of that on LP which is a shame.

Posted:   Jun 23, 2024 - 2:10 PM   
 By:   jeffhall7   (Member)

Happy Birthday Lalo. One of the last Hollywood greats still with us.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2024 - 4:25 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

I've taken the liberty to upload a picture that Gorka Oteiza posted on Facebook in March this year, and cropped Mr. Oteiza out of the picture. Sorry, Gorka, if you're reading! So this is about as recent a photo as you'll get of Mr. Schifrin, in case anyone is curious.

Oh boy, poor fellow, Lalo told me when I interviewed him back in 1998, he was a black belt in karate (I wonder if scoring Bruce Lee films got him interested in it?) - unless he told me that so I didn't ask awkward questions (as it was, he declined in no uncertain terms, to talk about Day of the Animals!)? big grin

He definitely has age/health related issues, bless him. Cherish his presence.