Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 3, 2024 - 10:06 AM   
 By:   Symphorch   (Member)

I was born in 1991, very much a child of CD's and cassettes. Since elementary/middle school, I always had a fondness for music, especially a growing interest in classical. My fate as a musician was sealed when I was introduced to Pictures at an Exhibition in 8th grade.

Vinyl entered my life sometime during my high school years. I had always known record players existed, though I never really saw records for sale out in "the wild," and nobody in my family or family friends owned a turntable. Then, my mother's friend's parents invited my mother and I to hang at their house to help with some things. The father, Patrick, learned I was a musician and very into classical, and he brought me into his office where he had the HUGEST collection of classical records I had ever seen. We listened to a few recordings, especially of Pictures, and the seed was firmly planted.

I loved the sound quality of vinyl-it just sounded warmer to me. I begged my parents for years to get a turntable and finally, Christmas of my senior year in high school, I was gifted a turntable with all my grandmother's old records. I still have some of them today, though I upgraded my turntable a few years ago. Furthermore, Patrick died in 2018, and I got his entire record collection out of his storage, and picked through the ones I wanted before selling/donating the others. Now I'm hooked on vinyl, and I'm working to get better at keeping the records clean, removing static, etc. I've found my vice.

Posted:   Jul 3, 2024 - 10:37 AM   
 By:   Big Jim T Wilson   (Member)

I'm a fully paid up badge wearing member of the Vinyl club. But it always makes me a little bit sad when that gets laughed or tutted at.

I know this isn't really what this thread was started about... but I'm also well and truly in the CD club. I'm not someone who believes it has to be one or the other. The two formats exist very happily alongside each other in my life.

Vinyl and cassettes is where it all started for me. I was obsessed with my dad's LP collection, and then the whole home taping fascination with mix tapes. (Of course also recording favourite themes and cues off the TV)

There's really something magic about vinyl for me. I've had the process explained a million times, and I've watched so many youtube videos on the whole thing... but how the hell does music live in a groove and it gets picked up by a tiny needle?! big grin

I love the process.... the ritual.... taking care to handle it properly.... placing the needle down and just sitting back and listening. Or standing there and staring at the thing going round and round. It's hypnotic at times and helps me get lost to the music. If I've got the house to myself for the day the whole record cleaning kit comes out. I love it. Listen to a few, clean a few, wait for them to dry, then the whole thing starts again.

I tend not to buy much new vinyl though. I've gone for a few things in recent years, and a lot of the time I end up returning or getting a refund because it's a terrible pressing. Often off centre and plagued with distorted passages. There's also not much point in buying new stuff in my mind.... The CD purchases remain strong!

But I've got a fairly hefty collection of older LPs. And yeah, there's a little crackle. A bit of noise here and there. But I have some old Mancini albums for example that sound absolutely superb. And holding that album in my hands is like holding a little snapshot from history. It's a tiny slice of time-machine. I bought a few LPs off a guy during lockdown, and I loved the idea of keeping a part of his collection together. Everything was in incredible condition, and I enjoy the responsibility of keeping them that way.

I have an original pressing of "World On A String" from that John Towner Williams fella. Sounds incredible. And written on the back is the US address of the couple of used to own it, and I'm assuming, bought it new. I have no idea if they're alive or dead. But I bet they never thought a record they bought in 1956 would still be getting played and loved in 2024 by some guy in Manchester England.

In January, I was involved in putting on a show which was a tribute to the Merseybeat scene. We played loads of brilliant songs from the era, and we had some performers with us who were around at the time. Some of the songs hadn't been played live in almost 60 years. As something to remember the show and the guys by, I hunted down the 45s of their songs that we played. When one of them saw his old single on the Decca label, he just started crying. He held it and said he couldn't believe how long ago it all was. Seeing it and having it in his hands brought back so many memories.

That's really what it's all about for me. There's a romanticism that some might say is a bit over the top, and a huge dollop of sentimentality attached with all the nostalgia. But that's who I am smile

I'm not one of the guys who says it sounds better than CD. It just doesn't. CDs are amazing and I will die on that hill. But records do sound different. And there's no rule that says that has to be better or worse, I just like having that option.

Posted:   Jul 3, 2024 - 12:18 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Yes, there is comfort in that, even if pulling out a record is an infrequent occurrence.

I had always known record players existed, though I never really saw records for sale out in "the wild," and nobody in my family or family friends owned a turntable.

There it is again, the "museum" ambience! smile