Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 11, 2005 - 6:51 PM   
 By:   LRobHubbard   (Member)

Just confirmed on Tim Lucas'new blog, Video Watchblog

http://www.videowatchdog.com/watchblog/watchblog.html

Posted:   Oct 11, 2005 - 7:19 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Thomas Scofield, the former FSM Messageboard member (always insightful, particularly related to Les Baxter's music)?!?!?

No, this is really tragic! Can't believe it. We've already had TWO deaths among the FSM membership over the years, and this is the third.

Thomas Scofield, thanks for all your exchanges over the years and for being part of this community. I never knew you personally, but you seemed like just the guy I could sit down with - over a coffee or a beer - and just chat about film scores and everything else.

Rest in Peace.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2005 - 7:25 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

This is very sad to read. Thomas was with us for a long time, and he was our resident Les Baxter expert. He used to e mail me at various times encouraging me to rent videos scored by Baxter. Then he disappeared. He came back later saying he had suffered from a painful back and severe depression. Then he left and came back for only a short time. I'm not sure any of us really realize how much severe clinical depression can cripple us. I'm deeply saddened by this, and I hope there is Baxter music welcoming Thomas to his new resting place. R.I.P. Many of us will remember you, Thomas.

(Thanks LRob for letting us know.)

Posted:   Oct 15, 2005 - 1:20 PM   
 By:   Charles Thaxton   (Member)

Sad news. Which brings up a point....when a collector with many rare items passes on, what becomes of the collection? Because I would imagine that most people couldn't give a rat's ass about Les Baxter rarities etc. and relatives may(God forbid) take the whole thing to Goodwill or have a garage sale.Thomas wrote me once telling me that he had many tapes he got from the original composers personally.They should be given to someplace like Screen Archives or a university.

Posted:   Oct 15, 2005 - 3:56 PM   
 By:   crimedog   (Member)

Direct link: http://www.videowatchdog.com/watchblog/2005/10/black-tuesday.html

Posted:   Oct 16, 2005 - 1:11 AM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

frown

Can't add much more than that, he was missed from here for quite some time.

Posted:   Jan 16, 2006 - 3:22 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

Does anyone know what became of all his composer-related letters, interviews, and research following his death?

Posted:   Jan 16, 2006 - 4:34 PM   
 By:   Donna   (Member)

My hope is that he is resting peacefully with the angels.

Posted:   Jan 16, 2006 - 6:54 PM   
 By:   zippy   (Member)

This is very sad news indeed. I remember the incident and the subsequent apology just soon after I joined the board. Having been through periods of depression myself, I could relate to his heightened emotional state.

Oddly enough, a thread on Les Baxter is on the board currently. I too first heard Les Baxter's music from those metal speakers hung on the car window next to my dad.

May he rest in peace.