Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 7, 2024 - 12:53 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

I remember when Switched-On Bach would reliably show up quite often when I still went crate digging in thrift stores.
I'll just add to the chorus saying it's a shame she hasn't released hi-rez versions of her work. Just about all of it is out there illegally in mp3 form, which will sadly have to do for now if someone is discovering the recordings for the first time. Not great. There are a few lossless needledrops on archive.org too, which is at least something.
I just listened to the complete Shining score and I think it's my favorite of what I've heard. "Paraphrase for Cello" is just straightforwardly beautiful, not terribly complex but very effective, and there are loads of great sounds in those recordings. It holds up very well.
There's a lot of clever, technically innovative stuff in the Bach-oriented recordings, which apparently took an incredibly tedious amount of work to render. Huge respect for the craft and dedication behind that, but I confess that a little of that goes a long way. I prefer listening to short bursts of those pieces to listening to full albums.
While Sonic Seasonings was (I think) her own personal favorite, it intimidates me a bit, but I'm going to give it a shot...eventually.

"Sonic Seasonings" is one of my favorites, along with "Digital Moonscapes"--out of her original composing work, that is.
Quite a few years ago, my favorite used-record shop had suddenly gotten in a bunch of her CD's.
Apparently, one of our local radio stations had unloaded a ton of their inventory and Carlos's CD's were among them.
When I came upon them in the rack I felt like I found buried treasure and snapped up all the discs I didn't already have.
Since then, the only one missing in action is the "Peter And The Wolf" that she did with Weird Al.
She seems to be fiercely protective of her work, perhaps with good reason.
So I think what she needs is someone who she trusts to come in and be a proper custodian of her catalogue, at least to make sure that it remains available in one form or another.

Posted:   Feb 7, 2024 - 4:02 PM   
 By:   Roger Feigelson   (Member)

I remember when Switched-On Bach would reliably show up quite often when I still went crate digging in thrift stores.
I'll just add to the chorus saying it's a shame she hasn't released hi-rez versions of her work. Just about all of it is out there illegally in mp3 form, which will sadly have to do for now if someone is discovering the recordings for the first time. Not great. There are a few lossless needledrops on archive.org too, which is at least something.
I just listened to the complete Shining score and I think it's my favorite of what I've heard. "Paraphrase for Cello" is just straightforwardly beautiful, not terribly complex but very effective, and there are loads of great sounds in those recordings. It holds up very well.
There's a lot of clever, technically innovative stuff in the Bach-oriented recordings, which apparently took an incredibly tedious amount of work to render. Huge respect for the craft and dedication behind that, but I confess that a little of that goes a long way. I prefer listening to short bursts of those pieces to listening to full albums.
While Sonic Seasonings was (I think) her own personal favorite, it intimidates me a bit, but I'm going to give it a shot...eventually.

"Sonic Seasonings" is one of my favorites, along with "Digital Moonscapes"--out of her original composing work, that is.
Quite a few years ago, my favorite used-record shop had suddenly gotten in a bunch of her CD's.
Apparently, one of our local radio stations had unloaded a ton of their inventory and Carlos's CD's were among them.
When I came upon them in the rack I felt like I found buried treasure and snapped up all the discs I didn't already have.
Since then, the only one missing in action is the "Peter And The Wolf" that she did with Weird Al.
She seems to be fiercely protective of her work, perhaps with good reason.
So I think what she needs is someone who she trusts to come in and be a proper custodian of her catalogue, at least to make sure that it remains available in one form or another.

I tried to reach out to her about a new edition of Tron but the email on her website bounced.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2024 - 1:36 AM   
 By:   Disco Stu   (Member)

Her most recent work that I know of, is the music for the out of this universe hyperfantastic "Tron 2.0" computer game, released by Buena Vista Interactive onp 26 August 2003.
My favourite track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZ3QSgitXw&list=PLb4Y0l1tfOKmVpsZ1Ft4LBfh454ATjvdo&index=3

D.S.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2024 - 7:43 AM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

No love for Clockwork Orange? The opening of that film is so disturbing BECAUSE of the music, always gives me chills. The original synth musicians (I'd put early Vangelis and Jean Michel Jarre, Tomita, Kraftwerk etc among her) don't get the credit they are due if only because of the analogue, hands-on equipment they had to work with. The limitations were immense but they managed to create incredible music. Samplers, computers, midi etc made it so easy compared to what they had. Bravo to them.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2024 - 8:28 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

It was in the late 90s I think when A CLOCKWORK ORANGE - Complete Original Soundtrack was released on CD; that's one cool album. It contains of course the justly famous Main Title Music (electronically arranged Purcell), and complete compositions such as "Timesteps", and stuff Wendy Carlos' wrote for the movie but that was never used. I enjoy this album a lot, it's unique and has a unique place in the history of electronic music as well.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2024 - 8:29 AM   

I tried to reach out to her about a new edition of Tron but the email on her website bounced.

That's very intriguing, Roger.
Is there anything more you can tell us about the new edition you had in mind?
(I realize that perhaps you may already have said more about it in a different thread, but I do not recall ever coming across it.)

Posted:   Feb 8, 2024 - 8:30 AM   

It was in the late 90s I think when A CLOCKWORK ORANGE - Complete Original Soundtrack was released on CD; that's one cool album. It contains of course the justly famous Main Title Music (electronically arranged Purcell), and complete compositions such as "Timesteps", and stuff Wendy Carlos' wrote for the movie but that was never used. I enjoy this album a lot, it's unique and has a unique place in the history of electronic music as well.

Complete agreement about that album.
And "Timesteps" is an astonishing piece.

Posted:   Feb 8, 2024 - 9:43 AM   
 By:   Goatmeal   (Member)

Her most recent work that I know of, is the music for the out of this universe hyperfantastic "Tron 2.0" computer game, released by Buena Vista Interactive onp 26 August 2003.

While I love the TRON 2.0 score, it was actually composed by Nathan Grigg. He was able to license/use a few of Wendy's themes, such as the "TRON Scherzo" and the "TRON Theme/Love Theme."

========================================

I agree with Octoberman, Digital Moonscapes is fantastic, and my favorite track is "I. C. (Intergalactic Communications)." Also liked her repurposing the unused "Lightcycles" track from TRON for the track "Io."

Sonic Seasonings is one of the earliest "new age / ambient" albums, and as such, can be a little intimidating (or people just don't 'get it'). It's nice to have on in the background, like sonic 'wallpaper.'

========================================

...And my mind was blown in the late '80s when I visited the local Musicland CD store to discover that two of my favorite artists, "Weird" Al Yankovic and Wendy Carlos, had collaborated on a project !

Posted:   Feb 8, 2024 - 10:13 AM   
 By:   villagardens553   (Member)

Other electronic pioneers were mentioned, but let's not forget Morton Subotnick and his Buchla synthesizers. His album Silver Apples of the Moon was a masterpiece and the first commissioned album-length electronic composition.

Also, I was managing a record store in the early 80s when we were still getting records from CBS with Walter Carlos--along with the actual Wendy Carlos albums. How to file? Solved the problem in the bins with an artist card that read: 'W. Carlos"

Posted:   Feb 9, 2024 - 10:04 PM   

I agree with Octoberman, Digital Moonscapes is fantastic, and my favorite track is "I. C. (Intergalactic Communications)." Also liked her repurposing the unused "Lightcycles" track from TRON for the track "Io."
Sonic Seasonings is one of the earliest "new age / ambient" albums, and as such, can be a little intimidating (or people just don't 'get it'). It's nice to have on in the background, like sonic 'wallpaper.'

I don't often have the time, but once in a while I will put "Digital Moonscapes" on the stereo along with the Dutoit version of "The Planets" and set it on shuffle.
One would not expect the two albums to go together, but they somehow work like gangbusters--for me , anyway.
I get just totally lost in it.