Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 25, 2007 - 11:31 AM   
 By:   TownerFan   (Member)

Amazon.com is listing this:

http://tinyurl.com/3ax5pb

An 8-disc boxset... what should it be? 8 platters are not enough for a complete presentation of all six scores. Is it just repackaging of older releases? Or could it be something new?

Posted:   Aug 25, 2007 - 12:48 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

I don't know if this is related, but it looks like Barnes and Noble is going to be selling that bonus disc re-packaging/compilation that came with the ROTS CD (when you bought it at Target):

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?r=1&ean=886971404722

Oh, it's at Amazon too:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Corellian-John-Williams/dp/B000UH8BSQ/ref=sr_1_136/103-0060015-3331063?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1188068364&sr=1-136

Posted:   Aug 25, 2007 - 2:08 PM   
 By:   johnbijl   (Member)

Sigerson,

The Corillian Edition was a special relase with Ep. III for Target buyers. Could be that it gets a regular release. Or perhaps they re-use the name for something else.

Anyway. Soundtrackcollector.com lists it here: http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/catalog/soundtrackdetail.php?movieid=68984

Cheers,
John

Posted:   Aug 25, 2007 - 3:16 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

Eight is weird. It's too few to be the six discs of the original plus the three or four (depending on which version of Ep 1) for the prequal trilogy.
It's of course too much for just the original trilogy.
And so one's hope for expanded 2 and 3 isn't there with that, as eight would be too much for JUST the prequals.

Hmmmm...

-Joshua

Posted:   Aug 25, 2007 - 3:29 PM   

The Corillian Edition was a special relase with Ep. III for Target buyers.

No, Corellian!

I bought "Sith" twice. The first time to be the first on my block to own it, the second time to be a Star Wars soundtrack completist. Thanks, Target.

Say, I wonder what COLOR BOX this new 8-disc set will come in . . .

Posted:   Aug 25, 2007 - 3:56 PM   
 By:   Membership Expired   (Member)

I'm wondering if this on't be the Star Wars SE's and the TPM Ultimate Edition repacklaged as one great big set.

That would be 8 CD's, and not require much effort on the part of those who own the music.

Posted:   Aug 26, 2007 - 12:32 PM   
 By:   Greg Bryant   (Member)

Ain't buyin' it. Ol' George has got enough of my money.

Posted:   Aug 26, 2007 - 12:42 PM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

Ol' George probably doesn't even know this release exists, and surely won't notice the revenues one way or the other.

What could it be? Hrrm. Amazon lists it as coming from "Cbs/Epic/Wtg Records." Are there any rerecordings, perhaps, that would be associated with them? I can't really see any one series of rerecordings filling eight discs even if it addressed all six episodes, but..

Posted:   Aug 26, 2007 - 2:42 PM   

Ain't buyin' it. Ol' George has got enough of my money.

I'll get it, but only if there are holograms. I must have more holograms.

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 10:30 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

From Musictap.com:

Sony Classical will celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Star Wars by releasing several versions of a Star Wars Anniversary collection that includes a single-disc John Williams ‘best of’ grouping of 13 tracks from all 6 Star Wars films and will be called Star Wars: The Corellian Edition. The other version is a Box set containing 8CDs of Star Wars scores including 2CD Expanded Editions of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Return of the Jedi. Each episode CD will be contained in a gate-fold mini-jackets that are exact replicas of the original LP sleeves. The 30th Anniversary Collector’s Edition 8CD Box will also contain a fold-out poster created specifically for this set, historical notes of the creation of the soundtracks, and 4”x4” four-colour stickers. Whatever your desire is, the Star Wars collection is coming to a galaxy near you (sorry I said that.) The Box arrives on October 8 whilst the single disc Corellian Edition arrives on October 2.

Ok..so...if this is accurate then NO expanded prequel scores. But still 8 discs won't account for all films...unless the 2 discs are unreleased tracks from the 3 prequels.

But...color stickers, YAY!

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 11:39 AM   
 By:   Trent B   (Member)

So seems Steef is probably right... the OT repackaged with the UE of The Phantom Menace. What the hell is wrong with Lucasfilm, why won't they let Sony release the real complete intended editions for all 3 Prequel scores all ready??

I'm tired of them releasing the same damn thing OVER AND OVER again...ugh....

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 11:49 AM   
 By:   GoodMusician86   (Member)

well, one can only hope they aren't repackaging the same old releases... maybe this time they'll actually get the sets right... although I highly doubt it.

I don't think any of them realize something is wrong (and yet they complain no one buys them lol)

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 11:55 AM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

So seems Steef is probably right... the OT repackaged with the UE of The Phantom Menace. What the hell is wrong with Lucasfilm, why won't they let Sony release the real complete intended editions for all 3 Prequel scores all ready??

SONY paid MILLIONS for the rights to these titles and repackaging the current versions in to a box set with a BEST OF CD of already released tracks makes BUSINESS SENSE to them..

Depending on the price, this will make a nice XMAS present to any STAR WARS geek you want to give it to..

In addition, they can also put out expanded edition in TWO OR THREE Years time and get us to buy them yet AGAIN...

On a business level this approach gives them yet another bite at the apple, it makes BUSINESS SENSE.

"I'm tired of them releasing the same damn thing OVER AND OVER again".....

It will only stop when folks STOP BUYING THEM and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Lucas has turned this approach into an art..

Such is life in the Movie and Music Business.

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 12:03 PM   

Meh.

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 1:43 PM   

well, one can only hope they aren't repackaging the same old releases... maybe this time they'll actually get the sets right... although I highly doubt it.

I don't think any of them realize something is wrong (and yet they complain no one buys them lol)

It does look like it's just a cosmetic release with new packaging of existing discs.

Kinda puts the nail in the coffin for expanded prequel scores tho.

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 1:45 PM   

In addition, they can also put out expanded edition in TWO OR THREE Years time and get us to buy them yet AGAIN...

On a business level this approach gives them yet another bite at the apple, it makes BUSINESS SENSE.

Ford A. Thaxton

Ford DOES have a point yeah. Myself I want to find the editions from RCA that were slimlined with the Struzan artwork.

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 2:15 PM   
 By:   Trent B   (Member)

SONY paid MILLIONS for the rights to these titles and repackaging the current versions in to a box set with a BEST OF CD of already released tracks makes BUSINESS SENSE to them..

Depending on the price, this will make a nice XMAS present to any STAR WARS geek you want to give it to..

"I'm tired of them releasing the same damn thing OVER AND OVER again".....

It will only stop when folks STOP BUYING THEM and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Ford A. Thaxton

Unfortunately you are right...

Wait did I just agree with Ford? lol..

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 2:18 PM   
 By:   Greg Bryant   (Member)

Ford, do you own Sony stock?

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 2:22 PM   
 By:   TownerFan   (Member)

It does look like it's just a cosmetic release with new packaging of existing discs.

Kinda puts the nail in the coffin for expanded prequel scores tho.

Well, I'm sure it's just a matter of time. We'll surely have a complete presentation of all three prequel scores sooner or later. Let's hope they will come sooner than later, of course.

Let's hope they have fixed the mixing and mastering on EMPIRE and JEDI.

Posted:   Aug 27, 2007 - 2:27 PM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

Ford, do you own Sony stock?

Nope, I just have a good understanding on how this business works.

Ford A. Thaxton