Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 4, 2021 - 5:20 PM   
 By:   Ostinato   (Member)

Of course it's a matter of personal taste, but I love the jazzy feel of many of Satoh's scores. They are on easily on par with the work that Barry, Schifrin or Morricone produced during the same era, but are arguably even more eclectic.

For me, it depends on the type of jazz or big band style Sato used. "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla" is a good example of such a score I like quite a lot. I agree with the comparison to Sato and the composers you mentioned. I typically prefer Sato's output over the latter three.

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 1:45 AM   
 By:   Lewis&Clark   (Member)

I love, love, love Satoh's Godzilla scores. They carry elements of fun, danger, excitement. Great stuff!

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 5:03 AM   
 By:   increbula   (Member)

I love, love, love Satoh's Godzilla scores. They carry elements of fun, danger, excitement. Great stuff!

Yes, I agree - stylistically, those scores are all over the place, but in a good way. The "Main Title" from GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN is a frenetic, no-nonsense danger theme, while "The Yacht, the Storm and the Monster" from GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER is straight out of James Bond with it's spidery, twanging guitar and brass. "Escape", from the same film, starts out as mock suspense but shifts to zany chase music, and the cue "Godzilla vs. Ebirah II" audaciously echoes Neal Hefti's "Batman" theme from the same period. "Gimantis" from SON OF GODZILLA reminds me of intro music from "The People's Court", while SON's "Godzilla vs. Kumonga" transitions from guttural, tribal-flavored battle music to exotic, high seas adventure in just over two minutes. GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA begins with a truly swingin' main theme and the film's "Godzilla and the Torpedo Attack" sounds like Duke Ellington training for a death match. Go-go Satoh!

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 1:23 PM   
 By:   MMM   (Member)

One recent release I was thrilled with is Three Shells' "Men and War" set. Those three scores are among Sato's best.

I agree wholeheartedly. A terrific release. Also a big fan of the 2-CD "Toward the Terra" and many, many others. There aren't too many of his scores that I don't like.

Posted:   May 5, 2021 - 11:19 PM   
 By:   Ag^Janus   (Member)

Yojimbo has the finest swagger with a superb percussionist.

Posted:   May 6, 2021 - 9:50 AM   

Yes, I agree - stylistically, those scores are all over the place, but in a good way. The "Main Title" from GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN is a frenetic, no-nonsense danger theme, while "The Yacht, the Storm and the Monster" from GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER is straight out of James Bond with it's spidery, twanging guitar and brass. "Escape", from the same film, starts out as mock suspense but shifts to zany chase music, and the cue "Godzilla vs. Ebirah II" audaciously echoes Neal Hefti's "Batman" theme from the same period. "Gimantis" from SON OF GODZILLA reminds me of intro music from "The People's Court", while SON's "Godzilla vs. Kumonga" transitions from guttural, tribal-flavored battle music to exotic, high seas adventure in just over two minutes. GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA begins with a truly swingin' main theme and the film's "Godzilla and the Torpedo Attack" sounds like Duke Ellington training for a death match. Go-go Satoh!

"Ebirah" is definitely my least favorite Sato Godzilla score. However, there are a number of cues I absolutely enjoy. I don't care for the more comical cues, but I also enjoy some of them. "Son of Godzilla" is great. Not much in the way of nitpicks there. Same for "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla". I remember laughing when I first saw the film though. The music during the title card was quite dramatic, then transitioned to the rather peaceful and care-free music during the title credits. That made my crying with laughter.

As mentioned elsewhere, "Godzilla Raids Again" is my favorite Sato Godzilla score. From it being dark, brooding and atmospheric, to the experimental recording and playback techniques, the score is unique among Sato's other three Godzilla efforts.

Posted:   May 6, 2021 - 9:54 AM   

I agree wholeheartedly. A terrific release. Also a big fan of the 2-CD "Toward the Terra" and many, many others. There aren't too many of his scores that I don't like.

One of his scores that was a wonderful surprise for me is "The Yellow Handkerchief" (1977). There is a motif he utilized for two or three cues that annoy the hell out of me, but the remainder of the score is a treat.

Posted:   May 6, 2021 - 12:53 PM   
 By:   MMM   (Member)

I will have to listen to THE YELLOW HANDKERCHIEF again. I can't recall any awful tracks, but I only listened to it once (only recently got it) and might have left the room when the awful tracks came on!

Posted:   May 6, 2021 - 2:00 PM   

I will have to listen to THE YELLOW HANDKERCHIEF again. I can't recall any awful tracks, but I only listened to it once (only recently got it) and might have left the room when the awful tracks came on!

They're not awful objectively speaking. They just irritate me for some reason. Oh, another great one is "August Without Emperor".