Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 10, 2022 - 1:44 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

So, the YouTube version is missing 5 1/2 minutes of pre-credits material (4 minutes scored) on the Blu-ray and still runs 3 minutes longer than the Blu-ray. Plus there are some sex scenes that aren't in the YouTube version. Adding the 4 minutes of the score from the pre-credits sequence to the 38 minutes on the YouTube brings the score up to about 42 minutes. Add in music from the sex scenes and the score could push 45 minutes, plus source music.

Posted:   Oct 10, 2022 - 11:32 PM   
 By:   chriss   (Member)

It's especially teasing to know that the score has been digitised by Mike Matessino and sits in a room, unavailable to the mass of JW fans.

Sugarland Express was also digitised by Matessino. Let's hope he can finally convince Williams!

Posted:   Oct 11, 2022 - 12:48 PM   
 By:   townerbarry   (Member)

It's especially teasing to know that the score has been digitised by Mike Matessino and sits in a room, unavailable to the mass of JW fans.

Sugarland Express was also digitised by Matessino. Let's hope he can finally convince Williams!

The 50th Anniversary is Coming Soon…It is to important not to be released now.

Story of a Woman
The Reiver’s
The Sugarland Express

And Mike Matessino said there will be two more? John Williams Remastered Soundtracks release by The end of this year!

Posted:   Oct 11, 2022 - 1:21 PM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

[
The Reiver’s

The one thing about THE REIVERS is that not only would I like a complete version, but if the tapes still exist I'd love to hear Lalo Schifrin's un-used score as well.

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Oct 13, 2022 - 1:34 PM   
 By:   The Shadow   (Member)

deleted

Posted:   Oct 15, 2022 - 8:11 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

The John Williams song theme is great...
It sounds like an italian Giallo theme by Carlo Savina or Stelvio Cipriani...!!

I always thought it sounded kinda James Bondish, the closest we'll ever get to a JW Bond song.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 9:52 AM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

After Sugarland Express, give us this!

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 10:00 AM   

Dammit, Loren, you got my hopes up there for a moment!

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 10:27 AM   

Dammit, Loren, you got my hopes up there for a moment!

Sorry, it was not my intention.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 2:00 PM   
 By:   Soundtrack Fanatic   (Member)

This classic "lost" score to 1970's "Story of a Woman" from Maestro John Williams ABSOLUTELY needs to be released on CD... like IMMEDIATELY, TODAY, RIGHT NOW!!!

Here's the main theme arranged for solo piano, which is simply exquisite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFzjN71n1zQ

And here's the vocal version of the main theme sung by Ornella Vanoni, which is "a real banger" and to die for! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdqShVI1_jA

After the unbelievable (yet totally amazing and most welcome) recent announcement (after 50 years!) of the upcoming release of the "lost" score to 1974's "The Sugerland Express" (which I just CAN'T WAIT to hear!), can this other very early "hidden gem" from "the greatest film composer of all time" be very far behind? One can only hope and dream, right?

Oh, and by the way... While we ARE just "daydreaming" here... Bring on some OTHER "lost" JW scores, like 1958's "Daddy-O", 1960's "I Passed for White", 1961's "The Secret Ways", 1964's "The Killers", 1966's "The Plainsman"', 1966's "The Rare Breed", 1968's "Sergeant Ryker", 1969's "Daddy's Gone A-Hunting", and 1974's Conrack...

Now wouldn't THAT be something!

So please, WHOEVER is out there that can make ANY of this possible... Please do so... We are NOT getting any YOUNGER!

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 2:02 PM   

Yes, it would.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2024 - 12:41 AM   
 By:   maurizio.caschetto   (Member)

This classic "lost" score to 1970's "Story of a Woman" from Maestro John Williams ABSOLUTELY needs to be released on CD... like IMMEDIATELY, TODAY, RIGHT NOW!!!

Here's the main theme arranged for solo piano, which is simply exquisite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFzjN71n1zQ

And here's the vocal version of the main theme sung by Ornella Vanoni, which is "a real banger" and to die for! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdqShVI1_jA

After the unbelievable (yet totally amazing and most welcome) recent announcement (after 50 years!) of the upcoming release of the "lost" score to 1974's "The Sugerland Express" (which I just CAN'T WAIT to hear!), can this other very early "hidden gem" from "the greatest film composer of all time" be very far behind? One can only hope and dream, right?

And, oh yeah... While we ARE just "daydreaming" here... Bring on some OTHER "lost" JW scores, like 1961's "The Secret Ways", 1964's "The Killers", 1966's "The Plainsman"', 1966's "The Rare Breed", 1969's "Daddy's Gone A-Hunting", and 1974's Conrack...

Now wouldn't THAT be something!

I am all for enthusiasm from soundtrack fans and aficionados, so don't take this wrong... But wouldn't it be nice for once just to cheer what we (finally) have, i.e. The Sugarland Express, instead of immediately clamoring and asking for something else? I see that we became accustomed to the frequency rate at which incredible things once deemed impossible are being announced, but let's savour what we have at the moment. The people working on these releases know very well the demand for several of the catalog titles mentioned above. Things take time to be done properly, so let's enjoy the many fruits of their hard work for the time being.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2024 - 1:15 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

You mean something like: "Yay, we have a terrible score. Who cares about a good one, which seems to be finally a possibilty?"

Posted:   Jun 24, 2024 - 1:18 AM   
 By:   Soundtrack Fanatic   (Member)

maurizio.caschetto responded to my post saying: "I am all for enthusiasm from soundtrack fans and aficionados, so don't take this wrong... But wouldn't it be nice for once just to cheer what we (finally) have, i.e. The Sugarland Express, instead of immediately clamoring and asking for something else... Things take time to be done properly."

Believe me, I am NOT going to take what you said in the WRONG way WHATSOEVER... And I AM eagerly looking foward to "The Sugarland Express", and TRULY thank all those that made it possible...HOWEVER, and I mean NO offence here, let me respond...

The ONLY point that I was implying was that I've been waiting and waiting PATIENTLY for releases like these for DECADES... And I LITERALLY mean DECADES... and wishing for quicker results... And we ARE talking about 50-60 year old film scores to 50-60 year old films here, after all...NOT brand new scores to, say, the latest Marvel superhero entries, where one can AFFORD to be "patient."

After ALL these decades... STILL nothing? Things "take time" to be done "properly?"... OK, fine... But "50 YEARS?!?" And we ARE talking about classic scores from John "freaking" Williams here, after all... Only the greatest and most famous film composer that has EVER lived...Not some "generic" scores from some "second-rate nobodys"... I think ANY of his releases would sell JUST FINE.

How about these companies putting "ancient" titles like these out while "ancient" people like ME, who have had an INTEREST IN and CARED ABOUT these "ancient" titles FOREVER, are STILL AROUND to enjoy them! I mean, I'm certainly no "geriatric old fart" ("Thank God!"), but I'm certainly no "spring chicken" either!... And I don't know about YOU, but I'M NOT getting any YOUNGER!

It's "frustrating", that's all...

Anyway... "No harm, no foul", sir... I take NO OFFENCE at your reply... I'm NOT ragging on you... "We're all good here!"

If "Story of a Woman" NEVER gets released, I think we will all STILL survive!

Have a great one!

Posted:   Jun 24, 2024 - 1:35 AM   
 By:   maurizio.caschetto   (Member)

My ONLY point was that I've been waiting and waiting and waiting PATIENTLY for releases like these for DECADES... And I LITERALLY mean DECADES... And we're talking here about film scores to 40-60 year old films, after all... Not scores to the latest Marvel superhero entry!

I agree with you sir and I know it takes a lot (and I mean a lot) of patience to see some of our favourite music being finally released to be enjoyed properly. Anyway, one might also be aware of the fact that not everything is being locked in a safe by some evil entity who wants to prevent people from enjoying it. There are good people behind the scenes working hard to make all your wishes a reality. I know it can be a chore to wait indefinitely, but given what we're having now, I think we can look at the near future with bright optimism.

Now we're getting philosophical, but of course none of us knows how long we'll be on this Earth and time flies away dramatically faster after you turn 40 years old. That's one more reason for me to enjoy what we have in the present tense. Cherish the past, be hopeful for the future and enjoy each day you're living.

Have a good one you too, sir. Namaste and peace out.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2024 - 11:22 AM   

...Things take time to be done properly, so let's enjoy the many fruits of their hard work for the time being.

yes of course, but JW is 92. In order to get his blessing for some Story of a Woman release I'd hurry up.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2024 - 12:01 PM   

I think it's OK to wish for STORY OF A WOMAN (I've done so for 20 years -- my number one wish in the whole wide world), but I think it was the timing of ressurecting this thread so closely to the release of THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS that spurred Maurizio's response. I'm with him when it comes to properly appreciating and experiencing this new, monumental release of a heretofore unreleased Williams score before we ask for a new one, but I suppose both things can exist at the same time, i.e. appreciating the new release and craving another. But let's focus on the former, for the time being.

Posted:   Jun 25, 2024 - 1:45 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

one might also be aware of the fact that not everything is being locked in a safe by some evil entity who wants to prevent people from enjoying it.

Well, scores actually are being locked away in a vault somewhere rather than being released. And there is only one likely reason for it...money. The owner of the score doesn't want to spend the money to clear the rights and transfer the elements, or no label believes that it can make money by putting out the score. If there is some other reason--if the elements are lost or deteriorated--all someone in authority has to do is say so, and we can move on to other things. But failing that, there are probably very few existing scores that a sufficient amount of money couldn't break free.