Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Shaft Anthology: His Big Score and More!

Posted:   Nov 11, 2021 - 1:03 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

OK, cool, thanks. That must have been quite rare back in the day.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2021 - 1:09 PM   
 By:   andy b   (Member)

Stupid question, perhaps, but:

Was SHAFT always released as a 70-minute 2LP thingie, or is there a shorter version?

Thor
I worked on all three original Shaft films for the UK releases.
The original LP was only ever a double LP & they were very popular at the time, used them for competition prizes etc & always asked to supply more to the cinemas. It was the same for the two double bill re-releases that I was involved with.
There was a single LP by a cover group that I think were called Mack Brown & the Brothers & it was surprisingly good & was almost a “greatest hits” version of the original 2 LP set.
Hope this helps
Regards
Andy b

Posted:   Nov 11, 2021 - 1:21 PM   

Thanks, Andy!

Posted:   Nov 11, 2021 - 4:57 PM   
 By:   Dr Smith   (Member)

The SHAFT Anthology is pure gold to me if only for the presence of Johnny Pate's five episode scores for the 1973-74 Shaft TV series. It's a rare treat indeed to get so much great TV music on one disc. Someday, I may even give the other two scores a listen... wink

I couldn't agree more! The Johnny Pate TV scores are among the finest 70's cop show music ever produced, and they are quite faithful to the original Shaft concept. I wonder if there are other good Johnny Pate scores out there?

Posted:   Nov 11, 2021 - 6:04 PM   
 By:   Illustrator   (Member)

The SHAFT Anthology is pure gold to me if only for the presence of Johnny Pate's five episode scores for the 1973-74 Shaft TV series. It's a rare treat indeed to get so much great TV music on one disc. Someday, I may even give the other two scores a listen... wink

I couldn't agree more! The Johnny Pate TV scores are among the finest 70's cop show music ever produced, and they are quite faithful to the original Shaft concept. I wonder if there are other good Johnny Pate scores out there?

Along with JJ Johnson sadly underrepresented on CD but I highly recommend Brother On The Run and Outrageous (non-soundtrack)

Posted:   Nov 11, 2021 - 7:10 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

I wonder if there are other good Johnny Pate scores out there?

Pate's magnum opus is SHAFT IN AFRICA, out of print in all of its formats--ABC LP, Hip-O Select CD, and the compilation "The Best of Shaft," which has 8 of the album's 12 cues.

Posted:   Nov 11, 2021 - 10:22 PM   
 By:   Dave Norris   (Member)

I wonder if there are other good Johnny Pate scores out there?

Pate's magnum opus is SHAFT IN AFRICA, out of print in all of its formats--ABC LP, Hip-O Select CD, and the compilation "The Best of Shaft," which has 8 of the album's 12 cues.

The original Shaft In Africa album is available on Apple Music

Posted:   Nov 11, 2021 - 11:09 PM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

... I highly recommend Brother On The Run and Outrageous (non-soundtrack)

Agree. Brother on the run is real masterpiece.

Btw wikipedia says that Johnny Pate is still alive. So should he be 98?

Posted:   Nov 12, 2021 - 12:40 AM   

Btw wikipedia says that Johnny Pate is still alive. So should he be 98?

Yes, in December. He and William Kraft are the oldest living film composers I've been able to find. See this thread:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=135027&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=2&r=685#bottom