Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 4:07 AM   
 By:   Juanki   (Member)

Lately, it's INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY.

Not only it was a new Indy score from John. It became impossible to get a copy. I got lucky last summer when it was available again and I can tell you that was the most exciting score cd I bought for a long long time.

(there had been glorious releases like The Lonely Guy, The Godfather, Planet of the Apes saga, The Magnificent Seven saga but not that level of excitement).

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 4:14 AM   
 By:   seinmind   (Member)

Bill Conti's - For Your Eyes Only, CD release by Rykodisc has to be the one for me as I feel that is the only time I ever waited by the window watching for the mail person to arrive. My James Bond collection was "complete" at that point, all the Bond scores were available on CD, in print, and easy to buy.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 4:48 AM   
 By:   Solium   (Member)

Hard question, there are so many! Probably scores not available at the time of the films premiere or totally unreleased scores that never came out until years later.

Scores that had me gasping for joy once I found them in the stores-

The Secret of NIMH
Land Before Time
Star Wars box set
Armageddon
Twister
Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine/Amok Time
Star Trek:TMP (first expanded edition)
Conan the Barbarian (first expanded edition)

Plus countless specialty label releases.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 4:51 AM   
 By:   Broughtfan   (Member)

Logan's Run because it took nearly three months to receive the copy of Jerry's great music I had on order, the LP being only the second record I owned (Planet of the Apes, which I ordered the following year, took six months). Star Wars, as I had seen the film five or six times in morning/afternoon matinees just to hear the LSO brass in the score. Star Trek 2: TWOK, ET, The Natural, Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, Lifeforce and Cocoon were others I was very happy to get.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 5:51 AM   
 By:   DoghouseReilly   (Member)

A FISH CALLED WANDA by John Du Prez. I fell in love with the music the first time I saw the film, but it wasn't until a decade later that I even knew a disc existed. Before finding it in some catalog or another, all I could do was hunt through music stores whenever I got the chance. Getting my hands on that disc was wonderful.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 6:17 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Probably this.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

I remember searching high and low for Raiders back in 1981. I almost bought John Morris' Elephant Man at Sunrise but we took a trip to Mister Sound after and I found Raiders of the Lost Ark that same night. I played that album to death. I also later picked up the movie on record of Raiders at Sunrise Records months after. Heavily edited but still fun to listen to the movie on vinyl complete with amazing sound FX and dialogue.

I would say Goldsmith's Legend was a real exciting find. I had always wanted to hear that score and in 1993, summer, I found it at HMV. It was and is a score I love. Papillon was another CD I was excited to listen to away from the film (discovered it in 1990). I would say the night I found a VHS widescreen copy of Papillon was one of the most notable in my memory. After having to endure the pan and scan version, it was glorious to see the movie in its proper aspect ration. I think that was in the late '90s....

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 10:00 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

1993. I went to buy The Star Wars Anthology with Cantina Band #2 playing in my head, that and Standing By. I was most looking forward to hearing the other 85% of the Jedi score, but those were the Repeat-ones. I had Christmas money, and found it, I think even at a decent price, in a local ... Warehouse Music, maybe? Some free-standing CD store. There it was, a beautiful rectangle, heavier than I'd expected, very satisfying. Before checking out, I made my dutiful trip through the soundtrack section, and this sprung itself at me:

At that time, this was the "You'll never hear this music, ever" score!

Talk about a heavenly one-two punch.

Yup 1993 summer was a wonderful time. Jurassic Park was almost a weekly event for me at the theatre and finding Goldsmith's masterpiece on CD was the find of the century (for me). The opening track initially didn't do much for me but once Track 2 started, I was blown away. Funny enough, I bought Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe at the same time of Legend. Coincidence? smile

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 10:03 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

I remember searching high and low for Raiders back in 1981. I almost bought John Morris' Elephant Man at Sunrise but we took a trip to Mister Sound after and I found Raiders of the Lost Ark that same night. I played that album to death

Ditto. Purchased in January of 82, I had to acquire a second copy about a year later.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 10:33 AM   
 By:   W. David Lichty [Lorien]   (Member)

I also later picked up the movie on record of Raiders at Sunrise Records months after. Heavily edited but still fun to listen to the movie on vinyl complete with amazing sound FX and dialogue.

That record was mixed by the guy who made a sonic masterpiece out of The Star Wars Radio Drama (which apparently saved NPR from vanishing), Tom Voegeli (pronounced like 'vaguely'). I had a lot of "The Story of..." records, and Raiders was head and shoulders above all of them in sound quality. He won a Grammy for that Raiders record! Well-earned.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 10:54 AM   
 By:   ryanpaquet   (Member)

I think the album I was most excited to ever buy on CD was Saori Kobayashi's AZEL: Panzer Dragoon RPG Memorial album. I got it at release and had to get it with a money order through eBay before the days of paypal and I was too young to get a credit card. I had tried and failed to import the original release from HMV. This release is better as the CD designs bear the logo of the game - it also has a couple bonus remix tracks, which are alright. Also amazed that this album is on spotify, and thrilled the composer did a 20th Anniversary album Resurrection on Brave Wave Productions.

More recently it was the Tele 80 Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors album - still can't believe that happened.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 7:11 AM   
 By:   nilnav45   (Member)

As you might guess from my avatar, the CD release I was most excited about was Those Daring Young Men in their Jaunty Jalopies or Monte Carlo Or Bust as I know it best. I have had the US titled LP for years (the UK titled version is rarer).

So I was astounded when the 2CD set from Quartet was released with not only the original LP tracks but previously unreleased album cues, the complete score, the roadshow music and the variations of the title song. A big thank you to Chris Malone. The sound is terrific.

The only slight quibble was there was no artwork with the original title. A flipper cover with each title would have been great to have. But it’s the music that's important in the end.

All I need to go with it is a Blu-Ray with the original title. There has never been a DVD or Blu-Ray in the UK as far as I know. I only have an old VHS tape.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 7:20 AM   
 By:   spook   (Member)

I'm gonna go back to the release of THE FINAL CONFLICT.
I'm not as much of a Goldsmith fan as so many of you are here but this was the score that really knocked me for six when I hear it in the film. I was gutted it didn't initially come out and was absolutely ecstatic when it finally got released. Still to this day its probably my most played album.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 7:28 AM   

On an early December Friday evening in 1985, I did my regular pilgrimage at Sam the Record Man - on the corner on Ste-Catherine and St-Alexandre - and to my absolute astonishment, I saw a vison that would set the tone for the next four decades - a North by Northwest LP on the Unicorn-Kanchana label.

Owing to the awful quality of the pressing, I returned the LP to trade for the Varèse Sarabande-Starlog edition. Since it was no longer available according to the clerk, I turned my attention to a smallish display of shiny discs complete with miniature artwork. Thus began a near lifelong passion for film scores. I had purchased the odd soundtrack in the pervious years - Star Trek TMP, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Trek II were the first tentative steps, but the introduction of the CD - a format that wouldn't wear down, that were easy to handle and store - turbo-charged my collecting, unabated to this day.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 7:33 AM   

I'm gonna go back to the release of THE FINAL CONFLICT.
I'm not as much of a Goldsmith fan as so many of you are here but this was the score that really knocked me for six when I hear it in the film. I was gutted it didn't initially come out and was absolutely ecstatic when it finally got released. Still to this day its probably my most played album.

Indeed. Laying my eyes on the LP in the dying embers of that day, unannounced, a complete surprise, was a thrilling moment, a major highlight of my many decades of soundtrack hunting, especially for this Goldsmith “nummer one fan”.

Posted:   Jun 21, 2024 - 8:02 AM   
 By:   John B. Archibald   (Member)

The original lp for CONAN. Saw a press preview of it, and was bowled over by that magnificent music!
Another I avidly looked forward to was the release of the 2-CD CLEOPATRA.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2024 - 8:51 AM   
 By:   Superman1701   (Member)

The Trek TV scores
The Black Hole from Intrada
Independence Day
Batman 89 at Comic Con
The Trek film scores
The Superman Blue Box

And a zillion others