Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 18, 2022 - 1:33 AM   
 By:   agentMaestraX   (Member)

Contagious viewing!

Posted:   Oct 18, 2022 - 9:47 AM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

Romping through the new Amazon LOTR series THE RINGS OF POWER.
Enjoying it way more than I ever thought I would.
Sumptuous production design and cinematography, new characters to explore and first-rate music by Bear McCreary with real themes and motifs and development.
3 or 4 disparate strands of characters and situations which I'm sure will all knit together in the coming episodes and series.
No expense spared on this one, it looks fantastic, with solid writing and direction.
I'm into episode 6 (of 8).
Thrilling stuff.

Posted:   Oct 19, 2022 - 6:46 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Kev,
You Better Call Saul soon.
You wont be disappointed
big grin

Posted:   Oct 19, 2022 - 7:40 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

The Patient on Hulu -- very good, low key thriller with Domhnall Gleeson & Steve Carrell. Only 10 episodes, starting out at around 15 minutes each, gradually reaching 30+ . The finale is up next week.

Just finished season 4 of The Handmaid's Tale, which we're really enjoying. Over the top at times, but always engrossing and relevant . But damn , they just color grade the f*ck out of it. I know it's downbeat and grim, but someone of the indoor scenes they need to toss the actors a flashlight. Seriously good.

Posted:   Oct 22, 2022 - 7:38 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

The Watcher on Netfilx. Geez what a train wreck. Seeing Ryan Murphy's name attached should have been enough to say "NO, HELL NO". 7 episodes that get worse with each installment.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2022 - 3:32 AM   
 By:   Graham Watt   (Member)

I recently finished "Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities". Eight episodes of bizarre tales, most of them showing creator/presenter/executive producer del Toro's love of the macabre, with a heavy leaning towards Lovecraft (and, as seen when he's presenting the episodes, he really is beginning to lean heavily, and is a bit wheezy).

Two episodes actually are based directly on Lovecraft stories. They didn't really work, but apart from the short zero-budget Lovecraft Society (?) animated films, I've never seen a satisfactory adaptation of his stories.

Other episodes, especially the first few, rely a lot on very dark humour and extreme gore. They were okay. I disliked the one "The Outside", starring Kate Micucci as an unglamorous woman in a superficial world where beauty really counts. Then I thought about it from another viewpoint, and I see it now as really clever. "The Viewing" is quite a lot of fun, with Peter Weller as a guru in a mind-expanding experiment.

The best episode for me, by far, is the last one, "The Murmuring". Jennifer ("The Babadook") Kent directs from a short story by Guillermo del Toro himself. Essie ("The Babadook" - I really must catch this) Davis and Andrew Lincoln star. They are both exceptional in this. I'd only known Andrew Lincoln from "The Walking Dead", so it was nice to see him stretch his wings here. And a lot of wing-stretching there is in this episode, as the couple play ornithologists. The most atypical episode of them all, and the best, mainy because it genuinely touched my emotions. It's also the least shock-horror-decaptation episode. Beautiful.

Uneven overall, but worth a look for the high points - especially that last episode, which I can't stop thinking about.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2022 - 4:20 AM   

I watched the first ep of that series last week, Graham.
The one where the 'bitter with life' fella buys a storage lock-up and gets more than he bargained for.
I didn't like it much...very predictable and low-rent Stephen King...so I didn't bother with any others.
But...it's Netflix...so it's not going anywhere...and can be looked at again during moments of future boredom.
It probably helps that they're all one-off stories, so there's no real commitment.
It's BETTER CALL SAUL I need to start looking at.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2022 - 4:38 AM   

And yes, old Guilly is starting to look and sound like Orson Welles in his later days.
I half expected him to be holding a cigar and brandy glass during the Intro.
I don't think he owns a Peloton or plays that much togger either.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2022 - 5:11 AM   

I've got two episodes left to watch of series 2 of RESIDENT ALIEN.
It had a mid-season blip that nearly had me giving up on it, but we stuck with it and it's picked up a bit and the interplay between the characters can be quite funny and also quite touching.
Without Alan Tudyk it would be nothing though.
He's brilliant.
Cutting and annoying in equal measure, some of his comic asides are hilarious.

Did you stick with it Bill?

Posted:   Nov 9, 2022 - 7:52 AM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

I watched all three seasons of Deadwind also called Karppi. It is a Finnish crime show. The first season was too long and just so so. Seasons 2 and 3 were much better. I also finished Inside Man with David Tennat and Stanley Tucci. Very odd, and could have been done in 2 episodes instead of four.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2022 - 8:01 AM   

I've got two episodes left to watch of series 2 of RESIDENT ALIEN.
It had a mid-season blip that nearly had me giving up on it, but we stuck with it and it's picked up a bit and the interplay between the characters can be quite funny and also quite touching.
Without Alan Tudyk it would be nothing though.
He's brilliant.
Cutting and annoying in equal measure, some of his comic asides are hilarious.

Did you stick with it Bill?

No kev. 3 eps in to this second half of series it was getting sillier so i deleted.
If someone cud compile all this best blunt one liners i wudnt have to watch the rest of the rather tedious repeated chit chat among the other characters.

But im depressed. Last 3 episodes ever of Better call saul.
Let me tell you, its way way out ahead of anything else. In the top ten tv series of all time, id say. With sopranos, game of thrones, Gomorrah, breaking bad, spiral, the shield, etc.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2022 - 8:40 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

I've read some good things about Better Call Saul, but I think I need to watch Breaking Bad first, maybe I'll get around to that next year.

Posted:   Nov 10, 2022 - 10:33 AM   

Yes you would probably get a bit more out of Saul with BB in the bank, but its a great stand alone watch.

I dont know that series joanie but i will watchout for it.
Im currently 7 eps into Queen of the South. Not the scottish football team, but a mexican-dallas drugs cartel thriller. 8 out of 10.

Also watching s2 of Narcos, about escobar. 8 out 10

Also trying Van Helsing series, but jury is out. The vampire hierarchy and the farming of humans is quite well done, but some of the human group stuff is a bit silly. Like the walking dead when characters do stupid things just so they get in a dangerous scrape for half an episode. frown

"Hey theres 7 of us and there could be a feeder vampire around every corner so lets split up into twos, make ourselves more vunerable and help out the scriptwriters " ffs.

Do grown adult writers really think such scenarios are believable ? Possibly if you are writing the series for 14 year old girls.

The dialogue among the humans is seriously awful. Melodramatic and ott. And the characters hysterical overreaction in mundane scenes is frequent. Its like a badly acted Walking Dead.

Posted:   Nov 23, 2022 - 7:15 AM   

Im sure its been mentioned here previously but since ive got Better Call Saul withdrawal symptoms, somebody recommended Ozark.

Wow. Inspired casting about a financier who agrees to clean money for a dugs cartel, then finds hes under extreme pressure to deliver or he n his family will be dogfood. They move to the ozarks to take over local businesses to clean cash and it just gets messier and messier and messier.

9.3 out of 10.

Posted:   Nov 27, 2022 - 3:13 PM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

1899 (Netflix). Mystery on mystery, so many things going on. A passenger ship on route to the US in 1899 comes across another passenger ship that's been missing for four months, there's only one person on it, a small boy who says nothing. There's lots of stories & mysteries going on, it has a great look & a heavy feeling of doom about it. I watched the first two episodes & am enjoying it. I did read that it gets quite bonkers at the end, but I'm sticking with it; I hope it doesn't do a Lost at the end.

Posted:   Nov 27, 2022 - 11:58 PM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

FIFA World Cup in Qatar mostly.

Posted:   Nov 28, 2022 - 11:07 AM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

Just finished Season 5 of THE CROWN. Very well produced, acted and quite entertaining. But if you're looking for an accurate history lesson, look elsewhere.