Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 22, 2020 - 8:38 AM   
 By:   Xebec   (Member)

Miracle Workers - a comedy starring that Daniel Radcliffe lad and Steve Buscemi. It's an easy watch and fairly funny in places. Radcliffe is an angel working in the miracles dept., him and two others have to get a couple of twenty-somethings to kiss or God will blow up Earth. That makes it sound creepy. But i mean they have to bring to young lovers together for God's gratification. Again, that sounds creepy. But it isn't. At all.

Posted:   Jan 24, 2020 - 3:01 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Im up to part2 of Deadwater fell.
A mystery fire kills a family. But theres more than meets the eye. Its only problem is - i kid you not - a flashback scene every 14 poxy seconds. Seriously annoying

Part 3 of 4. Turning into one of those dreary formulaic itv/ch4 types dramas, usually written by women...theyre like Cold feet but with a murder. Much longer and i wont care about whatever twist there is. Never liked David Tennant much either but in this i wanna punch him.

Posted:   Jan 26, 2020 - 1:37 PM   

THE NEW POPE s2.

Up to episode 5 of 9. This is even better than first series. Quirky, wacky and surreal window into somebodys idea of vatican life. Pope John malkovic chews up every scene he is in and his sparring with corrupt secretary of state Voiello (Silvio Orlando) is utterly delicious. No sign yet of Jude Law (the previous pope), hes been in a coma all series so far. Some would find that a kind of apt parallel to Jude's acting..

Anyway, moving on, the sizzling glamour is provided by Cécile de France, the Belgian actress, who plays a sexy vatican advisor. Guest stars pop up visiting the Pope. Marilyn Manson last week, and this week... Sharon Stone. In a humourous Basic Instinct reference Pope Malkovic says: "Miss Stone... i would be eternally grateful if during the course of our conversation you avoided the uncrossing and recrossing of your legs..." - priceless! He asks what gift she has bought him, but she hasnt. He says he would like a tangible memory of her, so with a typical I-know-you-want-me smile, Sharon slips off her Christian Louboutin high heels and hands them to him. "I will have those placed in a most special relique" his holyness says. Made me laugh.

A few minutes later she finally asks if she can recross her legs and he clicks his fingers and makes all the line of priests avert their eyes the other way! Hilarious.

There is also some wonderful photography, clever imagery and framing, the type you might see in an arthouse film. The theme song Good Time Girl is very catchy - by Sofi Tukker, a German/ American musical duo based in New York consisting of Sophie Hawley-Weld (german) and Tucker Halpern (u.s). 

Posted:   Jan 28, 2020 - 2:19 PM   

Great film composers 80s pt1

This episode concentrates on electronic music, so begins with wendy carlos's Shining and Tron, and vangelis's chariots of fire and blade runner; brad fiedel and Terminator. They also covered Maurice Jarre's Year of living dangerously. Outside of electronic scores, they cover john williams still doing traditional scoring for Empire strikes back and Spielberg films, Raiders of lost Ark and ET; John Barry's Body Heat; Marvin Hamlisch's Ordinary People and Sophie's Choice...and even found time for Ennio Morricone and Once upon a time in America.