Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 19, 2011 - 9:44 PM   
 By:   Zooba   (Member)

I remember watching GOMER as a kid, First Run in the 60's.

I loved THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, so the feeling that was in that show carried over to GOMER.

I used to watch it a lot with my Aunt and Uncle and they got a kick out of it and Mom and Dad also enjoyed the relationship and comic play between Gomer and Sgt. Carter.

Most of the time Gomer appeared to be such a big goof, but under it all there was always a feeling that everything he did, came from the heart and the right place. He just had extreme bad luck to get involved in such crazy situations.

Watching it, so many years later it seems almost too unbelievable that such things could happen to him.

His admiration towards Sgt. Carter seemed almost borderline "creepy".

Frank Sutton was indeed the pillar of the show and it's just so sad that in real life he passed away so young. He was only 50 years old.

Loved the episodes with visits from the Mayberry folk, Goober, Aunt Bea, Opie and Andy.

I remember one episode where Gomer had a "Lucky Troll Doll". That one sticks in my mind.

Loved the GOMER AND THE PHONE COMPANY episode where the Public phone kept giving money like a slot machine and Gomer tried to return it to the Main Office.

Also the episode where that Big Construction Site Crane Ball fell on Sgt. Carter's Car right before Gomer's eyes.

The episode where Duke did the imitation of Sgt. Carter at the Nightclub and one first prize was also quite amusing. Loved it when Gomer called the real Sgt. Carter up to take a bow and he started doing himself. (That sounds kinda funny, huh?)

Please share your thoughts on the show and if you used to watch it First Run or in Reruns.

What were you favorite episodes?

What did you think of Earle Hagen's Theme and scoring of the series?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAA2Unb0B4

Was interesting that actor Ronnie Schell who played Gomer's best buddy Duke Slater, became Jerry Goldsmith's best buddy in real life. Ronnie spoke at the Maestro's memorial service.

Please share your thoughts.

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Zoob

Posted:   Sep 19, 2011 - 9:57 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

I wouldn't say it's one of my overwhelming favorites, but I am amazed at how easy Frank Sutton made the transition to an enduring sitcom regular when virtually ALL of his TV guest shots that I have seen in the immediate years prior he was usually playing some really psychotic villain types (and his last pre-Gomer role was as one of the murderous henchmen with Ed Asner in "The Satan Bug").

I think the one I liked most that sticks out is when Cousin Goober shows up from Mayberry and causes all kinds of trouble.

Posted:   Sep 19, 2011 - 9:59 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

Sutton made the show for me- he could be hilarious at times.

Posted:   Sep 20, 2011 - 7:44 PM   
 By:   msmith   (Member)

I just wish they didn't cut out his singing from the DVD's.
Leave it to CBS home video for refusing to pay music union fees.

Posted:   Sep 20, 2011 - 8:07 PM   

Anyone remember LouAnn Poovey? big grin

Posted:   Sep 20, 2011 - 9:17 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

Anyone remember LouAnn Poovey? big grin

Oh yes. She was played by Elizabeth McRae (who would play a woman that Howard Sprague takes a shining to while becoming a Big Brother to her brother on an episode of "The Andy Griffith Show"). Her singing voice was more suited to 12 tone opera rather than for singing popular songs. I wonder if C.B.S./Paramount ever removed any of her versions of "That Old Black Magic" from the "Gomer Pyle - U.S.M.C." D.V.D.s?

Posted:   Sep 20, 2011 - 9:19 PM   

I remember watching GOMER as a kid, First Run in the 60's.

I loved THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, so the feeling that was in that show carried over to GOMER.

I used to watch it a lot with my Aunt and Uncle and they got a kick out of it and Mom and Dad also enjoyed the relationship and comic play between Gomer and Sgt. Carter.

Most of the time Gomer appeared to be such a big goof, but under it all there was always a feeling that everything he did, came from the heart and the right place. He just had extreme bad luck to get involved in such crazy situations.

Watching it, so many years later it seems almost too unbelievable that such things could happen to him.

His admiration towards Sgt. Carter seemed almost borderline "creepy".

Frank Sutton was indeed the pillar of the show and it's just so sad that in real life he passed away so young. He was only 50 years old.

Loved the episodes with visits from the Mayberry folk, Goober, Aunt Bea, Opie and Andy.

I remember one episode where Gomer had a "Lucky Troll Doll". That one sticks in my mind.

Loved the GOMER AND THE PHONE COMPANY episode where the Public phone kept giving money like a slot machine and Gomer tried to return it to the Main Office.

Also the episode where that Big Construction Site Crane Ball fell on Sgt. Carter's Car right before Gomer's eyes.

The episode where Duke did the imitation of Sgt. Carter at the Nightclub and one first prize was also quite amusing. Loved it when Gomer called the real Sgt. Carter up to take a bow and he started doing himself. (That sounds kinda funny, huh?)

Please share your thoughts on the show and if you used to watch it First Run or in Reruns.

What were you favorite episodes?

What did you think of Earle Hagen's Theme and scoring of the series?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAA2Unb0B4

Was interesting that actor Ronnie Schell who played Gomer's best buddy Duke Slater, became Jerry Goldsmith's best buddy in real life. Ronnie spoke at the Maestro's memorial service.

Please share your thoughts.

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Zoob

In fact, both Ronnie Schell and Harvey Korman were good friends of Goldsmith and even showed up at the recording session for "Looney Tunes Back In Action".

Posted:   Sep 20, 2011 - 9:21 PM   

It's interesting to note that Andy, Opie, Aunt Bee and Goober all showed up in crossover episodes of "Gomer Pyle - U.S.M.C." I'm surprised that there wasn't one with Barney. Gomer himself would return in an episode where he comes home to Mayberry, and finds out that Andy, Opie Aunt Bee and Goober all went on a camping trip, who return in the end while Gomer's on the bus and tries to get their attention.

Posted:   Sep 21, 2011 - 10:40 AM   
 By:   janlafata   (Member)

Right here!...My name is Jan and I caught your post on a Google Alert, so I registered and I just wanted to pass along what makes up my "Gomer fan level". First a good majority of my YouTube Channel has full-length, commercial free Gomer episodes. I've only got about 40 or 50 uploaded so far, but my plan is to eventually upload all five seasons: http://www.youtube.com/user/janlafata?feature=mhee

Next I below to the Yahoo Gomer Pyle Group: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Gomer_Pyle_USMC_Fans/
Were only about 27 strong, and to be honest, I'm pretty much the one who chats the most. plus I upload pictures and memorabilia.

Finally, I probably watch the show at least a couple of times a week on my DVD's. I have all five seasons. I don't always know what it is that still attracts me to the show, that's like some 50 years old now. For one thing, I think it takes me back to my youth, and anytime I can do that is always good. Next I I think I just like the simplicity of the stories and the overall family friendly theme. Finally I just love the performance of Frank Sutton, who without which I don't think I would even watch the show.

I should also mention that I'm ex-Army, so there is that component to why I watch.

Jan

Posted:   Sep 21, 2011 - 11:42 AM   
 By:   Ray Faiola   (Member)

I have a print of the pilot, which is actually an episode of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. Andy takes Gomer to boot camp. The encounters with Carter are hilarious, punctuated by quick zoom close-up shots of the Sgt. staring at Pyle. Carter makes Pyle sing the Marine Hymn with a bucket over his head.

Obviously, Griffith & Co. were recreating the dynamic from NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS with Frank Sutton doing the Myron McCormick role. GOMER PYLE was, of course, much more successful than the official tv version of NO TIME, which starred Sammy Jackson and Harry Hickox (it lasted one season). GOMER and SERGEANTS both debuted in September of '64.

Posted:   Sep 21, 2011 - 1:58 PM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

Really? One of the episodes I remember from when I was a kid was when he sang The Impossible Dream.

I had the Gomer Pyle lunchbox when I was young. So annoyed, as my brother had The Green Hornet lunchbox and I wanted it real bad. wink

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   Sep 21, 2011 - 2:03 PM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

Really? One of the episodes I remember from when I was a kid was when he sang The Impossible Dream.

I had the Gomer Pyle lunchbox when I was young. So annoyed, as my brother had The Green Hornet lunchbox and I wanted it real bad. wink

Greg Espinoza

Can you believe i let this guy hang out with me?
bruce

Posted:   Sep 21, 2011 - 2:09 PM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

bruce

Hey, you better not own a Green Hornet lunchbox... wink

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   Sep 21, 2011 - 2:19 PM   
 By:   msmith   (Member)

Greg Espinoza

CLICK BELOW TO READ SOME REVIEWS ABOUT EDITED EPISODES OF GOMER PYLE ON DVD:
http://www.amazon.com/review/RNXKX5OH5ON93

Posted:   Sep 21, 2011 - 5:14 PM   
 By:   jeane allard   (Member)

Please share your thoughts

Eventhough I was only 6 or 7 when the show first aired, we watched it because
Ronnie Schell was born and raised in Richmond, CA (I was born in Berkeley and raised
in Richmond) we were amazed that anyone from funky Richmond could actually be
on a T.V. show. His parents were proud because they had a big sign with their name (and Ronnie's) on it on their front lawn in Richmond, for everyone to see. I did not know
that Ronnie was friends with J.G. I think I have a bit more respect for him.

Posted:   Sep 21, 2011 - 6:19 PM   

Please share your thoughts

Eventhough I was only 6 or 7 when the show first aired, we watched it because
Ronnie Schell was born and raised in Richmond, CA (I was born in Berkeley and raised
in Richmond) we were amazed that anyone from funky Richmond could actually be
on a T.V. show. His parents were proud because they had a big sign with their name (and Ronnie's) on it on their front lawn in Richmond, for everyone to see. I did not know
that Ronnie was friends with J.G. I think I have a bit more respect for him.

jeane, did you know Ronnie Schell was a good friend of Bay Area broadcasting legend Don Sherwood, and appeared on his talk show on Channel 2 ("Sherwood As Is"). In fact, he even makes a reference to him on "Gomer Pyle - U.S.M.C." when he promised Lou Ann Poovey a spot on his radio show!

Posted:   Sep 22, 2011 - 12:17 AM   

Back in fiifth grade, we guys had a joke that got a laugh on the playground- Gomer and Lou Ann necking in the dark-

GOMER-"Lou Ann, can I put my finger in your belly button?"

LOU ANN "Allright, Gomah...

" "Why Gomah, that's not my belly button!"

GOMER- "Suprize, suprize, suprize! That's not my finger!" big grin

Posted:   Sep 22, 2011 - 1:25 PM   
 By:   jeane allard   (Member)

jeane, did you know Ronnie Schell was a good friend of Bay Area broadcasting legend Don Sherwood, and appeared on his talk show on Channel 2 ("Sherwood As Is"). In fact, he even makes a reference to him on "Gomer Pyle - U.S.M.C." when he promised Lou Ann Poovey a spot on his radio show!

Yes, I remember Don Sherwood, and hearing him talk about Ronnie on KSFO, I missed the
Channel 2 segment though. Don's son Greg is on KQED in S.F. (sorry i digress)

Posted:   Sep 22, 2011 - 1:41 PM   
 By:   'Lenny Bruce' Marshall   (Member)

bruce

Hey, you better not own a Green Hornet lunchbox... wink

Greg Espinoza

Notice i used the specific term "hang out with me"
i didn't say i "let him be seen in public with me"

heh! heh!
bruce

Posted:   Sep 22, 2011 - 4:03 PM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

Fan, sorta, I watched it while I was growing up.
Frank Sutton and Ronnie Schell were the highlights of the show.
Favorite episode, musically speaking, was “Showtime With Sgt. Carol" with Carol Burnett when she wanted Gomer to sing in the Marine Corps Band against Sgt. Carter’s wishes.
The part I most enjoyed was when Gomer was rehearsing “Recitar!” from “Pagliacci” and does the laugh. Carter imitates the laugh and hands Pyle a shovel.
I thought it was funny anyway.