Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 22, 2012 - 11:10 AM   
 By:   msmith   (Member)

Some sad comments about Gomer Pyle on DVD:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished watching all 30 episodes of Gomer Pyle Season 3 and can report happily that all the episodes, with one possible exception are complete. In Season 2 at least 2 of Gomer's songs were cut. In Season 3 there are 2 episodes that require Gomer to sing and all those songs are included. Those are "Love's Old Sweet Song" where he sings to Lou-Ann Poovie and "Sing A Song Of Papa" where he sings for the gangster nightclub owner. However, there is one episode "To Re-Enlist Or Not To Re-Enlist" that is questionable. There is a scene with Sgt. Carter and Cpl. Boyle discussing Gomer's upcoming re-enlistment. Then, cut to Gomer and his fellow Marines in the barracks talking about whether they will all re-enlist. In this scene Gomer is holding a guitar. Did he just finish a song that was cut? This episode is also the shortest with a running time of 24:02. I don't know why all of Gomer's other songs would be included and just one just song cut from this one episode, so I'm guessing this episode is also complete. But, can anybody confirm from memory or a bootleg DVD or VHS tape if this episode is complete? Also, all 3 of the episodes that feature Lou-Ann Poovie have her songs included which strengthens the case for Season 3 being complete with no cut songs.

I found a vhs copy I taped off of TV and Gomer does sing in "To Re-Inlist or not..." at the spot where you said. He plays the guitar and sings " This Train is a Going Home Train, This Train". It lasts over a minute and a half. Why it was cut I don't know. Also a small cut in "Love's Old Sweet Song" at the end of the episode Sgt. Carter sings to Lou-Ann from a phone booth and they cut his singing and went right to the part where she hung up on him. That ruined the end joke. At least they kept part of it unlike the 2nd season in "Gomer Untrains a Dog" Where they cut out the whole end scene where Sgt Carter sings "There are Smiles That Make you Happy" to the Dog after Gomer sang it earlier in the episode (Which, of course was also cut).

Nat,
Thanks for the bad news. I was hoping this episode was complete but I was wrong. At least this Season 3 wasn't cut up as bad as Season 2. It's puzzling why the CBS Home Video Idiots make abitrary cuts in the songs. If CBS doesn't own the song copyrights anymore, why are some of the songs included? If they do own the copyrights, why don't they include all the songs? If I had known the song you note was cut, I might not have bought his Season 3 DVD. If there are any CBS Song-Cutting Idiots reading this, please be advised I am not going to very hesitant about buying any more of your Gomer Pyle DVD's unless I know they are complete. I remember a nice 2 part episode (from currently unreleased Season 4 or 5) where Gomer sings "The Impossible Dream" in a Navy show in Washington D.C. which made for a wonderful dramatic climax. I wonder if the CBS Idiots are going to cut that?

There is also at least one cut in the episode "Go Blow Your Horn", possibly two. Until this DVD, it had been years since I saw this episode, but I noticed when Carter tells Boyle to go to the barracks to make Gomer stop playing his ukelele, there is merely generic ukelele music on the DVD. Originally, I'm sure Gomer was playing and singing a song. I don't remember the song, but seems to me it had the words "bye, bye" in it. Earlier, about a minute-and-a-half into the episode, Gomer is telling the Sergeant how in grade school his class would march to class while singing to something called The National Emblem March (which I never heard of). There is a "jump" in the scene, and I think that perhaps Gomer sang a bit of it for the Sarge and it was cut out. Singing for Sgt. Carter there on the spot would have been totally in character for Gomer. At 24:49, the episode's length is up to a minute shorter than some of the others. I would appreciate knowing what someone else thinks.

Dale,
You are right. I have that episode that I taped off of tv. Gomer is singing a song with "bye bye" in it but I am not sure of the song title. Also the second time Boyle goes to the barracks Gomer is singing "Ain't She Sweet" while playing the ukelele which is also cut out. And the other scene at the beginning you talk about was cut just like you figured. They cut out Gomer grabbing Sgt. Carters hand and swinging his arm while going DAA da da Daada dada....( The National Emblem March, if you heard the tune you would recognize it). Similar to Stars and Stripes Forever which Gomer does later and that is not cut. Other cuts I have come across are in "Lou-Ann Sings Again" they cut out her song when Gomer and Duke first come in the club (watch it, an obvious cut). Also a small cut in "Lou-Ann Sings No More" at the very end in the record store a customer ask how the song "Red, Red Robin" goes and they cut out where Lou-Ann gets Gomer to sing a few bars of it. All these edits are annoying and puzzling.

Posted:   Jun 22, 2012 - 9:38 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

Some sad comments about Gomer Pyle on DVD:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished watching all 30 episodes of Gomer Pyle Season 3 and can report happily that all the episodes, with one possible exception are complete. In Season 2 at least 2 of Gomer's songs were cut. In Season 3 there are 2 episodes that require Gomer to sing and all those songs are included. Those are "Love's Old Sweet Song" where he sings to Lou-Ann Poovie and "Sing A Song Of Papa" where he sings for the gangster nightclub owner. However, there is one episode "To Re-Enlist Or Not To Re-Enlist" that is questionable. There is a scene with Sgt. Carter and Cpl. Boyle discussing Gomer's upcoming re-enlistment. Then, cut to Gomer and his fellow Marines in the barracks talking about whether they will all re-enlist. In this scene Gomer is holding a guitar. Did he just finish a song that was cut? This episode is also the shortest with a running time of 24:02. I don't know why all of Gomer's other songs would be included and just one just song cut from this one episode, so I'm guessing this episode is also complete. But, can anybody confirm from memory or a bootleg DVD or VHS tape if this episode is complete? Also, all 3 of the episodes that feature Lou-Ann Poovie have her songs included which strengthens the case for Season 3 being complete with no cut songs.

I found a vhs copy I taped off of TV and Gomer does sing in "To Re-Inlist or not..." at the spot where you said. He plays the guitar and sings " This Train is a Going Home Train, This Train". It lasts over a minute and a half. Why it was cut I don't know. Also a small cut in "Love's Old Sweet Song" at the end of the episode Sgt. Carter sings to Lou-Ann from a phone booth and they cut his singing and went right to the part where she hung up on him. That ruined the end joke. At least they kept part of it unlike the 2nd season in "Gomer Untrains a Dog" Where they cut out the whole end scene where Sgt Carter sings "There are Smiles That Make you Happy" to the Dog after Gomer sang it earlier in the episode (Which, of course was also cut).

Nat,
Thanks for the bad news. I was hoping this episode was complete but I was wrong. At least this Season 3 wasn't cut up as bad as Season 2. It's puzzling why the CBS Home Video Idiots make abitrary cuts in the songs. If CBS doesn't own the song copyrights anymore, why are some of the songs included? If they do own the copyrights, why don't they include all the songs? If I had known the song you note was cut, I might not have bought his Season 3 DVD. If there are any CBS Song-Cutting Idiots reading this, please be advised I am not going to very hesitant about buying any more of your Gomer Pyle DVD's unless I know they are complete. I remember a nice 2 part episode (from currently unreleased Season 4 or 5) where Gomer sings "The Impossible Dream" in a Navy show in Washington D.C. which made for a wonderful dramatic climax. I wonder if the CBS Idiots are going to cut that?

There is also at least one cut in the episode "Go Blow Your Horn", possibly two. Until this DVD, it had been years since I saw this episode, but I noticed when Carter tells Boyle to go to the barracks to make Gomer stop playing his ukelele, there is merely generic ukelele music on the DVD. Originally, I'm sure Gomer was playing and singing a song. I don't remember the song, but seems to me it had the words "bye, bye" in it. Earlier, about a minute-and-a-half into the episode, Gomer is telling the Sergeant how in grade school his class would march to class while singing to something called The National Emblem March (which I never heard of). There is a "jump" in the scene, and I think that perhaps Gomer sang a bit of it for the Sarge and it was cut out. Singing for Sgt. Carter there on the spot would have been totally in character for Gomer. At 24:49, the episode's length is up to a minute shorter than some of the others. I would appreciate knowing what someone else thinks.

Dale,
You are right. I have that episode that I taped off of tv. Gomer is singing a song with "bye bye" in it but I am not sure of the song title. Also the second time Boyle goes to the barracks Gomer is singing "Ain't She Sweet" while playing the ukelele which is also cut out. And the other scene at the beginning you talk about was cut just like you figured. They cut out Gomer grabbing Sgt. Carters hand and swinging his arm while going DAA da da Daada dada....( The National Emblem March, if you heard the tune you would recognize it). Similar to Stars and Stripes Forever which Gomer does later and that is not cut. Other cuts I have come across are in "Lou-Ann Sings Again" they cut out her song when Gomer and Duke first come in the club (watch it, an obvious cut). Also a small cut in "Lou-Ann Sings No More" at the very end in the record store a customer ask how the song "Red, Red Robin" goes and they cut out where Lou-Ann gets Gomer to sing a few bars of it. All these edits are annoying and puzzling.

I find that to be annoying. Also, the saxophone music that was performed at the nightclub in the episode where Duke Slater impersonates Sgt. Carter was taken out and replaced by new music.

Posted:   Jun 22, 2012 - 10:22 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

Sadly, this is par for the course in the history of DVD releases from CBS/Paramount. But compared to what happened to the last three seasons of "The Odd Couple", "Gomer Pyle" got off lucky by comparison.

Posted:   Jun 24, 2012 - 2:02 AM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

There was something so pompous and unschooled about his baritone voice that I always scratched my head when my late grandmother- or anyone else, for that matter- liked it. big grin

I think the "comic character with the surprisingly good singing voice" was first Crazy Guggenheim's (Frank Fontaine's) schtick. (Were there other famous singing comics I'm forgetting?) Guggenheim might not be as familiar to modern audiences as the indelible Pyle character, but his singing voice is unquestionably the better of the two.

Posted:   Jun 12, 2024 - 5:33 PM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

In fact, both Ronnie Schell and Harvey Korman were good friends of Goldsmith and even showed up at the recording session for "Looney Tunes Back In Action".

Schell, Korman, Shelly Berman, Bill Dana, Chuck McCann, among others, showed up in Clearwater and put on an afternoon show for the ages around Y2K. Could not believe I was watching these guys live having watched them on TV as a kid.

And as a kid, used to mix up Frank Sutton with Neville Brand and vice versa.

Favorite ep was when Gomer, partnered with Carter, I think, thrived in the food department during the survival exercise.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 10:29 AM   
 By:   sales   (Member)

Here in the UK Forces TV a now defunct free view channel ran all the colour episodes ignoring the 1st season about 8 years ago I thought it was quite funny . I enjoyed seeing actors as diverse as Michael Forrest and Jamie Farr guest starring and other MASH veteran William Christopher as a recurring character from I think season 3.They also ran F Troop but only showed season 1 never got to see season 2 in colour thought Ken Berry and Larry Storch were very funny

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 11:37 AM   
 By:   Howard L   (Member)

Yes, one of my all-time favorites. Frank DeKova as Chief Wild Eagle...LOL

Posted:   Jun 20, 2024 - 11:41 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

I thought he was great in Andy Griffith but I could never cross over to his new show, and I could never really cross into the color episodes of Andy Griffith either. It sounds crazy, but the show was much better in black and white, and stories more unique, the humor better.