Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 3:10 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

"Air Force One" is always on my personal list of greatest guilty pleasure movies - which, BTW, has "Independence Day" sitting proudly on top!...
As for the music, "The Hijacking" cue alone - one of the greatest action cues of the '90s - would be reason enough to consider this score superior to ED!

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 3:21 PM   
 By:   mnrvason   (Member)

"Air Force One" is always on my personal list of greatest guilty pleasure movies - which, BTW, has "Independence Day" sitting proudly on top!...
As for the music, "The Hijacking" cue alone - one of the greatest action cues of the '90s - would be reason enough to consider this score superior to ED!

Couldn't agree more!!

SheriffJoe

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 4:05 PM   
 By:   BornOfAJackal   (Member)

Executive Decision. Better score, better movie.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 4:20 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

It would be great if McNeely got more "high profiled projects" but he's writing some absolutely stunning music for Disney and their Tinker Bell series of films! They are among some of my most played scores as of late! Hopefully one day some one will release them commercially for everyone else to enjoy!

Damn straight, Eric. We need Intrada to rescue these for us! In my opinion they are actually the best scores I've ever heard from McNeely (not that I don't like his earlier stuff). They've got everything: magical themes, powerful action, specialty (largely celtic) instruments, big choir...oh wait maybe that last one is why they haven't been released. frown

Yavar

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 8:12 PM   
 By:   IWalkAmongYou   (Member)

Sorry. Double Post. Big stubby fingers.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 8:13 PM   
 By:   IWalkAmongYou   (Member)

In AFO, you have the kid/wife in distress and the traitor and Harrison Ford might as well be President Indiana Jones by the end and the over-acting in the Situation Room scenes doesn't help. Dean Stockwell's performance is almost cringe-inducing and his subplot is entirely useless. (VP is next in the line of succession, not SecDef.)

Ever since Reagan was shot and Alexander Haig acted like he was second in command instead of the V. P. Hollywood movies have included scenes where the Secretary of Defense or the Secretary of State gets all excited about being in next-in-line instead of the V.P. And until all the screenwriters in Hollywood are too young to have been alive when this happened it will continue to get referenced. Art imitates life. It's become quite the Hollywood cliche.

Oh. I prefer AFO. Both movies are extremely Hollywood silly. Both scores above average... but the AFO theme alone has become a classic.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 8:17 PM   
 By:   ScottDS   (Member)

In AFO, you have the kid/wife in distress and the traitor and Harrison Ford might as well be President Indiana Jones by the end and the over-acting in the Situation Room scenes doesn't help. Dean Stockwell's performance is almost cringe-inducing and his subplot is entirely useless. (VP is next in the line of succession, not SecDef.)

Ever since Reagan was shot and Alexander Haig acted like he was second in command instead of the V. P. Hollywood movies have included scenes where the Secretary of Defense or the Secretary of State gets all excited about being in next-in-line instead of the V.P. And until all the screenwriters in Hollywood are too young to have been alive when this happened it will continue to get referenced. Art imitates life. It's become quite the Hollywood cliche.

Yeah, I was aware of the Haig connection (I'm 30 so I had to ask someone!)... it's just another conflict in a movie that doesn't need any more conflicts. There's something to be said about getting the most out of your story but not when it's based on a false premise. smile

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 8:21 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

(Although it's possible we'll never get one. frown )

Why´s that? Well, Varese hasn´t exactly been very productive with expansions what comes to their 90´s Goldsmith scores, but do they still hold the rights to every one of them?

They hold the rights to it "in perpetuity", so until they decide to expand it, or they can be talked into selling the rights, it's not going to happen.

Master list thread of "in perpetuity" Varese titles:
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=86092&forumID=1&archive=0

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 8:41 PM   
 By:   PhiladelphiaSon   (Member)

I can't really speak to either score; but, I can say without a doubt that I prefer EXECUTIVE DECISION as a film. I didn't particularly care for AIR FORCE ONE.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2013 - 6:35 AM   
 By:   Peter Atterberg   (Member)

Huge fan of the Air Force One score and still listen to it frequently.

As for the movie itself? Well, fun popcorn movie. A few parts make me chuckle when they shouldn't, mainly...Wait for it...The situation room scene. One part in particular is when one of the General's scream, "They can't do this!!! We're the United States of America?!!!" or some line like that. It was over done. A simple distraught look or a whispered line, "I can't believe this is happening..." would have done much better.

Anyways, one of my favorite Jerry Goldsmith scores. Still have no problem watching the movie.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2013 - 6:38 AM   
 By:   Peter Atterberg   (Member)

Huge fan of the Air Force One score and still listen to it frequently.

As for the movie itself? Well, fun popcorn movie. A few parts make me chuckle when they shouldn't, mainly...Wait for it...The situation room scene. One part in particular is when one of the General's scream, "They can't do this!!! We're the United States of America?!!!" or some line like that. It was over done. A simple distraught look or a whispered line, "I can't believe this is happening..." would have done much better.

Anyways, one of my favorite Jerry Goldsmith scores. Still have no problem watching the movie.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2013 - 9:17 AM   
 By:   Dan Hobgood   (Member)

Both fine, fine scores.

Have to piggybag on the comments about the Glenn Close/situation room scenes from the latter film; reliable as Close--a fellow William & Mary grad--usually is, her acting is just awful in that movie. (Bad direction, perhaps?)

Dan

Posted:   Apr 19, 2013 - 4:21 AM   
 By:   Kim Peterson   (Member)

Both are great action scores. Like both equally.

Posted:   Apr 19, 2013 - 7:02 PM   
 By:   Krakatoa   (Member)

"Executive Decision"...with all due respect to "Air Force One", especially that stirring main theme.

Posted:   Jun 17, 2024 - 11:43 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

YOR like them both!

Great scores!

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 3:58 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Easily AIR FORCE ONE. Petersen, like his German compatriot Emmerich often does, plays satirically around with US patriotism. The score reflects that too, in entertaining ways.

EXECUTIVE DECISION is pretty neat as a film too; an unheralded potpoiler, but without the extra meta layer. Can't remember a note of the music, though.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 4:03 AM   
 By:   Nicolai P. Zwar   (Member)

I love both scores... AIR FORCE ONE has that great patriotic theme and some outstanding action music, like the hair raising "The Hijacking", while EXECUTIVE DECISION is more subdued, so it may depend on what you are in the mood for.

EXECUTIVE DECISION is the better movie though, but both movies are entertaining.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2024 - 4:03 AM   
 By:   Kentishsax   (Member)

I think they're both great thrillers and the scores are not half bad. Jerry by then was into his canon writing style for action (these two, Chain Reaction and others), having returned to action films but by the time of US Marshals and Insurrection, the technique got a bit boring for me. Executive is more the 'slow burning' score and it is effective for that.

But unlike most of today's cut and paste generic music, all these by Jerry, even the - to me, obnoxious Marshals score - as soon as one sees those titles, the music is in one's head!