Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 20, 2019 - 10:50 AM   
 By:   Rameau   (Member)

SPECTRE an improvement on SKYFALL?!

YOU are insane!

I think it is an improvement on Skyfall, as bad as it is. Skyfall has to be the most stupid Bond story ever, & it doesn't help that it stars old misery guts as Bond.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2019 - 10:55 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

One thing i could say about spectre - i didnt think id seen it before but didnt realise i had until that silly damsel in distress building set for detonation finale - i could never say that about any of the Connery Bonds - if you had seen them they were so good you didnt forget them!

Posted:   Mar 20, 2019 - 11:12 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

SPECTRE an improvement on SKYFALL?!

YOU are insane!

I think it is an improvement on Skyfall, as bad as it is. Skyfall has to be the most stupid Bond story ever, & it doesn't help that it stars old misery guts as Bond.

That summarises my views, too. I've written at length about my disappointment with Skyfall (2012) ... as poor as it is, Spectre (2015) at least tries to be JB007 film. Its predecessor is merely an action film with a lead character named James Bond.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2019 - 2:45 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

FIVE FEET APART (2019) - 7/10

Until I looked her up, I hadn't realized that I had seen actress Haley Lu Richardson in one earlier film--M. Night Shyamalan's 2016 scare-fest SPLIT, in which she played one of three young girls held captive by James McAvoy. FIVE FEET APART is her fifth film since then, and in looking at the photos from SPLIT, she looks younger in this film than she did in SPLIT. That's only right, I guess, as the 23-year-old is playing about 18 in this film.

Richardson co-stars with Cole Sprouse as two teenagers dealing with different forms of cystic fibrosis. The film presents a harrowingly accurate vision of the life of those who have to cope with this incurable disease--the massive drug regimens, the constant medical procedures, the ever-present oxygen supplements. And the necessity of staying a certain distance from other people with the disease, lest your lungs become infected with yet another affliction that they cannot withstand in their ever-weakening state. That last restriction can really put a crimp in one's love life, as the pair discover.

This is obviously not the feel-good movie of the year, yet it offers hope amid tragedy. Richardson is really luminous in her role. The film is worth seeing just to watch her. Brian Tyler and Breton Vivian provide an affecting score.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2019 - 3:31 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Josie
Slow pile of shit. Saw the twist coming long before it left home. 4 out of 10.