Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 23, 2022 - 2:22 PM   
 By:   KeV McG   (Member)

THE STARLING / 2021/Netflix / 1/10

Carole picked our viewing show last night and this is what she picked!!!
It's one of the worst - and most inane/annoying - films I've seen in a very long time.
It's actually billed as a comedy/drama, but there is No Comedy. Or drama.
Not one character or situation rang true for me.
While it was on, all I could think was 'somebody greenlit this...somebody wrote this...somebody GOT PAID for this!!!
It's absolute Shite!!
The one star is for the pleasant (if utterly bland and predictable) strings and piano based score by Benjamin Wallfisch, a modern day film composer I really like. But this one felt phoned in.
Carole hated it too (and apologised) wink
Avoid like the plague.

Posted:   Jan 23, 2022 - 2:52 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Nobody
With bob odenkirk from Better Call Saul.

Outrageously violent but funny movie about a rather weird quirky family guy who seems a bit disengaged from his family n job. Turns out hes an ex Cia cleaner - kind of a john Wick - whos been dormant for years. A house burglary activates him and then he becomes a target of some Russian mafia. Black comedy, super violent but bloody hilarious. 7.8 out of 10

Posted:   Jan 23, 2022 - 2:58 PM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Mitch - the acting of the dinosaurs was worth more than 2 out of 10! And Nascimbene's theme is wonderful. Even raquel welch's scissored-snipped bikini is worth a point. And the script is unique. They fashion an entire dialogue with only three words..."Ugh," "Tumak" and "Luana." The scriptwriter is a genius.

Posted:   Jan 24, 2022 - 11:09 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

DESOLATION CANYON (2006) – 7/10

After an outlaw gang robs a bank and kidnaps a young boy, they are pursued by the sheriff (Patrick Duffy), the kidnapped boy's grandfather (Stacy Keach), and the bank owner (David Rees Snell) who is in love with the boy’s estranged mother (Kelly Overton). The catch is that one of the robbers is the boy’s father (and Keach’s son), played by Victor Browne. An additional complication is that there are a couple of bounty hunters (Franc Ross and A Martinez) also after the gang.

This is a good made-for-cable western, shot almost entirely outdoors. There are also some interesting character dynamics, particularly involving Rees Snell’s banker, who is something other than the transplanted Eastern dandy he initially appears to be. The film is less violent than some, since it was produced for the Hallmark Channel. Plenty of bad guys bite the dust, but nothing is too gruesome. Joe Kraemer gives the film a muscular score.