Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 25, 2013 - 4:37 PM   
 By:   lostboy408   (Member)

So I just found out that the score to the movie Deadly Blessing (a somewhat obscure Wes Craven flick) was scored by James Horner. There doesn't seem to be an official release, so I was wondering... would anyone buy this if it was to be released?

I Know I would, but that's because i'm a big fan of Horner

Posted:   Nov 25, 2013 - 5:10 PM   
 By:   Adam B.   (Member)

I would not, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see it released. Hell, I don't buy 98% of the stuff that's put out anyway. I'm always glad to see early or obscure scores released even if I have no interest in them at all. Someone will want them.

Posted:   Nov 26, 2013 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I remember taping the score from this IN A CINEMA!!! back in the day when the film was first released!
I was THAT crazy about Horner and his music as he was starting out (I also did the taping thing with Wolfen, 48 Hrs, Natty Gann and Something Wicked). There was just something about his early sound and style that jazzed me so much.
This score does have some serious Omen/temp track borrowings, but it also has one of those lovely Horner main themes that is soooo lyrical and gorgeous and some excellent scare/suspense tracks that are typical Horner. I really liked the film too and still do.
Fortunately, a very good quality boot was released (coupled with Wolfen) that wasn't complete, but featured all the highlights from the score, when boots were good and could be purchased from reputable vendors wink
I'd still buy a souped-up complete version with all the trimmings, if one were to be offered.

Posted:   Nov 26, 2013 - 12:31 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

I'd definitely want an official release like its paired score Wolfen got and I love the early Horner Horror scores! Bringz it on.

Posted:   Nov 26, 2013 - 1:29 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

So I just found out that the score to the movie Deadly Blessing (a somewhat obscure Wes Craven flick) was scored by James Horner. There doesn't seem to be an official release, so I was wondering... would anyone buy this if it was to be released?

I Know I would, but that's because i'm a big fan of Horner

I would. I'd like to finally get replace my other copy.

Posted:   Nov 26, 2013 - 6:02 PM   
 By:   Sigerson Holmes   (Member)

I remember taping the score from this IN A CINEMA!!! back in the day when the film was first released!
I was THAT crazy about Horner and his music as he was starting out (I also did the taping thing with Wolfen, 48 Hrs, Natty Gann and Something Wicked). There was just something about his early sound and style that jazzed me so much.

. . . So, anything strike you as, um, interesting, when you first heard "Something Wicked" after already being familiar with "Deadly Blessing"?

Posted:   Nov 26, 2013 - 7:42 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

I hear ya. I'm not much of a Horner fan, but those early scores had a sound that was very promising indeed, then lightning struck when I purchased STAR TREK II! What a score!