Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Aug 8, 2014 - 6:03 PM   
 By:   welwynfilmstudios   (Member)

The Cohen Media Group has released a brand new trailer for TF1's recent restoration of director Philippe de Broca's That Man From Rio (1964), starring Jean-Paul Belmondo, Françoise Dorléac, Jean Servais, Roger Dumas, and Adolfo Celi. The restoration will be introduced at New York's Film Forum on August 22.

The U.S. distributors have also confirmed that a Blu-ray release is scheduled to arrive on the market in 2015.

Synopsis: A blow dart-wielding thug snatches a rare statuette from the Musée de l'Homme;anthropologist Jean Servais (Rififi) is kidnapped in broad Parisian daylight ; serviceman Jean-Paul Belmondo begins his 8-day leave by changing to civvies in a Métro entrance and witnesses fiancée Françoise Dorléac (Catherine Deneuve's sister, killed in a car accident 3 years later) getting kidnapped herself – and then the chase begins: by motorcycle, shoe leather, flight to Rio de Janeiro sans ticket or passport, airport baggage carrier, cable car, pink car complete with green stars and a rumble seat, water skies, Amazon river boat, seaplane, jungle vine… all shot in breathtaking widescreen and color. Even as Dorléac, rescued, is kidnapped again, Belmondo performs his own blood-curdling stunts against that sugar loaf Rio skyline and across that under-construction unearthly architecture of Brasilia (even parachuting almost into the jaws of a hungry croc).

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14689

Posted:   Aug 9, 2014 - 7:11 AM   
 By:   Montana Dave   (Member)

I am eager, eager to see this film for the first time. I've been looking for it since the days of video tapes and I was never able to catch it when shown in retrospectives during the 80's. This trailer you provided in the link is exactly as I hoped it be, a zany, crazy, fast paced escapade with a cigarette hanging from Belmondo's lips. I've been a fan of Jean Dujardin's 'O.S.S.' films, particularly his 'O.S.S.117 Lost in Rio', but this film should easily top it. And since Kritzerland issued that Georges Delerue complete score sometime back, I'm ready for the Blu ray.

Posted:   Aug 11, 2014 - 7:22 AM   
 By:   John McMasters   (Member)

The restored version has been available on a French bluray for a while -- I have it and it looks very good to my eyes. There are also a bunch of other Belmondo films with the same "flavor" that have been restored and are on French blurays:

No subtitles on this box set -- but I still enjoyed the films enormously:

http://www.amazon.fr/films-cultes-Belmondo-tribulations-magnifique/dp/B00DSL1NRM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1407766650&sr=8-5&keywords=belmondo

There are subtitles on this one:

http://www.amazon.fr/Le-Cerveau-Blu-ray-Jean-Paul-Belmondo/dp/B00AYR03O2/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1407766677&sr=8-18&keywords=belmondo

It will be interesting if the new edition has the same transfer or has been improved. I love the film! I'll double dip if it looks better.