Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 13, 2018 - 1:47 PM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

I thought these two gems deserved their own thread rather than getting lost in general Goldsmith Odyssey discussion. Even if you don't normally care about listening to podcasts, I hope you'll skip to around 49 minutes into our latest episode, where we "premiere"* these two fantastic music library cues for the general public:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/797224-episode-12-cbs-music-library-spectacular-part-1

*both cues existed in fragments on Twilight Zone isolated score tracks, but only complete on obscure TransWorld 78s -- FSM user Ron Burbella supplied us with a digital copy of those, and W. David Lichty (aka Lorien here) painstakingly pieced together the best sounding elements for us between that and various TZ episode iso tracks.

I would be really curious to hear what people think of them, as they really impressed me as strong examples of early Goldsmith. City Mood has just such a cool confident gumshoe vibe to it, and Jailbreak is a fantastic early example of Jerry's mixed-meter action music with badass brass punctuations. I wonder when they were written/recorded -- late 50s almost certainly, but when? We will probably never know unless...

It would be really amazing if we could get more early Goldsmith at CBS commercially released (Prometheus's tantalizing "Volume One" CD of The Early Years frustratingly indicated there was material for further volumes in the vaults.) These two cues demonstrate that some of the best stuff remains unreleased -- imagine hearing these in great sound from the original tapes! Oh how I wish FSM was still in business because this is exactly the obscure gem sort of material they wouldn't shy away from tackling head-on. smile

Yavar

Posted:   Sep 24, 2018 - 3:29 PM   

I thought this might be worth at least one bump, in case folks missed it -- I'd really love to hear what people think of these two pieces.

Yavar

Posted:   Sep 24, 2018 - 4:13 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

I'll bump up my no-reply thread and raise you one:
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=130270

Btw, did Grams get the music notes from the TWZ Cafe, or other way round?

Posted:   Sep 24, 2018 - 6:41 PM   
 By:   W. David Lichty [Lorien]   (Member)

I'll bump up my no-reply thread and raise you one:
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=130270

Btw, did Grams get the music notes from the TWZ Cafe, or other way round?

Probably neither. According to a podcasted interview I found, Grams had access to thorough documents, and a connection who had access to all or most of the CBS Music Library. He listed each cue used in every Twilight Zone episode in order, by name, with a running time for how much was used at each point, and with the composer cited. He did not give time stamps.

Dan Hollis cited the same info except for the lengths used, and added the time stamps, and described what was happening in the moment, and occasionally how tracks were blended, when it was significant.

It seems like two separate projects that just overlapped well.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2018 - 2:07 PM   
 By:   jb1234   (Member)

I liked the Jailbreak cue quite a bit. Definitely Goldsmith in his early action style.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2018 - 4:41 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

Acetates deteriorate faster than LPs. 78s from the hi-fi era would not, if they were treated well.

Posted:   Sep 25, 2018 - 4:47 PM   

Well, these 78s are pretty rare, but both Ron Burbella's and Bill Wrobel's seem pretty poor in terms of sound quality, sadly. Worse than LPs of that era would be.

Yavar

Posted:   Sep 25, 2018 - 4:52 PM   

I would be really curious to hear what people think of them, as they really impressed me as strong examples of early Goldsmith.

Well, you know me. My favorite Goldsmith scores are "Twilight Zone" scores - the ones that do not feature the dreaded harmonica, at least - and "City of Fear."

So what do I think of those two tracks? I wouldn't trade them for the complete set of Goldsmith's ponytail scores.

And who the hell mispronounced "Herrmann" on that podcast?

Posted:   Sep 25, 2018 - 4:53 PM   

Well, these 78s are pretty rare, but both Ron Burbella's and Bill Wrobel's seem pretty poor in terms of sound quality, sadly. Worse than LPs of that era would be.

Yavar

That may be true, but that could be because they were pressed on lousy vinyl (or styrene) and/or played with the wrong needle. There is nothing in the 78 medium that makes them inherently worse than LPs, certainly not by the time that Goldsmith was working. Are you sure they were pressed, and that they are not acetates?