Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 8:32 AM   
 By:   Montana Dave   (Member)

I viewed the film on dvd the other night; it has remained on of my favorites over all these decades. I was lucky to get the 'promotional' cd from composer Rosenthal and Doug Fake back in the late 90's. During the viewing of the film it seemed there are many scenes of music that are not on the disc, though to be sure, the disc is well represented in it's cue selections of score. Still, some of the music in the film would be wonderful to have in a complete or expanded version and I've always thought this score to be Laurence Rosenthal's absolute very best work. Are there any others who love this score as well? Is there a reason the score has not been re-released on cd in a complete form? (lost tapes, etc?)

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 4:13 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

I've heard that the complete master tapes are lost, though it cries out for a Tadlow reconstruction. This was my second choice to win the Oscar for Best score, after Tiomkin's "The Fall Of The Roman Empire".

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 4:23 PM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

That DVD also has a wonderful half-hour documentary interview with Rosenthal on the music score. Make sure you look in on that. Interesting revelations on the Finale, and how to fool a meddling producer's longing for a happy ending with a bit of subtle major/minor clashing.

Apparently the Welsh folktune that appears for Sian Philips' character (on strings in the title) was suggested by Sian herself. She sings the song in Welsh at one point.

There's not that much extra music omitted from the CD. I could be wrong, but I think a few of the shorter cues may be rippable from the DVD, played upfront and unsullied as they are.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2013 - 7:02 PM   
 By:   George Komar   (Member)

Are there any others who love this score as well?

This has always been my favourite Rosenthal score, and I would love to hear a remastering of the Intrada "Windermere" CD (which I too own) or, better, a Tadlow re-recording. I agree with William, though, that most of the score is on the CD.