Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 15, 2019 - 4:11 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

My childhood memories of Battlestar Galactica are of the mixed variety. Even as an eight-year-old, the series felt forced and half-assed, and it didn't help that the show aired on a Sunday, when most every child was severely depressed about having to go to school the next day. However, I loved the spaceships, Lorne Greene, the Cylons, and Lucifer.

However, no matter how dire the typical episode was, I *always* tuned in to hear Patrick MacNee's gripping spoken introduction and above all, Stu's magnificent theme.

Thank you, Stu. I hope you realize just how much you mean to those of us "of a certain age."

Posted:   Sep 15, 2019 - 4:30 PM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

Now playing the aforementioned Hollyridge Strings Beatles Vol. 5, all Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour Tracks. Gorgeous.

Stu, what was the secret to getting that round, non-harsh sound from the violins? Was it simply EQ? Michel Legrand also got that smooth string sound during that period.

Posted:   Sep 15, 2019 - 8:11 PM   
 By:   Josh   (Member)

Posted:   Sep 16, 2019 - 11:54 AM   
 By:   rerunkr   (Member)

Now playing the aforementioned Hollyridge Strings Beatles Vol. 5, all Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour Tracks. Gorgeous.

Stu, what was the secret to getting that round, non-harsh sound from the violins? Was it simply EQ? Michel Legrand also got that smooth string sound during that period.

The sound that you are referring to was created with a combination of the magnificent echo chambers at Capitol and tape delay. (sending the original signal to a second tape machine before it gets to the master recording machine.) Have no knowledge of how Legrand did his.

SP

Posted:   Sep 16, 2019 - 12:10 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Looks just like a family reunion, with the more sensible ones supporting the over-excited kid on the way to the bathroom...

Happy belated birthday!