Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 6, 2021 - 6:48 PM   
 By:   Ostinato   (Member)

Tuesday Trivia: The photo below depicts the earliest examples of Godzilla music on CD, released in late 1986. All four albums started out as LPs in the early 80s, and interestingly, none of them contain original film cues. The two "Godzilla Legend Chronology" volumes present synthesizer arrangements of Showa-era themes, not only from Godzilla films but related monster flicks as well. The bottom left CD features the 1983 concert premiere of Akira Ifukube's "Symphonic Fantasia", a presentation of his most famous kaiju themes in three movements. The final CD, "Ostinato" consists of re-recordings of Toho monster themes, initially commissioned to accompany a video of Toho outtakes.

All of these CDs have since been repressed and/or reissued in various forms, but the curious attribute of these first editions is their flexible plastic, adhesive-backed obi's.

Nice trivia there! I don't think many know about that. I sure hope some are familiar with the albums at least.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2021 - 6:54 PM   

Complete Recordings 9 arrived this morning. It's in beautiful condition too! I tried to take a photo of the back side, but my phone's camera went screwy with the light settings.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2021 - 7:27 PM   
 By:   increbula   (Member)

It's quite possible I confused the sonosheet as an LP release at one point. LOL! I've always been curious as to what is exactly on the sonosheet. There's actually one listed at Yahoo Japan Auction for $5.

The sonosheet has one audio track, about 6 1/2 minutes long. It starts out with what sounds like a strummed Spanish guitar, followed by brief excerpts from "Storm", "Volcano" and most (if not all) of the other cues from the score. A female Japanese voice occasionally talks over the music, presumably to entice the listener into visiting the exhibit.

Below is a photo of the sonosheet and its sleeve, as well as the larger program booklet and envelope.

And here is a more detailed scan of the sonosheet.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2021 - 7:37 PM   

It's quite possible I confused the sonosheet as an LP release at one point. LOL! I've always been curious as to what is exactly on the sonosheet. There's actually one listed at Yahoo Japan Auction for $5.

The sonosheet has one audio track, about 6 1/2 minutes long. It starts out with what sounds like a strummed Spanish guitar, followed by brief excerpts from "Storm", "Volcano" and most (if not all) of the other cues from the score. A female Japanese voice occasionally talks over the music, presumably to entice the listener into visiting the exhibit.

Below is a photo of the sonosheet and its sleeve, as well as the larger program booklet and envelope.

And here is a more detailed scan of the sonosheet.

Thanks for the information! It sounds (and looks) wonderful.

Posted:   Apr 8, 2021 - 12:20 PM   

These beauties have arrived! I'm more than thrilled to now have them in my collection.

Posted:   Apr 8, 2021 - 3:49 PM   
 By:   MMM   (Member)

Comment removed because previous post was removed.

Posted:   Apr 9, 2021 - 1:05 AM   
 By:   Ifukube   (Member)

These beauties have arrived! I'm more than thrilled to now have them in my collection.

Nice pick ups! I no longer have the Terror of Mechagodzilla Futureland CD, but I always liked that front poster art a lot!

I just think it's a very cool, and now an extremely rare Godzilla soundtrack CD - this one doesn't show up too much anymore.

Posted:   Apr 9, 2021 - 2:22 AM   

Nice pick ups! I no longer have the Terror of Mechagodzilla Futureland CD, but I always liked that front poster art a lot!

I just think it's a very cool, and now an extremely rare Godzilla soundtrack CD - this one doesn't show up too much anymore.

Thanks! Come to think of it, I too don't see that particular album pop up all that much. Many of the Godzilla Complete Works Collection albums show up quite often, but that particular one not so much.