Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 7, 2013 - 11:52 AM   
 By:   Tobias   (Member)

What about Outbreak (1995) by James Newton Howard?

Of all those titles Varese owns in perpetuity JNH`s Outbreak is THE one I really would love to see as an expanded release.

Posted:   Jan 7, 2013 - 12:26 PM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

With Cutting Edge now owning Varese Sarabande, would The Affair of the Necklace be here?

Posted:   Jan 7, 2013 - 2:14 PM   
 By:   groovemeister   (Member)

First of all, i think Varése should release the scores that haven't been released on CD yet (Let's Get Harry, 52 Pick-UP, Revenge Of The Ninja, etc)

And i don't like expanded releases, where the added tracks are clearly from another source, or inferior in sound (Total Recall comes to mind)

Posted:   Jan 28, 2013 - 9:19 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

Since it seems that, with very few exceptions, all Varese titles for current films from some point in 1989 (presumably including stuff like The Abyss and Leviathan) onwards are held in perpetuity, could we set that issue aside for the moment and try to discuss what pre-90s titles Varese negotiated perpetuity rights for, as well as any vintage scores released in the 90s where they retained perpetuity rights (ie. Planet of the Apes; even though other labels including Intrada had released albums before Varese shelled out for rights to control it).

So far here's what we've got:

Albums released pre-90s:
Eye of the Needle
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (both of those simply because Varese produced and released re-recordings, which also reserved them the rights for any future release of the original score recordings)
Cocoon: The Return (I believe this has been confirmed elsewhere although there's been no mention of it here)
The Final Conflict (compounded by the later DE?)
Lionheart (if we're counting Masters Film Music titles)
Peggy Sue Got Married (according to this thread)

Albums released in the 90s and beyond (many of these are "Deluxe Editions" so we probably can't be expecting any further expanded version from Varese; unfortunately these need to be confirmed to be in perpetuity because, for example, Intrada released complete Robocop and Great Train Robbery albums *after* Varese put out extended editions):
The Omen
Damien: Omen II
Aliens
Our Man Flint/In Like Flint (confirmed by Roger at Intrada; they own the film recordings whereas Intrada can license the album recordings from UMG and is working on it...hopefully Varese will release the complete scores when the Blu-rays come out?)
Total Recall (because of the DE?)
Poltergeist II (because of the DE?)
Stargate (because of the DE?)
The Other/Mephisto Waltz?
Cleopatra?
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir?

What can other people add to this list?

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 9:12 AM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

New entry for the list: MV has confirmed that Varese holds the rights to John Williams "The Cowboys" in perpetuity right here:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=97236&forumID=1&archive=0

Posted:   Jul 12, 2013 - 3:38 AM   
 By:   Grimsdyke   (Member)

I think they also control BRAINSTORM because otherwise Intrada, LaLa, etc. would have surely released the original tracks by now !!

Posted:   Jul 12, 2013 - 7:21 AM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

I think they also control BRAINSTORM because otherwise Intrada, LaLa, etc. would have surely released the original tracks by now !!

I'm sure that's right. The album states that it is a Varese recording.

Posted:   Oct 16, 2013 - 2:45 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Confirmed today by MV as still in perpetuity:

"April Fools' Day" (Charles Bernstein)

Posted:   Nov 24, 2013 - 2:28 AM   
 By:   lostboy408   (Member)

Of all those titles Varese owns in perpetuity JNH`s Outbreak is THE one I really would love to see as an expanded release.

I wish on top of that we could also get an expanded release of Dreamcatcher by James Newton Howard. I don't know if it's owned in Perpetuity or not as Varese's own website doesn't even to claim to have released it (same goes for Outbreak for some reason)

Posted:   Nov 24, 2013 - 3:13 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

I wish on top of that we could also get an expanded release of Dreamcatcher by James Newton Howard. I don't know if it's owned in Perpetuity or not as Varese's own website doesn't even to claim to have released it (same goes for Outbreak for some reason)

Ditto on both!