Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 14, 2013 - 3:12 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

thanks for another amazing grail!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8285/.f

SALEM'S LOT

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 256
Date: 1979
Tracks: 84
Time = 99:53

World premiere 2-CD release of powerhouse soundtrack by Harry Sukman for sensational TV mini-series from Stephen King vampire novel, directed by Tobe Hooper, starring David Soul, Bonnie Bedelia, James Mason, Lance Kerwin. Sukman writes large orchestra score in equal parts gothic action, dramatic melody, over-the-top horror. Main theme begins in declamatory fashion with powerful fortissimo chords in full orchestra, then launches into dynamic bass trombone ostinato suggesting "Dies Irae" with minor-key French horns in game of tag with trombone. Idea appears sparingly, allowing for abundance of other dramatic ideas, beautiful love theme, frightening action cues. Clever use of pizzicato strings introduces numerous vampire sequences. When score comes to final "Conclusion", Sukman returns with fortissimo chords as producer credit appears on screen, then launches into closing statement of "Dies Irae" ostinato for "End Credits". Composer actually prepared three versions of conclusion, all three appear here. Entire score mixed, presented from pristine condition multi-channel stereo masters vaulted at Warner Bros. Two-disc set also has cues Sukman subsequently re-fashioned for edited feature version of picture. Standing out here is dramatic coda climaxing in powerful fortissimo unison for entire orchestra. Stunning finish to lengthy 99-minute ride! One of the great seventies scores! Harry Sukman conducts. Intrada Special Collection available while quantities and interest remain!

Posted:   Oct 14, 2013 - 3:13 PM   
 By:   Grozebear   (Member)

Yup, ordered this one - think I'll watch the mini-series tonight!

Posted:   Oct 14, 2013 - 3:49 PM   
 By:   Perky_Norm   (Member)

Wasn't expecting these to be up quite so soon - a very pleasant surprise to see this and Buck Rogers available to buy, and a nice way to end the day here in the UK... burning more money on soundtracks wink

Thank you Intrada for making yet more soundtrack magic happen - two more grails off the list. One to go, and it might well have something to do with my avatar wink

These samples sound utterly fantastic!!! Such clarity - bears little resemblance to the hissy murky *unmentionable* I've put up with for years. Fantastic! smile

P_N

Posted:   Oct 14, 2013 - 3:58 PM   
 By:   Mr. Vyse   (Member)

I'd encourage everyone to go listen to the samples...holy smokes. Never knew this music could sound so good, even in samples. Can't wait to get the CDs.

EDIT: And no, I hadn't seen Perky_Norm's post yet. Looks like the samples are just *that* good.

Posted:   Oct 14, 2013 - 4:22 PM   
 By:   Browny   (Member)

Absolutely stunning!

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that this would see the light of day!! I had scoured all of the record shops in 1981 when this first aired on Australian television to no avail -- it was obvious that this made for television mini-series was not going to get an official LP release.

That didn't stop me hunting record shops back in the day and hoping it would be eventually released in CD format. I never stopped hoping and I guess perserverance pays off. Thanks to Intrada and all concerned for bringing this holy grail to fruition. Most of us would have no idea about all of the hard work involved with licensing and remastering this but I know it would be so appreciated by the fans to finally hold it in our hot little hands. The sound samples are terrific. This landmark release will make a lot of people happy indeed, including yours truly.

Like a few on this board, I had heard the unmentionable which had shocking sound quality but to have this complete and then some, and in stereo, and in the best audio representation one could hope for, is like a dream come true.

Not sure if this is a limited release but as it has been requested so often to all of the major labels over the years, I would imagine it will sell rather well. Day one purchase and so ordered. Again thank you Intrada.

The Harry Sukman legacy lives on.

Posted:   Oct 14, 2013 - 4:48 PM   
 By:   SBD   (Member)

Listened to the samples. Amazing.

I hope this hangs around for a while.

Posted:   Oct 14, 2013 - 4:57 PM   
 By:   Perky_Norm   (Member)

Listened to the samples. Amazing.

I hope this hangs around for a while.

Really do sound stunning don't they - like being in the studio. Listening to these samples repeatedly at the moment. The stereo really opens it all out wonderfully, and (cliche) it really is like hearing it for the first time. This one's going to get a LOT of plays. 99minutes and 2-CDs (pinches arm - nope not a dream razz)

I think this score will rightfully get a whole new legion of (undead) fans now wink

As for quantities, it says on Intrada's site available as long as quantities & interest remain. A tad cryptic...

P_N