Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 24, 2021 - 10:48 AM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Anyone else notice in the last 8 seconds or so of “Dust” - is that Jerry humming along with the orchestra? Kinda like when he got carried away on one of those Rudy cues?

My apologies. I was thinking of another cue, "CASH" to be be more precise. (at 3:25).

This "anomaly" was mentioned in a review of the score in Soundtrack Magazine (IIRC) back in the day, and if I'm not mistaken, the review also mentioned the neat throwback to Capricorn One in the score.

Does anyone have access to copies of Soundtrack, and if so could they please confirm if possible.

Review by Roger Feigelson – Originally published in Soundtrack Magazine Vol. 6/No. 22/1987:

https://cnmsarchive.wordpress.com/portfolio/extreme-prejudice/

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

Posted:   Jul 24, 2021 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

“ The tone changes to a slight Latin flavor that suddenly erupts into powerful trombone chords and for two seconds — the only time in the entire score – a male chorus is heard chanting in the background.”

Why would he use a male chorus for like two seconds out of the entire score? Weird

Posted:   Jul 24, 2021 - 12:08 PM   
 By:   johnonymous86   (Member)

“ The tone changes to a slight Latin flavor that suddenly erupts into powerful trombone chords and for two seconds — the only time in the entire score – a male chorus is heard chanting in the background.”

Why would he use a male chorus for like two seconds out of the entire score? Weird

He did something similar in Star Trek Insurrection--pretty sure it was a synthetic choir but it only appears for maybe a bar or two. I think it was a moment of enforcing the "existential" threat in the plot but I've never seen Extreme Prejudice so I can't comment on that usage in that film.

Choirs, with their religious connotations, are usually added to create an elevated feeling of gravity or seriousness to a film.